Head Pressure, Brain moves, fatigue, dizzy...and noone knows what is wrong

Posted , 3 users are following.

My story, much like others, began about 8 weeks ago. Sitting watching TV and scrolling FB and suddenly I felt (best words I can find) my brain move. At the same time I became dizzy and got serious double vision. My heart rate accelerated, but there was no pain in the heart or chest.

I was taken by ambulance to the ER and diagnosed with anxiety. (UGH!) Two days later, the exact same episode happend, only this time, I was so fatigued I could barely stand, my heart was racing, I felt out of it. Back to the ER, and another diagnosis of anxiety after running blood work.

Three days later, this headache came on...serious brain zaps, pounding, it was debilitating. I would have the same episodes as above at least once a day. I was unable to do anything but lay in a ball and cry. Long story short, it is 8 weeks later and although the "migraines" aren't as bad, I am left with all day, every day head pressure. Constant brain fog. Tingling constantly in my fingers and feet. Sudden feelings of nausea, dirreahea for the last 3 weeks. I constantly feel like my head is buzzing, my hearing is affected., and my vision sometimes is affected. My head constantly feels like a lead ball and sometimes my brain literally feels like it's flip flopping in my head. I get numbness in my lips and face, and sometimes a twitching only under my right eye. The episodes are terrifying.

I have been through a series of tests-all normal to include a ton of bloodwork, Lyme, CT scan, MRI, EEG, EKG, I'm currently wearing a 30 day heart monitor (and I don't believe it is heart related but my heart does react when these episodes come on.

I was put on Propoanolol, 10 MG 2X a day for migraines and holy hell...I had every side effect on the lable. It literally made me think I was dying. Thankfully I weened off. My primary care said we can go bankrupt pulling blood work aimlessly but she doesnt recommend it. I am being put on a really low dose of Amitriptoline today and i am petrified of the side effects. I was also put on Magnesium and B2. I am starting B12 today too because I read it could help. I ordered a cervical pillow because someone recommended it.

I don't believe this is anxiety (although i have had it my whole life.) I have cleaned up my diet, do daily Yoga and meditation, don't drink alcohol anymore.

I feel afraid all the time, especially when the bad episodes come on. And I am so fatigued from having this all day, all night brain pressure, brain zaps, exhaustion.

I am on the hunt for a new neurologist because the last one wont work with me anymore since the CT scan and MRI showed nothing. I am a mere shell of who I once was. No motivation, constantly uncomfortable, it's difficult to work, and I am pretty much anxious all the time because no one seems to know what is wrong. To say that I am terrified every minute of every day is an understatement, although i do try to meditate often to curb the anxiety.

It's so frustrating to not be able to function and no one in the medical community seems to know where to go next. Just wondering if anyone else on here has had similar issues. I have never been suicidal but I swear some days, I'm so tired, I feel like I can't deal with one more minute of this.

Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

anxiety does a lot more than we think, i should know. last 4 years i have been to ER 19 times!!!!!!!! no problem ever found. head pains is one of them. i don’t know if you believe in god, but he can help. just relax my friend .. YOU ARE OK!!!!!!

• Edited

Oh my friend. I have been closer to God than I ever have been. I do daily talks, prayers...I really am leaning on him. In true human nature though I wish he work a little faster....

• Posted

Hi Erin,

Sounds like you have been through a lot lately!

I don't know if I can help, but I will try offer suggestions for you to try.

The meds you are taking now, seem like they aren't helping and only making you feel worse, would that be fair to say?

What I can say from experience is that whatever condition you have, anxiety will only make it seem worse, you think of the worst possible scenario.

Have you been tested for iron and b12 deficiency when they did blood work? Some of the symptoms you have mentioned could be attributed to this.

I have suffered cluster headaches and hemiplegic migraine for a long time now and it was also discovered that I was low on iron as well, so I have to have iron supplements as an ongoing thing just to get a decent level.

Do you have a lot of stress in your life? When my mother died I was in hospital every other week with the H migraine because the stress just amplified the condition.

Its great that you are trying yoga, do you do any exercise regime too?

Here to try and help Erin.

• Posted

Hi Personal,

It's been a living hell. I am a do'er and lately I can barely make it through a work day. They did test my iron, which was fine. I don't see B12 so I will definitely mention that and have it done. I made an appointment with an ENT because my ears and sinuses feel really blocked (even though i got them checked at Urgent care twice and they said all clear), I can tell there is a blockage because I did some Neti Pot treatments, and you can hear that the canal isn't functioning right. I am hoping maybe this is contributing to the headaches and the ENT can offer some meds. I also made an appointment to remove my IUD because I read that they can cause migraines OR if you have migranes, make them worse. I am 46, so about to probably be in perimenoause, so I am going to give my body a break wherever I can. I definitely understand about the anxiety making it worse. But i 100% know something else is going on, we just need to find it. I do feel like it is something stupid we are just missing. Maybe a bad case of Vertigo--or a deficiency somewhere..maybe my IUD...I haven't been able to do much other exercise because it really makes my head pound, especially around the ears since I have issues with those. It's not worth the pain for the little reward. Out of curiosity, are you only taking the vitamin supplements for your migraines and is that enough? I have been reading about a lot of migraine medications and it's strikes me as weird that beta blockers and this 1990s SSRI (Amitriptoline) is what they prescribed me when there are a hundred migraine meds available. I'm sure there is a reason, but i would love to know if you found a medication that helped!

• Posted

Hi Erin,

I don't take vitamins to ease my migraines, I take them because I have low iron levels and Vit C helps to get iron into the system. The problem is I have to take calcium and Vit D because I have Osteoporosis as well and calcium inhibits iron, so I have to space these out.

With regards to specific treatments for migraines, I take Sumatriptan tablets if I get an attack and Pregabalin and Verapamil to help prevent them. With Sumatriptan they make various forms and I found that when I was very sick, I needed injections!

I also have to use a sinus rinse twice daily as I get a lot of congestion. Neil Med is the brand and its good. I have to take a steroid nasal spray too.

I know that if you are deficient in Magnesium this can cause migraines too. My levels are OK so don't bother to take it.

Good luck Erin, hope you find the answers you are looking for, but do let me know how you get on please and if you have more questions, happy to help.

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.