Headache - Fearing for the worst

Posted , 5 users are following.

I feel that my life is slipping out of my hand.

It all started 2 years back, i woke up with a stiff neck, had lightheadedness. After 2 weeks of this this developed Tinnitus.. Went to every possible Doctor.. Spent a lot of money.. Feared MS or Tumour.. Reluctantly but finally got Brain MRI done in April 14. All negative..

The lightheadedness never went away.. It comes and goes.. The ringing never went away.. It is still present but i have learnt to live with it...

I know for a fact that i have anxiety problem beacuse I can manage to think of the worst with a very simple problem. Cancer/ Tumour is always on my mind..

Now for the last 3 months.. I have headache usually on one side of the head.. Sometimes it a just a shooting pain.. sometimes its a dull headache .. Sometimes its a proper headache.. Sometimes its just a sensation on one point of the head. Something is always there.  I now seriously fear Brain Tumour and it is affecting my job and life.. This is the only thing i am thinking these days.. The worst thing i did was google it.. and that really convinced me that i have Brain Tumour.. 

I still have a slightly stiff neck and i noticed that if turn my head on the right.. there is a shooting pain for a sec on one point of head. 

My qs is simple.. with all the people on the group..  Are the above symptoms of Brain Tumour.

P.S: I have high BP for which i take medicine, have High Cholestrol for which i excercise.. Have a ever present sinus problem since childhood, Have had a sinus surgery done as well.. and Yes.. I am male and 34 and dont have any other neurological deficits 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, be reassured that the MRI hasn't shown up anything sinister. I too have a history of 'sinusitus' from childhood but an endoscopy many years later revealed no evidence of it. I was told I probably had migraine. Now I have been diagnosed with SUNCT, another type of headache. There are many flavours of headache! It sounds like you need a proper diagnosis because there is nothing to see on a normal brain MRI (I've had 3). All the best and remember to be kind to yourself!
  • Posted

I have the same symptoms as you--/ the stiff neck which will develop into the worst headache I've ever known, the dizziness, this usually progresses into vomiting too. And it's all caused by my spine, which isn't properly supported by the muscles. It rotates slightly, gets stuck and the muscles clamp into place. Squeezing the nerves causes the pain and squeezing the blood vessels causes the dizziness and vomiting as my blood pressure rises. 

Of course I didn't know any of this when it first happened. Only knew I had a new type of headache ( had migraines for almost 40 years-- this was not a migraine) Taken to hospital, seen by at least 7 doctors, none of whom spotted anything, other than I wasn't having a stroke or brain haemorrhage. 

I went ent to a chiropractor who identified the problem in less than a minute. Without me describing the track of the headache she drew exactly on a diagram where I felt the pain. I see her once a month to stop my neck locking. 

But ladt weekend I took my grandchildren swimming and I spent 2 X 15 minutes in the sauna at the pool. Pain gone totally. No pain or stiffness on turning my head.

might be worth you seeing a chiropractor and also try a gently swim and sauna. If the pain goes it's a muscular / skeletal problem. 

• Posted

Hi, I've had this or something very similar for nearly a year. I'm pretty sure it's because the sphenoid sinus cavity is blocked. Look up the symptoms to sphenoid sinusitis, they very similar without the fever.

Which sinus cavity did you have surgery on? Does exercise increase your symptoms? Does bending over increase symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.