Headache and Jaw Pain 9 days after removal of Wisdom Teeth

Posted , 29 users are following.

I'm 35 and had 5 wisdom teeth out 8 days ago (yes I had an extra one) under a general anesthetic. I never had very much pain from the actual extraction areas, just what was to be expected. But ever since I have had a chronic headache and pain along my jaw, particularly one the right upper side close to my ear. I went back and explained this to the oral surgeon a couple of days ago, he looked inside my mouth and commented how good a job I have done keeping my mouth clean, that it seems to be healing well and said he doesn't think it's an infection based on a visual examination and the fact I don't have any other symptoms (fever etc). He mentioned that I shouldn't be in this much pain at this stage but that was it. He gave me a script for endone and Valium (as I have not managed to get more than 2 hours sleep each night - due to waking up in pain from the headache and jaw pain). Even the endone combined with paracetamol does not get rid of the headache or jaw pain. Now I have to wait another week to go back for another follow up. My personal belief is that he was heavy handed getting the teeth out and maybe put additional stress on my jaw, which is causing the jaw pain, and the headaches are a by product of this. of course he isn't going to admit to this. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Greetings, 

I'm glad I found this discussion as I feel like I'm losing my mind. I just had my wisdom teeth out only 5 days ago but it feels like yesterday. I am getting migraines upon migraines and my jaw feels like someone held it open for days. I'm tired of people asking me how I feel because all I feel like I'm doing is complaining and no one understands how it feels. 

Everyone keeps saying it's going to get better but I'd like to know when. I'm not sleeping because of the earache, headache, jaw aches and my other teeth even hurt. 

How has everyone else got through it? Any suggestions?

Does anyone else wish other people could feel what you do so that they would just understand? If if it's just for a few minutes. 

Michael,  how long did it take for you to feel better? 

• Posted

Hi Alicia,

I'm also having the same problem. I am on my 8th day of recovery (I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed) and I have a lot of facial pain. I have some pain in my jaw and occasionally my ear, but most of my pain is in my temple - a relentless throbbing pain. Sometimes pain medication helps, but it's still just so uncomfortable and distracting I have a hard time doing daily activities and working. I've been to my oral surgeon twice since the surgery and all he says is "everything looks great and is healing well" but he kinda seems to ignore my concerns about facial pain and sends me on my way. I'm starting to wonder if I have a fractured jaw too like Michael. Are you doing any better? Have you been back to your dentist to express your concern? 

• Posted

For anyone having all wisdom teeth removed at the same time, especially when they include multiple, impacted mandibulars, the risk of developing a dry socket is already 40% higher than your average patient. The facial pain along cheek bones, jaw lines, gum lines, other teeth, sinus area, etc. is not "normal" at any point following extractions. The worst of the pain is expected to be for the three day period immediately following extractions. Any throbbing facial pain beyond three days, especially at eight or nine days, is often associated with or due to having (a) dry socket(s). It hurts like nothing else and even prescribed narcotic pain medication does not help allieviate the pain. At this point you must call the dentist/oral surgeon who originally performed your extractions, as they are required to provide follow up care to their patients. If they can reasonably determine that a blood clot either did not form at all in any one of the sockets, or that a blood clot did form but was dislodged due to sucking (often from using a straw or smoking) or rinsing vigorously, they will place a medicated dressing inside of the socket that should provide somewhat of an instantaneous relief. However, if you're on a deserted island and reasonably unable to contact your oral health provider, oil of cloves is the main ingredient in Eugenol-the medication that's applied to the gauze dressing placed in sockets. Often providers will use an anti-microbial agent, an antiseptic such as Peridex, and Eugenol combined to ensure sanitary conditions of socket while offering pain relief. The dressing must be changed once every 24 hours, it should be packed loosely, leaving a large enough piece to grab ahold of hanging out of the socket, but not too large to where it's bothersome or it gets caught on anything inside of your mouth. 

Unfortunately, there are instances of various bone fractures happening during prolonged surgeries as well.  However, bone fractures aren't nearly as common as dry sockets. Due to the severity of pain experienced from the dry sockets, it's both normal and good to question if you do in fact have any bone fractures. This is why it's ultimately important to follow up with the provider who performed the extractions. They can accurately assess extraction site(S) for dry sockets and take x-rays to look for any fractures or breakage in bones. Many oral surgeons will perform a CT scan prior to extraction and at the follow up visit after extractions to ensure they removed all roots, etc.

I do hope this helps! Good luck!

• Posted

Sorry I just saw this message, I took about 3 weeks. As mentioned in earlier messages the Oral surgeon pretty much thought his work was done after the operation, and was very dismissive of me afterward. His response was more pain killers. I was on tramadol, Targin, endone, lorazepan, panadine, coding and ibuprofen at varying stages over the four week period.  Oral surgeon said nothing was wrong and tried to say it was muscular pain and that I must be in the 5% that takes longer  to heal. Yeh right. So went to my normal dentist who did X-rays and said he thinks it was a small fracture on my cheekbone. Which the oral surgeon denied. 
    • Posted

Actually reading back I had the headache and jaw paid for about 2 months not 3 weeks 
  • Posted

Hi michael60452

I had 4 wisdomteeth extracted under conscious sedation (midazolam) 6days ago. I saw the dentist again yesterday as I had ongoing constant jaw aching and pressure. I've been on Codeine and Ibuprfen since the op. I was told by the dentists I have "delayed healing". Pain relief so far has done little except take the edge off. However I tried clove oil today and got some relief! It's a natural anesthetic and has been used for centuries to treat tooth ache. Just be very careful to use only a very small amount as it is toxic in large doses. All sources recommend a "dab" which I then further diluted with water and applied to my gums with a cotton-tip. Be aware it doesn't taste the best either. But when it eases the discomfort, who cares!

Hope this helps anyone the reads it, and is struggling with pain after tooth extraction. 

• Posted

Dear patient3596 Thanks for your input... But my problem was not from jaw pain but from a HANGOVER like headache that lasted for 16 days.. Seriously like the worst hangover headache ever... That being said I had quit drinking 2years prior to surgery. But I have heard that if you have a toothache to put A CLOVE between the problem tooth and cheek.
    • Posted

Regardless of where and how you are experiencing pain, jaw or cheek throbbing, temple throbbing, ocular throbbing, once the CAUSE is treated via Eugenol or clove oil in the dry sockets, all pain will cease. If you use clove oil, it needs to be 0.02% strength solution and applied directly onto gauze before being packed into socket. Make sure it's enough, but not dripping as you don't want this to get anywhere else in yout mouth as it may burn and will not taste pleasant at all. This will work better than an IV loaded with morphine 🤤 because it's treating the source of the pain, not just the headache symptom.

Please share status and/or updates on current conditions.

• Posted

Hi All, Hi Michael,

Firstly, I hope everyone's pain/suffering is over? This pain is the worst!!

Just after abut of advice or even any help that can be given......it's been a week tomorrow  since I had my left side top and bottom wisdom teeth removed. I was sedated and dentist didn't say that there had been any complications etc when it was over, just given an extraction pack and that was it! As I expected once the numbness had wore off then the pain kicked in. Wasn't given and pain relief or antibiotics by the dentist. I take zapains 30/500mg for a back problem I have so just took these. To be honest first few days it helped for a while until they wore off! I just knew that the pain wasn't getting any worse so I decided to go back to the dentist. He took one look in my mouth, literally 5 seconds and said I'd got an infection. He's given me a 5 day course of antibiotics. I'm currently on day 3 of these and omg the pain is horrendous! I'm not eating, I'm not sleeping and now the pain is going into my jaw, cheek, ear and head! I've been off work for a week now and can't even think about going back as my job is quite hands on. Any advice or thoughts on if there could be something else wrong? 

Thanks in advance

Bec x

• Posted

That's weird they didn't give you antibiotics or pain killers straight after the surgery. 

They sent me home with painkillers and a course of anti biotics. 

The inside of my mouth healed without complication, no infection or dry socket etc. it was just the constant headaches, jaw and cheek pain that lasted around two months 😩

• Posted

No they didn't give me no painkillers or antibiotics. Just one extraction pack. The pain is horrendous, and now when I drink it's a pain that's even worse, it lasts a few minutes and then gets easier. 

I'm going to go back to the dentist tomorrow as I'm really not coping! Even after the antibiotics it's just doesn't seem to be getting any better?! 

Thanks for your reply 

Bec x

• Posted

Hi there,

I was just after some help please! Im 26 and had all 4 wisdom teeth removed under a general 2 weeks ago. Up until 2 days ago I thought the healing was going well, I had a course of antibiotics which lasted 5 days and stopped taking pain Med about 5 days ago but now I have serious swelling on my left cheek (on my lower gums) it's so uncomfortable, my cheek very hot to touch, I've got massive headaches and it's travelling all up the side of my face to my temple. Did you have any swelling with your jaw/cheek pain and headaches? I feel very under the weather and anxious that it may be a bad infection or abscess? Are these the symptoms of dry socket? It's the pain and intense swelling causing headaches and jaw pain which is literally driving me insane. No sleep for me tonight!

• Posted

Hey Beth, I had my wisdom teeth out 10 days ago and I have no swelling in my cheeks as of now. I have found if I have food particles stuck in the open holes from eating it seems to make the jaw pain worse. My surgeon gave me a plastic syringe that looks like a fish hook to keep food out of the holes, that seems to help. I do have bad migraines every day and can’t sleep from 2am on from the radiating pain in my temples.  I just take 800 mg of ibuprofen and after a half hour the pain is annoying but tolerable. Sounds like you could have an infection or dry socket if you have swelling after two weeks.  I would get it checked out if you have swelling and pain if it’s hot to the touch usually means infection.
  • Posted

I had my wisdom teeth removed 6 days ago. They weren't in the bone and I've had them many years. The left side was rotten and the right side they took because they said it would eventually need to be removed. Days 1-4 I had migraines constantly and a lot of cheek pain on the right side. The migraines subsided and now since last night my left check is killing me and if anything cold touches the opening in my gum it radiates more pain in my cheek like it's hurting a nerve. Anyone know what in the world that could be? I have 36 hours until I can call my dentist.

• Posted

HELLO,Im michael as well i had 4 wisdom teeth removed two top and two bottom the bottom right tokken out and the bottom right was impacted for the first three days the impacted to was hurting soo bad i went to er the pain went down NOW my left side bottom left is just killing me and its day number 5 i just went to the dentist and he said i was ok but the pain is still therer i took 4 600 mlg ibprofen n 4 500 mlg of actephiieion pain meds and the pain still there i asked did ibhave dry socket he said kno now its 3 clock ina and i CANT SLEEP im scared im TIRED and tired of being in pain i need help NONE OF THE DENTIST WANT HELP ME LIKE IM LYING OR SUNTHIM PLEASE HELP ALL I EAT IS APPLESAUCE N RAMEN NOODLES 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.