Head feels like its filled with smoke

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been having these weird headaches. I've had them before, about every other day, and lately, it's been happening every day. It doesn't always ache per say, but it feels like my head is filled with smoke to the point where I can almost smell it. When it does hurt, it's mostly on the left side of my head. No one smokes in the house, and it can happen anywhere, so I don't think it's from actual smoke. If I take any medicine, it might reduce any pain but usually not the smokiness. I can't really determine any triggers- I just wake up and soon, it happens. I've also had eye pain for a long time(not always with a headache, but usually), which happens practically every day, at least lately. I can't find a trigger for that either. In the past, I'd usually get a sore throat with these headaches, but nowadays I don't. I often get nausea too, and I've been having heartburn lately(I don't know if that's related. I've had chest pain before and basically determined it was heartburn). My grandma suggested maybe it's sinuses, but it was thinking it was happening too often to be that. Plus, people I've talked to haven't heard of a smoky headache. I haven't found anything online yet about one either. Has anyone else had this smoky feeling, and what did you do about it? If meds won't do it, I'll at least ask about it at my next checkup. I'm 18, by the way.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

About a month ago, I experienced something similar. I was reading a book with migraine symptoms present when all the sudden I could swear that I smelled smoke, but no one else in the house at that time could smell it. My throat hurt for a while afterwards and I was left perplexed.  I searched online and apparently Phantosmia, or phantom smells, can be triggered by temporal lobe seizures, epilepsy, or head trauma. Phantosmia is also associated with Alzheimer's and occasionally with the onset of a migraine. It’s weird that you can’t find any triggers and that you experience this regularly. If medication doesn’t work, maybe you could try natural remedies such as ice for your eyes, and essential oils for the smoky feeling? Definitely ask your primary care doctor about this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.