Having trouble with my penmanship.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone have trouble writing? It seems like my brain and my hand have a delayed reaction. I've been taking Gab for many years but recently my dose was increased. I take it for pinched nerve in my neck from a car accident almost 20 yrs ago. Would be interested to know if anyone else is having trouble with writing.  Thank you in advance.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm taking 300mg x 4/day.

• Posted

I am on 1800mg a day (600 x 3).

It should relax the muscles and help with pain.

I have times when I can not think of a word and question my own spelling.

Have you been on a while or are you new to this drug?

Are you stressed at all? stress or having too much to do will cause this along with lack of sleep.?

Xx

• Posted

I've been taking it for a long time.  I tried it years ago but decided to get off because I was having trouble performing my job.  I call it my "stupid" pill.  When the doctor suggested I try it again, I was reluctant but we couldn't manage my neck pain any other way so I tried it again.  However, it the meantime, I've been put on ritalin to manage my ADHD.  This time the Gabapentin doesn't seem to be making me so stupid until my dose was increase to the 1200mg.  I just can't write and I have trouble finding words.  I just turned 60 so I shouldn't be having cognitive problems already, should I?
  • Posted

Hi Liz, I am 62 and recently started taking Gabapentin to help with the pain I have in my head, neck and my left eye. I also am finding it difficult to write or use a keyboard without making lots of typo errors. You are right their is definately a timelag between what you think and what you write. I hope you find a solution that helps!
  • Posted

I have been taking 1200 mil. A day for about 3 mos. I did notice my penmanship had changed drastically .  I did not understand why.  I was not sure if it was the meds or not.  I did not see where that was one of the side effects.  I am gad you posted that.
  • Posted

I am on 300mg 2xday now and don't have as many problems as I did on a higher dose. I couldn't remember names quickly and my spelling which is normally second to none went completely out the window, had to start using the dictionary and questioning myself a lot. I am not so bad now, but not back to normal. I am 51 and was starting to think I had Alzheimers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.