Head pressure, foggy head after flu - sinusitis infection??

Posted , 26 users are following.

I really need somebody to put my mind at ease at this point. I am a 20 years old guy in Montreal and a couple of weeks ago I went through a really bad cold/flu. I couldn't go to work one day because of how bad I felt. The symptoms I had were mild fevers, extreme fatigue, congested nose of white mucus and the other usual symptoms of a cold. I noticed that cold was more aggressive than the usual colds I've had before. I also noticed my nose was extremely congested, I kept blowing my nose frequently and had lots of white mucus coming out of it. Once the cold began to go away I began experiencing a lot of pressure in my head (sinuses areas and kind of in the back of my head), confusion kind of feelings with dizziness, brain fog and still a congested nose but dry (white mucus always). Together with all of this I have been experiencing anxiety spells because of the frustration of not knowing exactly what to do about it.

It has been a little over a week since all of this started and I believe this could be a sinus infection. I just got a decongestant with saline solution and got some tree tea oil to inhale with boiling water once a day. I have been feeling better very slowly throughout the week but I am TERRIFIED this could be something not related with a sinus infection. I have been googlying my symptoms like crazy and found stories from people experiencing this stuff for years and that scares the sh* out of me. The brain fog has been very frustrating because it has been affecting my concentration and short term memory. That kind of comes and goes but it is very frustrating since I don't have any memories of experiencing this before.

As far as I know, I haven't had any allergies my whole life and I don't think that is the root of the problem because as I said earlier, I had a really bad cold before this. I know colds can cause sinus infections afterwards.

I don't have access to doctors for now because I am an international student about to graduate next month. I don't have a health card or insurance to cover me with medication or doctors. I am hoping the decongestant and the tea tree oil might cure me so I am waiting a week to see how I feel but the anxiety about this has been killing me because I don't really know whats going on. Please anyone that has experienced this before or has any idea of what is this help me out!

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It started off with the stomach flu virus with me as soon as that started to get better all my sinus issues started congested on top of my head and fluid moving around in my ears

It's also bought on depression and anxiety I am in a right old state been like this with the sinus problem for 10 days now anyone else like this?🙁

• Posted

Thank goodness for forums like this,  feeling unwell is so isolating.. The only thing I notice is that nobody concludes once they are feeling better, we are left hanging - are they well? What was the cure? wink I got parainfluenza type 3, two and a half weeks ago, low fever and sore throat with intense sinus congestion on day 4, mucus for only two days but since then the pressure and headaches have been unbearable... It’s been 10 days now of pressure - headaches in back and top of head, also behind eyes, but no mucus.. Also one ear was blocked but that has improved today.  I’ve been steaming, snorting up salt water, hot compresses and taking loads of supplements - kaloba, vit C, zinc, garlic.. My head feels heavy like a bowling ball, my vision feels ‘slow’ , brain fog and so much fatigue.. I was also getting waves of extreme anxiety - but have since become diagnosed with viral induced POTS syndrome, so now am unsure if the headaches are sinus or not.. All just depressing - I was so healthy just weeks ago and now can barely get off the couch and when I do have energy I still have the bowling ball headache., Sorry for the novel but hoping someone out there has any results for similar stuff? 
    • Posted

Hi

I hope you get better, Wednesday I felt great thought I was over it. Went out to dinner,food shopped..then Thursday exhausted, depressed. I never get depressed,I did have anxiety a month ago with it. I don't understand this virus or flu.

I like you are eating super healthy taking vitamins etc..nothing brings back the energy.

• Posted

Hi Teribear,

The sinuses are such a mystery right?! Good to hear you had a break for a day, maybe the activity tired your immune system out.. Today is my first day without a headache, but my throat suddenly aches on the side of my blocked ear - one symptom after another..! You’ve had it all for a month? I’m coming on three weeks - they say sinuses are really slow in coming good.. Let’s just stay positive and try and do our best to heal ! Feels so overwhelming at times, depression and anxiety are always creeping up.. smile 

• Posted

Oh my goodness! Thank goodness for reading these forums as I seriously thought I was going crazy!

I developed a shocking head ache 5 weeks ago and chronic fatigue, that was it. 

About 3 weeks ago, the headaches were still ongoing across my forehead, behind my eyes and body aches. 

A slight runny nose began but my sinuses felt blocked and I had a slightly croaky voice. 

I had a few days where I literally couldn’t touch the top of my head and the ache was deep inside my head.

I went to the drs twice but was told to just rest and drink plenty of fluids. 

5 weeks on, headache has eased slightly but I’m left with light headed ness and feel unsteady on my feet as well as extremely tired. My ears are aching off and on even though the dr says there’s no infection. 

Has anyone else’s symptoms gone on this long?

I’m otherwise a very healthy 53 yr old female who has few health issues. 

Thank you all for sharing your stories. 🙋

• Posted

Just updating, my sinus finally eased up, ears still not completely normal, not equalising but no more crushing pressure headaches.. So grateful I am not in the chronic category, couldn’t imagine that long term.. I had lots of raw garlic, horseradish garlic pills, vit C, and Kaloba - a Blackmores liquid, it’s a South African herb that is antiviral and especially good for sinus and bronchitis.. Also hot flannels on face and steaming.. Now I have viral dysautonomia which has been as awful as the sinusitis and am hoping this will be over soon.. ! Good luck to all - how precious is good health? Will always appreciate it after this month! 

• Posted

Oh my goodness! Thank goodness for reading these forums as I seriously thought I was going crazy!

I developed a shocking head ache 5 weeks ago and chronic fatigue, that was it. 

About 3 weeks ago, the headaches were still ongoing across my forehead, behind my eyes and body aches. 

A slight runny nose began but my sinuses felt blocked and I had a slightly croaky voice. 

I had a few days where I literally couldn’t touch the top of my head and the ache was deep inside my head.

I went to the drs twice but was told to just rest and drink plenty of fluids. 

5 weeks on, headache has eased slightly but I’m left with light headed ness and feel unsteady on my feet as well as extremely tired. My ears are aching off and on even though the dr says there’s no infection. 

Has anyone else’s symptoms gone on this long?

I’m otherwise a very healthy 53 yr old female who has few health issues. 

Thank you all for sharing your stories. 🙋

• Posted

Hi. I'm going through an illness that sounds similar to people on this forum. It's now Winter in New Zealand where I live and I presume most of you experienced this in the Northern Winter? I've had it for 5/6 weeks now and still get dizzy, feel sick, have a very stuffy heavy heady feeling and can't get on with my life. I've scrolled through and noted some of the tips that people have written and  it's much appreciated. Did anyone recover eventually? ever find out what it is exactly? find any miracle cures? and I'm really worried about George who seemed to disappear off the forum after he developed a stiff neck...a very worrying symptom with all the other symptoms as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.