Headache after going to the toilet

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm new on here but need help as no one can get to the bottom if this.

2 years ago after going to the toilet (wee not poo) i find i feel faint, my heart races and i get headaches

There is no set pattern it can be evertime i go to the loo,sometimes one a day or once a week,

Dr thought it could be loss of blood but it doesnt happen when my monthly period is on but tried iron tablets but no change

We are puzzled havent a clue what it is but its worrying and why all of a sudden after 47 years.

I was ill last year and ended up in icu and was told i had artial fibulations but its nothing to do with that or so both my fr and i think.

Can anyone share any light on this has it happened or happening to you?

Thank you for reading

Christine

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Drop in blood pressure as you stand up? Does it happen if you get up out of a bath, as I think light headedness then is due to a change in B.P and fairly common ? 

• Posted

Hi  at first i thought it was my B/P but that's been checked and all ok and only happens when i have finished on the toilet.  

• Posted

Has your dr checked all your hormone levels? 

I'd ask for thyroid to be checked and also oestrogen/progesterone levels. 

I really cant can't think of any other explanation if you don't get the same symptoms in any other situation. 

• Posted

I have been told that i am at that age for the menopause but it's not every time - which is annoying - and bloods came back all ok - just so strange.  But what i may do is see if i can take a sample of when it happens and take it in to the dr to be tested see if that picks up anytyhing - seeing the dr in 2 1/2 week's time, if not we are puzzled but not nice sad 

• Posted

My son has had this happen to him.  There are also many other people as he has found while doing research online.  The headaches seemed to be tied with using the toilet, but are not really connected to straining.  There is a name for the type of headache they are which I am sorry I cannot recall at the moment.  When I speak to him again, I will get the name so you can search on your own.  
    • Posted

Hi Karen, oh that is interesting and i will look forward to hearing what it is called - thank you 
  • Posted

It is called a thunderclap headache because they come on suddenly and peak within a short amount of time.  Don't freak out when you look it up because a lot of the info is about this type of headache that is warning of an aneurism or the like.  By percentages, however, the greatest majority of this type of headache are considered benign.  Anyway, type in thunderclap headache, -symptoms, -definition, etc and go from there.  One study that is ongoing I think can be found at: thejournalofheadacheandpain   But there is lots more information.  I hope this helps you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.