Head tremors

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have head tremors for  over 30 years. Wasn't bad at first but I am 78 and they are getting worse. One Dr. Said it was caused by taking anxiety meds. I have had a stressful life plus I have Neuropathy and Leukemia. There is nothing you can do for it unless surgery on your brain. Not going there. Just live with it.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My mum has this if you ask to see a neurologist they are likely to diagnose you with a neurological condition called essential tremor.

There are many tablets you can take to reduce the tremors including topiramate

Hope this helps, good luck

• Posted

I will ask my Neurologist about Topiramate. I take Klonipin and lexapro for my Neuropathy plus I take an IVIG infusion every 4weeks. It is blood plasma. I don't have pain with my Neuropathy just numbness in my feet. Don't know if the infusions are helping but I am not getting any worse. I also have balance problem but I go to health club twice a week to work on that. I am in a Senior dance class also. Then I do health strengthing exercises with weights to work on my muscles. I am 78
    • Posted

Hi cuddles

I take propanol for my tremors and clonazepam for dystonia plus sertraline, I am 58 my mum is 89 she goes swimming and does Pilates which helps her. I am unsteady and have had a few falls my voice is affected too. The tremor affects my whole body inc my lower jaw and tongue but not so much my head. I've reduced my working hours to three days a week and I walk out everyday. I'm going to give swimming another try but I cramp quickly and have rapid muscle fatigue. Good luck with you x

• Posted

Sounds like you've got a good positive mental attitude good for you, the mind is strong and a great help for those who are positive about some of the very negative things we have to deal with particularly health. I have a cronic illness though nothing compared to what you are dealing with, most of the time I give it a mental kick up the pants but then there are days when you feel so fatigued it's not easy, as you say you have to live with it. Never heard of anxiety meds causing tremors but I'm no doctor. I have heard of essential tremor though as suggested by the other blogger, might be worth mentioning to your doctor.
  • Posted

Hi Cuddles 1936. You will not necessarily be diagnosed with essential tremor but it is a possibility. I have cervical dystonia and although there are many side effects, I have had blessed relief from taking trihexiphenidyl. I only take 1 to 2 mg a day. My head does not tremor anymore apart from when I have to be very still..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.