Headache for 4 weeks, intense ear pressure

Posted , 10 users are following.

Please help sad I need to know I'm not alone. It all started 4 weeks ago, with a dull headache over my left eye to the base of skull. I was pretty sure it was tension. It didn't go away, and about 2 weeks ago I started getting head and ear pressure off and on all day everyday. I went to urgent care and the NP said it was "probably" a sinus infection. Took the meds, and they didn't help. I went to the ER and they did CT of head and sinuses. Said all was normal. Prescribed me zyrtek... I have tried a Neio pot, tylenol, alieve and the pain relievers work for an hour or so. When I went to Urgent care she said I have TMJ. I am also a super tense and anxious person (health anxiety). But from my temples to neck, i get this crazy pressure. I'm so misserable, and I want it to GO away. My next stop is ENT. Anyone experience this?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Keep reading as much as you can on these threads for migraines and Eustation tube disorder. I have learned more than any of the ENT or dentist I've been to.

• Posted

Thanks for your response! Have you heard or read anything like this? I'm such a hypochondriac, I always think the absolute worst.

• Posted

Can you hear your voice when you talk? Or do you hear your breathing, heart beat? Those are all symptoms of Patulous Eustachian Tube Disorder.
    • Posted

No, but if I exhale and then just open my mouth both ears click. I'm just miserable...

• Posted

Ok that might be your Eustachian Tube in the closed position all the time. There are 2 types of disorders with the Eustachian tube, the always open position is called Patulous ET, I don't recall what the other closed type is called but you can Google it. Ask your doctor about that. The closed position is fixable with a balloon surgery.

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

Could you tell us when your symptoms/pains are better and worse? Any particular triggers that you have noticed? Is it better or worse in the mornings, during the day or evenings? Also, does eating or drinking fluids help or make it worse? Do you have any other allergy symptoms or what makes you take Zyrtec? Have you ever had an allergy test? A little more info would help us help you with the diagnosis.

• Posted

I feel fine in the mornings, and I sleep fine. They seem to be worse when I'm sitting down for long periods of time. I work at a call center and sit on the phone (headset) in front of a computer. My mom thinks it could be my eyes. It is more in the afternoon and late afternoon. I still get pressure throughout the day but not as bad in morning and night. I've never had an allergy test, but I tend to get headaches in the later months of the year. Never with pressure like this before though. I am taking zyrtec because that's what the ER prescribed. I clench my jaw a lot and I have slight TMJ, but I don't think that's what it is sad

• Posted

TMJ can definitely cause eustachian tube problems, in fact it's one of the most common causes after the common cold. Your work (sitting a lot) probably doesn't help with your circulation and starring at a computer screen for hours can definitely be the a strain on your eyes and neck muscles/nerves. What helped me a lot was when i started exercising 3 times a week with at least 10-15 minutes of cardio to start with. I spend a lot of time in my office too and all the sitting can definiltey take a toll on your body. Try to take a break every hour, stretch and walk around a bit. Also, once every 15-20 minutes, move your eyes around the room and allow it to re-focus at different objects in the room. If you had an infection or allergies, the sinus rinse will help a lot and I definitely recommend it. I used to do the Nasal flush bottle 3-4 times a week in the beginning, now I only use it about 3-4 times a month. It can do wonders on your sinuses, just be sure to always follow the instructions.

I also strongly recommend an allergy test and try to do the one where they prick your skin - not the one where they take a sample of your blood. It's more accurate and will give you more useful results. The only catch is that you can't take any antihistamines (like Zyrtec) for about a week before the test. 

Try to stay active and look into your TMJ too. If you grind your teeth at night, you could get retainers. You could also visit a prosthodontist, which is basically a dentist who specializes in bite-adjustment and other dental alighment work. Hope this helps. Keep us updated and wish you the best

• Posted

Thank you for your informative response! I will definitely look into it. I am glad to know I'm not the only one with these symptoms. My biggest fear is that it's something unfixable or terminal. I have a lot of issues 😟... Who doesn't though.

• Posted

Hey Hannah,

Sorry you're going through this ..I've had ETD the past year and a half. I was never an anxious person but I totally understand because it has made me super anxious. The sinus pressure is no fun ....the best advice I've gotten from my ENT is to do the neilmed sinus rinse daily. That definitely relieves a lot of the facial pressure that I used to have, maybe give it a try if you aren't already irrigating your sinuses. I have the same ear clicking that you do and it can be very frustrating. Luckily several ENTs I've been to said that most cases of ETD clear up somewhat quickly and don't last long term so hopefully soon you'll be feeling better!

Laura

• Posted

Thank you! I really appreciate all these responses. Its the pressure that gets me. I don't understand why it comes and goes, and I can feel "normal", and then my temples and ears feel like they will explode or like I'm going into another elevatation. I'm trying not to worry and make it worse.

• Posted

Try not to worry so much! When it first happened to me I had all these crazy scenarios of what could possibly be wrong with me. My ENT kind of laughed and was just like no you just have ETD haha. Still did tests and such to make sure there was nothing else and they came back normal. Schedule an appointment with one, it'll make you feel better. In the meantime give the sinus rinse a try it's definitely a life saver for me!

• Posted

Thanks smile I am planning on making an appointment next week with my GP and getting a referral for an ENT. Do you have to have a referral? I've done the neti pot, but I might need to do it more. I've only done it twice.

• Posted

Some insurances you do need a referral but not all. I would call and get one just in case because you don't want to risk it. Yes definitely try to do it more often, at least once a day. Right now I have a cold so I'm having a pretty bad flare up so I'm doing it 2-3 times a day (possibly a little excessive but it helps haha). Keep us updated and try not to let it get you down!

• Posted

Will do! I will call and see if I need one with my insurance. I'm glad I already have the CT scan out of my way.. Just a little nervous at what else it could be. I suffer with major health anxiety and it makes me depressed sometimes. I will call though, I want to feel "normal" again. I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Thanks!! I hope the same for you! This definitely has made me anxious so I understand how you're feeling ..it's awful. Luckily the CT scan turned out okay that's a good sign (:

• Posted

Thats what i have to keep telling myself. I know headaches cause a lot of people pain, and it's one of the biggest complaints. I usually just wait and things resolve by themselves, but it hasn't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.