Headache for 2 weeks. Left side, floaters, pain medication not working.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Two weeks ago I suddenly got a headache over my lunch break. It was quite severe and wouldn't go, even after I drank my weight in water and took a variety of pain relievers (paracetamol, ibuprofen, coedine etc). I went to sleep hoping it would clear over night - to no avail.

Over the last few weeks it has died down to a very muted, slight ache but after the pain relief wears off or I have an alcoholic drink it gets awful again. I have cut out all caffeine, made sure I get enough sleep, started drinking more water, cut out all sweeteners. I have tried not having pain relief.

I saw a doctor on Saturday who checked my blood pressure, heart rate, looked into my eyes and so on and he said it sounded like a migraine and put me on Sumitriptan which hasn't worked at all.

I have also had my eyes tested and she said everything looks fine, and even tested my peripheral vision after I mentioned headaches. I don't wear or need glasses.

My life is not at all stressful, I enjoy my job, have great friends, partner family and so on.

So what is it? Please help!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucy, a couple of things worth mentioning are that it's possible to over hydrate, one of the symptoms of which is headaches, ironic, huh(?!). If I stop drinking lots of tea, or don't have any for even a day, I get horrific headaches. I also, finally worked out that I'm allergic to my cats, if I don't use my prescribed steroid nasal spray, I revert to having continuous headaches. Some people get them from food allergies, too. It can simply be a case of working out what's going on. Hopefully, they'll simply stop, never to recur.

• Posted

I would have a similar reaction to the smallest amount of alcohol. 

And also chocolate, coffee, curry spices, pineapple, ginger .... 

Worth th eating a bland diet and drinking only water for a week to see if that helps. 

• Posted

I had the same thing happen to me this Sunday (7/3/2016) I was working out and had a sharp pain go from my left temple to the right. WOREST PAIN EVER, i thought mabe i was pushing myself to hard, so i wen thome to relax, got no relief, still had stabbing pain in my left temple, when i could no longer take it anymore I went to the ER had a CT Scan and they found nothing wrong, thye asked me about my sinus, i told them i have Sintuis that i had just got over it a month or so ago. SO they put me back on a Cpak, gave me sinus meds, and told me to come back if the pain gets worse.  With the process of finding out what is wrong with me has been a process, between changing pillows, no sweeteners, and working out slowly, it is very trying, fearful, and depressing. But I am very greatful for this site to express what we all are going through.
  • Posted

I should add that, if anyone ever gets a HORRIFICALLY bad, sudden pain in the head, one that goes from not there to horrific in just a few minutes, or even the horrific pain simply snaps on, like a light going on, go to A&E (or the ER, in north America). I had this, in 2012, it was what's called a 'thunderclap headache', I was terrified, I went to A&E. The next thing I remember, it was six and a half weeks later. I'd had a subarachnoid haemhorrage, from an aneurysm I hadn't known about. The statistics of surviving, without serious disability, was one to four, or 50% chance of death, 25% chance of severe disablement. I nearly didn't go to A&E, my daughter insisted, thankfully. I have MS, diagnosed in 2004, and I've been bloody lucky, re the sub arach. Unfortunately, lightning does sometimes strike twice. I'm not kidding about the fact that the pain was incredibly bad, and it's a very unusual start to a sub arach. too.

• Posted

Try a cervical pillow and see if it helps. I use a Tricore standard firm and it elimininated my headaches and weird symptoms overtime. A neuro recommended it after I had been to countless doctors and had many many tests done. Get well soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.