HBP Spikes

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello:

I get terrible BP spikes (175/100) after weeks of normalcy (120/80).  It doesn’t usually last long, sometimes only minutes, but it scares me and then, of course, my BP goes even higher.  If I go to ER and it’s up like that it doesn’t usually phase them and within 10/15 minutes it gone down.  Sometimes I get a headache and chest tightness with it.

I currently take Avapro, HCTZ, Atenolol and Aspirin.  My Primary Care and Cardiololgist call it labile (?) and want to put me on CCB.  I’ve heard horror stories about those and am terrified to take.  I feel like a stroke is imminent and worry that the stroke won’t kill me, but instead leave unable to care for myself.

What can I do?  Please help!  😢

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was having those kind of spikes for a couple months and I was just fine through all of them.  My doctors thought they were vasospasms.   Anxiety seemed to make them worse, so staying relaxed is important.
  • Posted

The CCB's are not always terrible.  I take one a day, and once I'd overcome the initial side effects, it had a decent impact on my BP.  I used to go up to 180/110, but average about 120/90 these days.  It goes without saying that the more you worry about the harder it will be to get it under control, and at times my numbers, and checking my numbers have dominated my life, which only served to make me more stressed.  I've really had to adopt lifestyle changes to see any real and sustained impact on my BP.  Exercise - walking the dog, cycling, they work for me.  Keeping a close eye on my salt intake, making sensible food choices, getting enough sleep, trying to stay relaxed and calm, and drinking hibiscus tea.  My pharmacist said to me that there are over 70 types of BP medication, and that I shouldn't be afraid to ask my doctor for a change if the side effects are unpleasant.  I'm about to do that for the Losartan I take, which has made me gain weight, and played havoc with my stomach.

Stay strong!

• Posted

Hi anne12264,

Sorry to hear about the iregular high blood pressure, I too have suffered from this issue for quite some time.

My doctor prescribed me Atenolol 50 mg which I take once daily along with a baby Aspirin 81mg. I drink one gallon of water a day, I switched to decalf coffee and implemented more salads and veggies into my daily diet. I also started walking for 30 minutes a day and in 3 months I lost 20 pounds. My BP is now at 115 on average, sometimes it even drops and I get dizzy so I need to probably adjust my mg.

Anyways do the following: drink water, eat better, excerise, and trust in the process. Best of luck to you anne12264.

• Posted

Hi anne12264....blag72 is so right. The more you worry about the readings, the higher it can become. Blood Pressure fluctuates from minute to minute. You could be 125/78 one minute, then 138/80 the next. This is normal.

Your taking Avapro, HCTZ, Atenolol & Aspirin. Why are you taking aspirin?? Atenolol is one of the better beta blockers. Thank your stars you're not taking Metropolol. 

Calcium Channel blockers can do a good job, but with any medication everyone is different. Some have no problems with it, while others have to come off. I don't believe in starting with a high dose, but rather a smaller one, then increase if necessary. One of the most common side effects of calcium channel blockers is swollen feet, & legs. A few years ago, I was taking Amlodipine, 5mg...All was ok, but then it wasn't controlling the bp. So, my Dr. at the time, increased the dosage to 10mg. Not good. My feet & legs were too swollen..off the Amlodipine.

I have a relative who takes Amlodipine without any problems whatsoever., & I also have a friend who takes it as well. Again, no problems. 

Try  your best not to let anxiety control things. This is easier said than done, but believe me the anxiety is not your friend. Whenever you start to feel the headache coming on, or whatever, try to busy yourself...get a good distraction.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.