Head pain after MVD

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 7 weeks out from my surgery and still experiencing head pain. My surgeon took me off Tramadol which was helping and now I'm left with OTC which last barely a couple of hours at best. He said it sounds like my Occipital nerve has not settled down yet. He suggested a pain management doctor who would numb the nerve. Has anyone experienced this problem?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

are you spasm free ? my surgery was unsuccessful . i have worst spasms now than preop

• Posted

Yes, no spasms but I have some facial pain and I continue to take a low dose of LYRICA. My Dr. said I may have to take it for awhile. Other than the darn head pain I feel pretty good.

Sorry to hear that you are still in pain.

I hope there is another avenue for you to take. I wish you the best.

C

• Posted

Hi Carole

Did you have TN1? Even in successful cases, MVD can sometimes take a while to settle down. There will be quite a bit of inflammation around the area of the pad insertion at the root of the ganglion. I was on carbamazepine high dose before my MVD and it took about 2 months to wean myself off it gradually.

Good luck

Big D

• Posted

Yes I did. Still on LYRICA, a low dose.

Guess patience is the rule here, not one of my strong points!

Thanks for your info,

C

• Posted

I hope your pain gets resolved. My Dr. said it may be the occipital nerve and that could be resolved. I guess time will tell, This surgery was more invasive than I thought.

• Posted

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your pain. I had MVD 1/2017 and the TN pain was better but then I had head pain in the back of my head. They thought it was the Occipital nerve but now determined that it is the auricular nerve which they are now trying to burn since meds don't help. I don't know which is worse....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.