Headache and dizziness?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

First I want to thank everyone for listening and answering to my past questions.  

I'm not on any meds for my MAV, first because the ENt wanted me to take topamax and it scared me to death to try it, when I saw him 2 weeks ago he said he wasn't going to give me any meds cause I seem to be doing better.  I started with this headache on saturday night and stillhave it today, its like a tension type headache with pain in the shoulders and neck, but the pain is mostly in the front accross the forhead going to each side, but with it comes thefeeling of moving when I'm sitting or standing.  Is this indicitve of MAV?  I feel like a buoy in the water and sometimes a sinking feeling, yesterday it was a falling feeling.  I'm now wondering if I should try some meds.  I also told the ENT I was seeing a psychologist this week and maybe he thought because of my anxiety about all this she might want to start meds.  She works with a psychiatrist I believe so could probably get meds.  she was also I physicians assistant for 20 years at a neuorlogist office, so I'm hoping she will understand all this.  

So my question is, do you have headaches with neck pain and shoulder pain on both sides?  Is this part of MAV?  Does the dizziness sensations feel different or changing?  Do everyone here take meds for this?  Is there any meds that help with dizziness, headache and anxiety at the same time?  Do you have headahce and dizziness for days at time?  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have the headache thing across the front too (My old headaches were,one sided, so i know this is different), and on researching a bit i have found this could be due to TMJ, ie,jaw tension. I dont have MAV.  I also have the neck and shoulder thing going on but I have worked out this is due,to,tension caused by compensation i do subconciuosly to keep balanced.  I counteract the neckaches with trigger therapy which really helps and takes the tension away from headache and I,just take a paracetomol,plus with some cool,head ointment that makes it cold.,and/or the cold,pack as mentioned before.yes i get that sinking feeling too,,like a lift/elevator,going down.I Think  that according to,the time of day, how tired i am etc makes a difference to,how,the dizinness feels.

when,you see the psychologist see what she says and if she feels you need meds,for the anxiety, which are usually anti depressants,,which i now take and although my dizzinness is the same, my anxiety is  much less.

• Posted

Thanks for replying.  I've made an appt with the ENT for today and am going to talk to him about meds.  I just can't keeping feeling like this.  IF the dizziness changes I just know how you are suppose to know if its from the MAV or something else.  

Ive been seeing a chiropractor and am wondering if this is making things worse, regarding the neck muscles.  Massage is hard for me because I can't lay face down for long with out feeling dizzy.  Personally I think its my anxiety and worry thats making everythign worse.  Just thinking about going to the ENT is making me anxious, because of the meds probably or maybe thinking its soemthing worse.

Thanks tho for talking with me. 

• Posted

ThenMAV diagnosis is debatable as there doesn't seem to be a specific test for it, just gathering your background history with migraines. You dont have to have the migraines as it,could be what they call silent, but after reading up on it a lot. Knew i I didnt fit into,that category.

​ Do think that you have to be careful,on chiropractics as it can make it worse if your chiro,isnt experienced with our condition, which he should know to ask if you are okay laying on your face first,before doing anything .  I think you would be better with the Cranial treatments instead. As you know the anxiety  will make it worse, so,you need to get a handle on that first. Let us know what happens at the ENT appointment, ok? X

• Posted

Hi Gillian

I went to the ENT yesterday and he gave me amitriptyline to try, we gave me the 10mg but I cut it in half because of the drowsiness it can cause and I have to work.  I took 1/2 the pill last night and was tired within about 15 mins and am alittle tired this morning.  I'm hoping not have any other effects from it other than it helping the anxiety, depression and the dizziness.  The Ent said he thought this would be better to try because my anxiety and depression are pretty high right now and hwe said he thinks once that slows down some the dizziness may lesson because I'm in a vicous cycle now, of dizzienss bring on worsening anxiety and depression.  The ENT like you said, I need to get a handle on the anxiety first in order to help the dizziness.

You mentioned cranial treatment yesterday, did youdo this and what is it?  

Thank you so much for listening and helping, I really appreciate it.

• Posted

cranial Sacral therapy is an offshoot in Osteopathy, muc h more gentle than Chiro and you lay on your back. It is very relaxing and would probably help your anxiety. YOu should be able,to,find one by googling for your area, a lot,of osteopaths do it too. I haven t had it for my dizziness as i cant afford private treatments, but have had it in the past amd it is very safe.

if,you find the Amiltrypline too hard to tolerate have a word with your GP about a ti depressants instead.

• Posted

Yes, basically, to all of your questions. I especially get the sore neck and shoulders when the dizzy attacks are happening. The muscles crunch in my neck when I move it. I was on a MAV support site for awhile, and this was a very common complaint.I take propranolol as a preventative, but think it's stopped working. My neuro also thinks tension in my jaw is contributing. It's a vicious cycle- what actually is the migraine, what triggers migraine, and what migraine triggers itself. Physical therapy for my jaw has helped, but I missed last week, and am having a bad week now. Stress is a huge trigger (work and commuting ), and I am convinced that menopause hormone issues are the BIGGEST trigger for me. Ive never felt this horrible before in my life. Not sure what to do about the hormone issue yet. Also, my thyroid labs are starting to go hypothyroid, and may get on those meds too. I'm also in a bad mood most of the time, irritable, body aches i am told is fibromyalgia. I used to be a vibrant, high energy person a mere 3-4yrs ago. Sheesh!
    • Posted

Yes thyroid issues can cause dizzinness so deffo see if you can get onto the meds for that asap, even a lw,dose will help.  evening Primrose oil caps is also good for it. You,will be irratble and moody if your,hormones are unblamced so try and get that sorted,then you can differentiate between the dizzy stuff.  

have you deffo been diagnosedwith fiibromyalga? 

• Posted

I was told in my early 20s that I had fibro. But I got better, and up until recently (I am 48), I've had only minor muscle issues. I did begin having tendinitis problems in my early 40s. My foot dr called me an orthopedic nightmare! I had hysterectomy at age 40, leaving one ovary. I am also told that a recent hip xray looks like I may have some osteoporosis. So I am convinced that my estrogen is to blame. I already take bio identical progesterone, and it is not helping, maybe even making me worse. My latest estradiol level was 85, the lowest it's ever been. I see the hormone dr in one month and will see about the thyroid and the estrogen. My tsh has always ben in the 1-2 range, and it's been creeping up. It's now at 5.something.
  • Posted

God bless you and find comfort with your disorder.
    • Posted

Ray

Thank you so much for saying that. I turned God daily for peace and strength.

May Gis bless you as well

• Posted

He already has with the kids i have!

I also have tinnitus, u have seen 3 ENTs and now a neurologist, he gave me a med that seems to be working to make the noise less perceptible, i think it is working, but i have started 3 days ago, i have notice a little difference, again, pray hard and God will help, blessings!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.