Having vision issues so weeks after the exam? Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Help? :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, new here. I had started seeing some floaters and went to my Eye Doctor. He was concerned about Retinal Detachment, and decided to dilate my eyes with special drops and check them. This was the first time I had ever had my eyes dilated. The Doc said my eyes and vision were fine, and the floaters were nothing to worry about. However, following the test, I experienced horrible and strange vision symptoms for hours afterwards (blurry vision and extreme sensitivity to light, mainly). I wasn't really aware that you should avoid light and such after such an exam, and really wasn't probably as careful as I should've been. I exposed my eyes to plenty of light, tried to watch TV, etc., which only made them feel worse.

The day after, these symptoms had gone away, only to be replaced with something much worse. It's difficult to describe, but when looking at bright lights or images, or even just something "busy" (like a grocery isle with lots of different food items) my eyes will start to "ache", I guess? It's a strange sensation that is hard to describe, not pain exactly, but similar to it. They will ache more and more, and it will also become difficult to focus on whatever I'm looking at, and I will also start to feel dizzy a bit. This feeling continues until I look away from whatever is causing my eyes distress.

It has been like this for almost two weeks now, and has not really gotten better. I can't watch TV for long, and have to wear sunglasses when going outside. I'm not sure where to turn for this. Can't find much Online, and I'm terrified to go back to the Eye Doctor, because I fear he will want to do more tests which could make it even worse. Has anyone here experienced anything like this? Could I have severely strained or maybe even damaged my eyes because I wasn't careful enough after the eye exam? Any info or advice would greatly appreciated, please help me. 😦

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, kc - Have you got back in touch with your eye doctor? I doubt you've caused any damage, though the eye doctor should have told you to wear sunglasses the rest of the day after your dilation.I'd go back for another look to at least relieve your concerns. Until then don't be shy about wearing sunglasses (even in the store) until you're feeling better. Please let us know how things go...

• Posted

No, haven't been in touch with them. Kinda afraid I'd get dilated again and it would make things work. I guess I could go back, and just say no if he wants to do that again. I feel like I must've strained them badly or something, but I don't really know, so I guess a visit to the Doctor will be the best course. Will make an appointment, thx dude.

• Posted

Hi KC

Try not to worry (not always easy I know).

I had / have something very similar. I think if you are naturally an anxious type of person there is a tendency to over concentrate on everything after the dilation test, and never quite regard things the same way afterwards. I am pretty sure no damage could have resulted from the dilation test itself, but like i say, it can be bit scary and make you overly conscious of things thereafter, that you wouldn't otherwise bother about. I had my diagnosis of PVD some 7 months ago now and was petrified at first and was thinking about my eyes and my vision almost constantly for weeks (if not months) after. its so difficult not to. Every little thing, that normally would not have bothered me i attributed to my condition. But, please let me reassure you this reduces greatly over time.

Take care

• Posted

I really don't think this is something I just didn't notice before. Never experienced anything like this. My eyes just don't feel right, and certain things like TV really, really bother them now. 😦

• Posted

kc - I think it might be a better option for you to get a second opinion. Don't return to the original eye doctor. S/he will not be able to view the back of your eye without dilating it, but it will be worth you getting an exam without one anyway. Good luck!

• Posted

Hm, yeah, this sounds like good advice. Will see who I can find.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.