Head pain! Tumour?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Back in April I started getting really bad head pains. It felt like someone came up to me and hit me in the back of the head with a brick! I'd grab my head and cry out in pain. Any sudden jolt would cause it like sneeze or my child head butting me as toddlers do! I'd have 3 or 4episodes a day! Felt like an incredibly bad ice pick headache. I went to my GP and she said it was referred neck pain and gave me painkillers. It got worse so I went a&e where they did a CT, MRI, bloods, neurological tests and came back clear. After a few days it subsided and went. Lasted about 10 days in total.

The past few days it feels like it's coming back. I don't know if I should go GP again. I just keep thinking it's a brain tumour!

I just keep waiting to pass out or for my nose to start bleeding

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like occipital neuralia to me. I get the same intense short bursts of pain but around the temple & top of eye sometimes the jaw plus the top row of teeth. Not to be confused though with trigeminal neuralgia which is similar. Short bursts that last for only a few seconds with no rhyme or reason! I personally have many other typical symptoms of occipital neuralgia inc different types of arthritis in my neck/spine. I'm currently waiting for my mri results.

It's frustrating like you say you can go for months with no attacks and then out of the blue get several per day.

I'm female, 50 yes old btw.

Good luck with a more accurate diagnosis

• Posted

Hi planet,

Do you get any treatment for your neuralgia? I'm 43 female.

• Posted

Hi Renee, no not as yet simply because they are waiting for the mri results. Mri was carried out on the 20th Sept. I had an Upright one as these are superior for arthritis.

I take no pain meds for my considerable pain by choice. The doctors and consultants think I'm crazy to not jump on the pain meds - but I have been going through diagnosis for over a year and I didn't want to mask the symptoms. I also forgot to mention I subconsciously clamp my teeth together when I sleep. I know this because when I wake I can feel the pressure that has built up in my jaw joint and my teeth hurt! Bruxism.

It's weird because I had none of these things until I was 46. Then the peri menopause started followed by joint/spine pain and what feels like one thing after another. At 49 I entered the menopause confirmed by hormone blood tests.

These weird headaches, these intense attacks that come out of the blue are alarming aren't they. The slightest twinge in the head/scalp area and you start thinking...oh no, not again and how painful is this episode going to be. If you've Google occipital neuralgia you will see it's quite hard to treat anyway. I will keep you upto date on my results if they cast any light

• Posted

Hi Renee,

Many years ago, out of the blue, I started to get frightening pains in the back of my head

It would come on as soon as I started to exert myself at work, the building trade. Then over a matter of weeks it came on much easier. Eventually, even walking up 2-3 steps would start it off..

The pressure started to pound in the back of my head, then as if someone had my head in a vice, the pain knocked me to the floor, believe me I was no lightweight at the time, strong as an oxe.

I went to my GP several times to discount headaches/meagraine. After X rays and mris an Neurologist put me on Stations, never looked back, no more pains in my head.

Mike.

• Posted

Statins not stations Damn auto correct!!!
    • Posted

Hi mike

Thanks for your reply. Did your doctor say why he prescribed statins? They're used for lowering cholesterol right?

• Posted

Hi Renee,

My cholesterol was naturally high, that is to say diet was not the problem, so the only thing the neurosurgeon thought it could be was thickened arteries, not sure what it was but the pain was incredible. Just a point but I am very lucky in that I do not get headaches, never. Probably in last 30 years had about two natural headaches, this was tracked down to m

y drinking decaff coffee without realising it.

Mike.

• Posted

Thanks for that. I will ask when my last cholesterol test was. I know I live a sedatory lifestyle as it is so expect it's prob not great and have thyroid problems which can cause high cholesterol So worth getting checked anyway and rule it out if it's not the cause!

• Posted

Sorry only now getting back to you I think you should go to your GP and have it checked out. It could be a few things such as stress not enough sleep but get it checked out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.