Head throbbing, difficulty focusing vision, random pains and feeling dizzy and faint

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All

I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (as well as CFS/ME, IBS and Anxiety), however I'm having some very severe symptoms that I don't usually experience, and I'm getting quite worried. Hoping some of you out there can tell me if these symptoms are indicative of Fibro.

I woke up feeling fine this morning however it didn't take me long to start going downhill. Today I have experienced a severe throbbing head, not a sharp headache, more like pressure being applied to my head. On top of that I am finding it hard to focus my vision, with the area around my line of sight being blurry or distorted, almost like I'm seeing double. Also, I feel very faint and lightheaded, and I feel like my eyes just want to close and head sag all the time (if that makes sense). I'm getting a lot of chest pain as well, the pains are sharp and random in when and where they occur. My lower abdomen from my chest down is frequently gurgling and churning and I my whole body feels very stiff and achy. I've never had symptoms this bad before and I feel absolutely awful, I feel like I could pass out.

I know that Fibromyalgia affects people in different ways, but I was hoping that some of you might be able to relate to these symptoms I'm having and help reassure me that what I'm going through right now is likely to be a Fibromyalgia flare up. To me it certainly feels like it! I have checked my vital signs and heart rate, oxygen levels, temperature and blood pressure all seem fine.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts and comments on this, in the meantime I know I just have to ride it out and look forward to when I start to feel better again.

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul,

I get trouble with my vision also but I get it checked out everytime especially with pain in the head? Perhaps you should then it will ease the anxiety?

The churning etc ..... I personally has alway put down to anxiety etc ... this condition is so awful and comes in many different problems.

Sorry couldnt help any further .... wishing you better x

• Posted

I've had most of these symptons. No chest pain and vision problems though. HAve fibromyalgia fog, hypersentivity, body ache with tense muscles and extreme fatigue. Had insomnia but improved now. Feel imbalanced and can't stand for long.

• Posted

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate them.

I'm still feeling really quite ill, although the symptoms have eased a bit in intensity. I had an eye test not long ago and everything checked out fine, although I do now need glasses for reading. I would go to the my doctor, but I have the distinct impression they have sort of given up with me. Whenever I've been checked out in the past everything has been fine, vitals and blood tests are always fine, it's almost feels like they are saying there is nothing more they can do for me, and I feel like I've been left to fend for myself.

I have been diagnosed with IBS, but currently under investigation for IBD (Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis). I recently had a colonoscopy with biopsies taken and everything checked out fine, which rules out UC, and from what I've heard probably rules out Crohn's disease as well. I'm now awaiting a small bowel MRI study in a couple of weeks, but I have a feeling that will come back fine as well. Also had an endoscopy a couple of years back and my stomach looked fine, so I have this feeling IBS will be a confirmed diagnosis. The reason for the investigation were 2 separate positive faecal calprotectin (inflammatory marker) results from stool samples tested recently, however these results can be positive for a number of reasons and do not necessarily mean the inflammation is to do with the digestive system. The sharp pains in my chest almost feel how I imagine indigestion or acid reflux pains feel like. I think I'm quite bloated as well.

The weird thing is that I seem to be worse when I lie on my back and side, if I lie on my front I feel a better, it's almost like pressure on my my back or side makes everything worse. Whether this is of any significance I don't know, all I do know is one of the worst bouts of whatever I've been through.

Thank you again for all your replies, I am grateful.

• Posted

Hi Paul. This last bout you had sounds more like a virus to me. I recently had a vertigo virus for over 3 weeks along with weakness and headache and feeling disorientated. I still feel out of sorts some days. All tests were normal at the clinic. These viruses are going around and I know friends who have had the same thing. There is not a lot you can do but get rest. The doc can prescribe meds for the dizzyness but I preferred to pass on that. Oftentimes we with FM and other related conditions, we tend to associate all symptoms with FM. But we do pick up stuff that is not related. Try to manage your anxiety and worry Paul. Stressing can cause our complaints to worsen. Your tests have come back very promising Paul. And we all have inflammation markers with FM. It’s all part of the condition. You have a great deal going for you otherwise in your overall health. So Try to Find the more positive aspects. Wishing you better days Paul. Maggie  
  • Posted

You may have a virus or a fibromyalgia flare up have you seen a Rheumatologist?  I would be going to the doctors just incase are you on any medication for your anxiety and fibromyalgia? hope you feel better soon ❤️
  • Posted

Your all a great bunch, thank you so much for your responses, I am very grateful. Still feeling pretty awful today with the same symptoms as yesterday, slept well though, must have had at least 8 hours of undisturbed sleep which is good for me, but also a sign I'm not well.

I never thought I could have picked up a virus, especially considering I'm pretty much housebound, and don't see many people at all, is it possible to get a virus with minimal contact with the outside world?

I remember having a virus about a year ago now and it gave me really bad rigors, but that was the only symptom I can remember. I've never had one like this before though, it's really messed me up. I would go to the doctors with this but the last time I had one he just told me that I needed bed rest, eat little amounts of food and keep up fluids, which is more than likely what he'll say this time, and what I plan on doing for the next couple of days. The worst part is definitely the disorientation feelings as well as a weird feeling I'm struggling to breathe, but I'm not (I can guess that doesn't actually make sense, it's quite hard to describe). Also my stomach and bowels don't feel great either, I'm getting some pain, discomfort and slight nausea, not unbearable though, and they are just churning and gurgling loads, although I've not been eating much so could be contributing to that. If it wasn't for those few elements I'd gladly ride it out calmly and relaxed. I also feel like my right eye lids have gone lumpy and a bit twitchy, even though my eye looks fine, very weird feeling.

I have seen a Rheumatologist during my investigations, she was the one who diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia after doing autoimmune disease blood tests and X-rays, which all came back fine, and looking over my previous investigation history. I haven't been given any medications to help with my Fibromyalgia, I presuming because whilst I'm currently under investigation for IBD, the doctor is reluctant to put me on medication just in case I have a confirmed IBD diagnosis, and needs to put me on medications for that.

Again, I really appreciate all your kind words and helpful comments. One thing I have learned is that conditions I suffer with, Fibromyalgia, CFS/ME and IBS can be very severe, serious and debilitating illnesses that can make people feel especially awful at times, and I think I need to realise that.

• Posted

I also have blurry vision nni have read that this us a symptom of fibro, also IBS n anxiety. The head thing could be sinusitis n it feels as if your head gonna explode when u stand up , a good test is if u touch ur toes for few seconds then stand up. Hope u feel better soon
    • Posted

Thank you for your comments Helen.

My head feels like it wants to explode all the time, and the pain is right above and around my eyes, mainly the left eye. I've actually just put on a pair of sunglasses and didn't realise how much I was squinting, as soon as I put them on I could feel the muscles linked to my eyes instantly relax, unfortunately it hasn't helped my headache though.

I've swear I've read somewhere that Fibromyalgia can be influenced by weather, and it's strange that up until yesterday when this bout of problems started for me it had been quite dull and dreary for some time, and my symptoms started kicking off as soon as we have some nicer, typical spring type weather. Don't know if this change in weather might have had an influence???

Also, just now I had a big IBS moment, sharp pains low down followed by the need to get to the toilet quick and then followed by bad diarrhoea, however I do feel slightly better since going to the toilet though.

I've got a feeling I'm having to deal with multiple flare ups that have decided to hit me all at once. It never rains but it pours, just looking forward to it all passing and feeling a bit more human again.

Thank you again for your comments, I do appreciate them. Now I'm just convalescing on the sofa, keeping warm and keeping my fluids up, it'll pass soon enough I'm sure!

• Posted

Just a quick update for you all.

As quickly the problems came on yesterday, so just as quickly they have decided to ease off, I'm not feeling 100% but I am feeling so much better than I did earlier. The headache is really mild now, no visual disturbances or dizziness, no abdominal churning or gurgling, no nausea, I feel like a different person. To me this seems very strange indeed, I was expecting to be suffering for much longer, not that I'm complaining of course, it just seems very weird. Can Fibromyalgia flare ups clear up so quickly and last only a couple of days?

I have just read a report that there seems to be strong link between IBS flare ups and headaches and migraines, and I know I've read other people experience of IBS flare ups where during severe flare ups they have experienced dizziness, feeling faint and visual disturbances. Starting to wonder if all I was experiencing was a severe IBS flare up???

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know as I thought it a very interesting development myself.

• Posted

Sounds very much like the virus I had recently Paul. It leaves you feeling a bit fragile for awhile. Glad you are feeling better. Maggie
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply Magpie

Got to say I do feel a bit fragile this morning, but nowhere near as bad as I did thankfully.

I'm wondering now if I might have caught something at my parents. I popped over there a week and a bit ago and they were babysitting my nephews, however one of my nephews had chicken pox, and the other had a cold. I hadn't been feeling great from last Sunday night, but then Thursday it went to a different level. Could've been that, but then again could be anything really, at least the worst of it seems to be over now thankfully.

• Posted

Hi, first off I’m so sorry to hear all this.  I have been suffering similar symptoms.  have you been bit or scratched by an animal in the last year or two or come into contact with animal sylvia through an open cut or sore?  
  • Posted

Hi, first off I’m so sorry to hear all this.  I have been suffering similar symptoms.  have you been bit or scratched by an animal in the last year or two or come into contact with animal sylvia through an open cut or sore?  
    • Posted

Hi Mom

Sorry to know you are having similar symptoms.

I can't say that I have been bit or scratched, however our cat likes to play rough sometimes which has produced blood, and then she will lick when she is being affectionate. She is a house cat though, we won't ever let her go any further than the garden as we live close to a main road.

Do you think this has anything to do with our symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.