Head laceration

Posted , 2 users are following.

Three weeks ago I sustained a deep laceration to my scalp. The gash is almost horseshoe shaped. The ER was able to staple part of it, but not all. They told me that this one flap of skin would die and a scab would form around it as new skin grew underneath. This piece of hard dead skin is still there. How long will it take to come off?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Joseph,

To be totally honest with you and the best advice I could give you instead of playing the waiting game for whats going to happen anyways is too take a shower and get that peice of died tissue soft again since you said it's all hard. Get it where that peice is soft a go ahead and remove it via fingernail clippers. If it's going to fall off anyways why wait?? Then the healing process of you scalp can start now and not later. Leaving the died tissue kinda leaves an open area on your head to get infected because the issue is still attached to living issue and yes we shead but not in chunks but like I said if you remove the issue the healing process for the hole in your head can start when the died issue is removed. The body believe it or not is still trying to hold on to your little friend.

• Posted

I was advised not to pick at it or try to pull it off. How long will it take to naturally fall off?
  • Posted

Man I said to cut it off not pick at it with your fingers or pull on it so it will start to tear like hangnail but if you instist on doing what your told instead of doing the math it could be another month. Like I said before guy we shead but not in chunks so in order for that peice to disappear it's going to get ripped off in your sleep or when your not really paying attention to it so my suggestion was to remove it not play with it

• Posted

It is not hanging loose like a flap on a coat pocket. It is laying flat against the hole it came out of, so there is nothing to cut. Since you want get your shorts in bundle with all the, " I said this and I said that" and act like I didn't get what you were saying, I will clear it up. I never asked how to remove it. I only asked how long it would take to naturally fall off. As far as doing what I am told, I am going to listen to the advice of a skilled professional, rather than the advice of an internet wise ass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.