head & neck ache for 4 weeks.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm on Topiramate (2 tabs twice daily) and have been for a good 8 months or so now. I've now been put on Naproxen and 15/500 cocodamol to help with this pain and it doesn't seem to be helping. Pain in neck is from position I hold it because of pain in my head (I think). I'm holding it to the left because if I hold it upright the pain in my head is worse. Pain in head is really weird and varies from dull ache to stabbing to sharp and quick to burning sensation. Its in back and its above ear. Also get a headache in forehead. I'm experiencing dizziness too & a strange spaced out feeling. I just don't feel right at all. Any insight into what could be cause of this or what could help? I think I'm going to get another doctors appt. next week.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It sounds awful. I think you have a neck problem which is sending the pain over your head. The fact that the pain is above your ear also fits in with that.

5 doctors failed to see that I have a problem with my neck and upper shoulder muscles which is causing the headaches. As long as they checked me for meningitis and stroke and could rule those out they weren't interested. Take Amytriptaline for ever, you'll not get headaches was my GPs answer. They made me feel awful.

ive seen a chiropractor and although she hadn't been able to cure it yet ( only been 2 weeks) I know exactly what us wrong and how the headaches are caused. I'm working on her treatments and also reading about acupressure online. I was sceptical but it works. 

Try looking online at neck muscles and referred pain. 

Hope it improves.

• Posted

Went back to the doctor today. She said she thinks the trapezius muscle is in spasm. She's given me more diazepam (enough for 2 days) and told me to continue with hot water bottle and to rub deep heat into the area. I have had a little relief in my shoulder and back since taking diazepam and have been able to move my neck more. The headache however has not gone away. Hoping that over the next couple of days I see more improvement. She told me that if its no better by the time I need to go back to work Saturday then I should go back and see her. So if I'm still feeling rubbish on Friday morning the doctors will be getting another call off me. Fingers crossed I won't need to though. I am trying to stay hopeful! 
  • Posted

I can now move my neck a lot more, its just very sore to touch, especially where my neck meets my skull. Continuing with deep heat, diazepam and my other meds. My headache seems to have settled a little too. Fingers crossed this continues to improve :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.