Headache for a week now, what to do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, hope you are all well. Will try to keep this short and sweet. I am a 21 year old healthy male; I suffer from grade 1 reflux oesophagitis which, is being treated by the gastrologist. 

I have been suffering from headaches for the past few years, but only in the last few months the headaches have gotten really worse. I have always been assuming my headaches are linked with the reflux but clearly not. 

I was admitted into hospital last Friday (6th Feb) with severe headache (which is still on) and a pulse of 150. My wisdom tooth was taken out on the 2nd of Feb, which led the doctors to believe I had an infection and thus blame the headache on the "infection". I was in hospital for 2 nights with my pulse still hitting over 100 and a high BP. I was discharged on Sunday (8th Feb) to go to my GP. 

Went to my GP the next day, and was sent for a CT scan, bloods and ECG the next day. Went to my GP yesterday (13th) and my CT scan is all clear, so are bloods but my heart is out of rhythm. I am currently taking Zomig 5mg Nasal Spray and Propranolol 40mg tablets which was given too me yesterday as well as my gastro medicine and Codeine. 

I am at a point where I have not been to work for 2 weeks, uncomfortable and scared too drive, headaches are getting really painful, dizziness is always constant and just not being able to live life as I used too. The pain, shifts from left to right and right to left and most of them time all over my head. I get the feeling as if someone is squeezing my head. I am constantly having the feel of being sick but never do and always feeling tired.

Can you guys please give me some help and advice on what I can do? Sorry if I ranted too much if you need to ask me any more questions please let me know.

Thank you

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Has 456 ,lots on this site having same problems  and sadest part. We haven't an answer for it ,think your taking and doing the right things .Make sure your drs stay well on top of everything,Have you had an eye test? 

Dental treatment can be an onset for Dizzyness  have you had ear problems since dental work ? your jaw maybe misaligned if you have ear ringing / hissing ,go and see your dentists .

Meds Benzos can give you problems check leaflet to any meds ,that can be a side affect ,they don't agree with everyone .

• Posted

Marlene, many thanks for your reply. Yes, I have had a eye test and all fine no I have had no ear issue etc. What can I ask the doctor to do?

In regards to the medication and side effects yes you are correct, however the problems I have been facing have been prior to the medication. 

• Posted

Next I'd ask for is an MRI ,once that's all clear. I think it can be just a case of wait and see ,what have they done in regards to your BP ,get that checked regular ,you can walk into a chemist and ask them to do it  but keep note to the numbers ,a chemist will tell you if you need to see your Dr.Im on BP meds ,but your high BP can be just stress at Whats been happening to you of late .Have you close family around ,what's there take to what's been going

on with you.Hope all works out ,your to young for all this .If you get MRI and clear ,then I say it's stress related at a guess as you've not been well prior .

• Posted

Marlene hi, I was thinking a MRI will ask my doctor when I see him next. In regards to my BP my GP has noted its high but not high to worry about I think. It was high in the hospital, the nurses where quiet concerened, but as usual the doctors were not. I will keep you posted as to whats happening. 
  • Posted

Hope you're feeling better.   If you have an irregular heart rhythm have they told you what's wrong.  My husband has the same and has been told he has Atrial Fibrillation, AF, (irregular heart rhythm) and he is also on beta blockers and aspirin. Have you got nasal congestion because there are a lot of colds around and this is my latest problem with sinusitis following a heavy cold that has lasted 6 weeks since just after christmas.  We've all mostly had it at work too and we just keep re-infecting one another and it doesn't help that we have an air con unit that blows out hot and cold air and keeps recirculating all the germs.   The congestion could be causing your headaches.  I am taking sudafed and nasal spray now and was put on some antibiotics for the sinusitis.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Anne hi, well my pulse increases when my headache gets worse. I have been given medication to calm my pulse so will see. In regards, to my nasal etc no, im perfectly well with no congestion what so ever. 
    • Posted

the beta blocker you're on should help slow everything down.  I was on bisoloprol for 6 months when i had an elevated BP and racing pulse.  It sorted it out for me but at the time i was quite stressed without realising it with work related issues.  I could actually feel the difference internally as my pulse and heart slowed down rather than the energy my heart was using by being overworked.  My BP at the time was 186/100 and my pulse was racing at 100 plus and that was resting.  At the time my nursing colleague said i should have been on a cardiac unit, but it all resolved with the beta blocker after 6 months.  Like having my thermostat reset as it had gone off the scale.  I now have a healthy pulse and heart rate.  If you have been under a long period of stress this may be the cause, even though i didn't realise it at the time, so now i try to do things

more slowly.

• Posted

Anne many thanks for the reply, the beta blockers make me so sleepy instantly when I take them! Happy your pulse and BP has gone down, funny enough I am not stressed, as stupid as this may seem but I actually feel pretty normal and happy. I will try to do more things slowly but at the moment I have been off work for 2 weeks and taking this week off to get complete rest and hopefully go back into work next week. My friend, who is a nurse is checking my pulse regulary and its still hitting over 100 when im laying down in bed. 

I am now having pains on my arm joints sometimes right, sometimes left and sometime even both, I am getting sharp chest pains and sharp pains around my heart occasionly. something to worry about? 

• Posted

thing is i didn't think i was stressed either.  When the GP asked me are you stressed i said 'no' then he did my BP/pulse and said 'you are look at this' and i couldn't argue with it. I didn't feel stressed.   I was also getting  squeezing sensation and sharp pain in my heart which is what made me go the gp in the first place.

They did an ECG but even ECG doesn't always show up a problem but i was definitely doing something wrong & my body was giving me a wake up call because  otherwise i would have just continued pushing myself, not taking enough rest and not realising i was putting myself under stress.

Also try to avoid too much caffeine.  If you are taking a rest that's good at least until your body adjusts to the propanolol but let your gp know you are feeling tired too cos he may need to adjust the dosage.

• Posted

That is true I suppose, but I blame my BP and pulse levels due to panicing about my head. My GP did say he will check my stress hormones so not sure on that. 

My ECG did show faults but nothing major, well nothing for the GP to worry about. I never drink caffeine, hopefully the rest will do me good. The main side effects for the beta blockers is tiredness. The GP and pharmacist both warned me when taking them, hence why I am not really comfortable driving to and from work at the moment. 

• Posted

I think stress wether we realise it or not has a huge affect on us .think that's why so many are on BP tablets ,it keeps it elevated ,my tinnitus is screaming ,both ears ,so my level of stress is high today.Has anyone had there thyroid checked out ,that can give off a lot of symptoms that you'd not connected it to .I was surprised myself .Adrenal glands another can give various symptoms if not working as they should .,hormones another .Having this balance not right sure not helping any .so if any of these are not right  it's got to give out stress related BP numbers ,why so many are on more than one BP med .Got to wonder I know I do .Outside this thinking ,I'm stuck .
    • Posted

Hi Marlene  Just been to the chemist to get more decongestants.  Think the pharmacist is getting quite used to me now.  My husbands just coming down with it, again, today.  Think we'll have to move into separate accomodation so we don't keep passing it back and forth to each othersmile
    • Posted

I'm really sorry your not good Anne ,it takes so long for anything to go ,you end up spending a fortune in a chemist these days ,my local one always topped up with people .We try this and that  how it is  just trying to sort all this out and get well  .

How did you cope getting there with the balance .? I find having the anxiety. It's hard to stand and wait for anything in a shop these days .Think we all know how that feels most days .

Your husband coming down again ,just what you need ,see how it just keeps going around ,I'd make him sleep in another room .Poor chap .

My cousin  on her second round with it this winter to  say she feels really poorly  got a mate exact same thing this winter .another cousin pop in last week  just had 3 weeks bad gastro antiritis ? so that's about here .Never ends.

Looks like I'm going to need hairdryer on see if it will drop my tinnitus down  ,not dropping on its own ,had a few sprays of Bach Rescue  only thing I use on high tinnitus days .what a day it is.You still plan going back to work ? This week .Least I can be miserable sat in a chair .Glad no job for me thank goodness .Stay water drinking Anne try diluting that mucus ,don't get chance to build up  Im on my 4th 50 mil bottle .one more will be it time it's bedtime .😞

• Posted

Marlene sorry to hear your tinnitus is on 'high' volume..  Mine has been worse with this congestion but having had it for over 18 years since a head injury in my left ear, like a swarm of bees buzzing,  i tend to block it out at night by having a fan on all night.  My husband says the wind blowing out from the fan has given his haemmorhoids but he is only joking.  The fan is going all night whether it summer or winter. 

I asked the pharmacist why the doctor prescribed doxycycline antibiotic as a first treatment as it has such severe side effects, he asked if i was allergic to penicillin and i'm not so i would have preferred amoxicillan as it is more gentle, but there you go that's what i was given.  I was going to stop taking them after my tongue started stinging but then i thought i'd best take the course and am feeling a lot better today.  My problem with driving is whenever i turn my neck to reverse i find my eyes go wonky, otherwise my dizziness is mild just lately but i never like to speak too soon as it all depends on any particular day.

• Posted

Yes Anne my Tinnitus 18 yrs total ,but Benzo's took it up higher ,never gone back to a soft hiss daily ,those meds Bain of my life from the start .I sleep in silence ,a fan would bug me no end ,but I do have TV on as a distraction during the day  even hair dryer not worked .laughed at your husbands comment ,glad he's not got it. Mines had T for 30 yrs ,but don't bother him ,but at least he hears what I do. So that's a great help .

Finish off antibiotic Anne ,still not working ,try something else ,your stuck at a drs mercy it appears .ive only had 2 antibiotics in 9 years from a severe strep throat  last one was Cefaclor .2013 .

• Posted

'BENZODIAZEPINES are the most widely prescribed psychotropic drugs.(1-3) A mild abstinence syndrome may appear after discontinuation of long-term therapeutic doses of benzodiazepine4 and is characterized, among other symptoms, by poor appetite, gastrointestinal disturbances, insomnia, and tremor. Anxiety and tension are also reported by some patients.(4-6) Sensory disturbances, such as paresthesia, hypersensitivity to touch, photophobia, blurred vision, and hyperacusis, have also been observed during withdrawal.(4-7) Tinnitus has been occasionally reported after withdrawal from benzodiazepines. However, as with most withdrawal symptoms, it usually resolves within a few days after drug discontinuation'

Note the word 'usually'.

• Posted

Interesting read up Anne,swear those set off thing in motion for me ,never suffered anxiety till those meds  they were the kicker ,only went for rhinitis ,should have left well alone .the anxiety stayed around me since .plus T increase ,now balance ,yes the fuzzy eyes ,but thought it was due to allergies .Take them at ones peril well for me ,some take them and there just fine ,they get benifits as Darren long term .Im allergic to morphine ,aspirin ,codine  cocodamol ,now can't have Sudafed due to BP med ,but say that's good for allergies ,have you tried them Anne for congestion .Often wonder what Dr say to there own family to take when unwell .Got to wonder .

• Posted

yes got some Sudafed from the chemist today and they've really helped, but there are 2 different types of sudafed, one which helps and the other doesn't as they have 2 differnt chemical compounds, so had to get the right one. The pharmacist did ask if i was on BP medication so he was on the ball.  I am also going to try to make my own saline spray for my nose, as they wanted £8 plus for it at the chemist, i am also using vick inhalation, bowl of steam. I don't use Olbas oil cos it made it all worse.  It's pretty much a case of finding what works and what doesn't and checking on the internet for me.  If you use too much nasal sprays you can get rebound congestion.  Sometimes, in some people, anxiolytics, such as benzos increase anxiety, think it's called the paradoxical response, doing the opposite of what it's supposed to do.  Keep on keeping on heysmile 
    • Posted

Think that's what's happened to me from them ,ive heard others have had same trouble ,rebound to them ,I know lot with having T say this  it's given them anxiety .If ones got T and they don't know nothing Drs about T and the reactions. Then they shouldn't give out a Benzo med .Darren doesent have T ,so maybe right way for him as turned out .

My nephews wife a nurse also with sinisitus swears by Sudafed for hers .have you tried a Neti Pot .? Dr mentioned that to me . I'll just stick to crystals .,as you've said ,keep on at different things ,same for balance. Got to be something that will work .😔

• Posted

many years ago i took a diazepam before my driving test, i couldn't remember doing the reverse around the corner, needless to say i failed that test.   I'll look up Neti Pot.  Thanks Marlene.
    • Posted

Marlene, i've just ordered the Neti pot off amazon,  It's got rave reviewssmile
    • Posted

Good Anne ,handy to have in  use it any time .hope it works ,goes for anyone on this thread who has same what we've been chatting about .More info we get out that's helped or not is always  a good thing ,then you can decide .I know more from this IPad ,than I could have ever known ,left to my own devices ,namely books ,it sinks in better talking to others with certain issues,and we all have them ain't that the truth .Stay warm Anne .😀
    • Posted

hi guys, some interesting information. I have never had a problem with tinnitus and still do not. My nose is perfectly well with no issues what so ever (touchwood). Will get my doc to have a  look at my thyroid and will go and get my BP check again by a chemist
    • Posted

Has ,yes get it all checked out ,once ruled out then I'd say  you've helped yourself best you can .,glad you've not got mine and Anne's tinnitus ,no cure for that to date. But that said trials for a drug to date are under way as I type ,it's one wholly miserable condition to have going .

Talking things out plays a big part in going to look in a direction you'd not thought to doing  and you know others have going on what you do .,yes keep that BP checked out. Not every day or week ,but on monthly basis for few months if it's been bad ,be silly not to .You may find it will just settle on its own  bodies are weird in behaviour ,No sense to it at times .Lets know what if any things been done to help you ,always good to get feedback on anything .😊

• Posted

Marlene, hope your ok. So sorry to hear bout yours and Anne’s tinnitus, but hey like you said, a cure is being found so hopefully fingers crossed.

In regards to my self, I have gone really worse in the past few days. Headaches and dizziness are worse and at a constant pressure around my head. I am beginning to feel aches and pains around my body for example; my bone joints are really beginning to ache. On top I have a runny nose, a cough and pain on my left side of my mouth. I did go out yesterday (not been out since Friday) and felt really dizzy and wanted to get home, which is why I did not want to really go out but felt as in I needed the fresh air. My friend did say, you didn’t look yourself and that my eyes weren't really focussing. 

I go back to work on Tuesday, and really don’t think I am ready to go back. I have not driven a car since the day I was admitted to hospital. 

• Posted

Hi Has

sounds like you're coming down with something.  Will you be able to take more time off if you need to, sometimes we rush back to work without giving our bodies a chance to recover.  I've been off since last Friday with this latest cold/ sinus problem, now my husband has it too. You sound a bit fluey.  I went out yesterday to get some fresh air too, thought it would help clear my head.  I was quite topsy turvy balance wise having not been out for a few days.

You have had an MRI scan haven't you?  because of the headaches and dizziness I mean.

Take care and hope you're feeling better soon, 

• Posted

Anne hi, Well I have already been off for 3 weeks so if I take off next week it will be 4 weeks. But like I say, you cannot predict when you are ill so I will speak to my doctor when I see him on Monday. 

I have had a CT scan and came back clear, but will request a MRI on Monday from my GP. It funny, this is the first time I have been this ill in my entire life. All them years of being well caught up to me!

You too, look after yourself. 

• Posted

Hi Has ,yes it hits you out of thin air ,and really shakes you up no end ,as it's not like a normal bug ,couple weeks and it's gone ,just no reasoning to it .

It's not as if it's any age group either ,crosses all age range ,but why .i was always healthy. First Dr I saw remarked on how well Id taken care of myself ,3 visits in 7 yr period,that was minor stuff ,so I use to think if I can get into my 70's before any ailments Id had considered myself lucky on health front ,then one virus 9 yrs ago set all this in motion for me .So it's been a learning curve. Not to take things for granted  as you go through life .

Don't beat ourselves up ,happens to people all the time .trust that gut feeling you get ,what you think you need to do ,push for everything you can ,me I thinkits a waiting game. If you can call it that .

Keep eating up ,or weight will drop like a stone. Did me over 4 stone in 4 months in the beginning  if you feel like your not eating ,get a bottle of Metatone in .you can buy from a chemist shop ,nurse in end told me to get on it ,best advice anyone ever gave me ,it's full of nutrients ,they give it to people convelecing ,but best from food first veg ,meat etc .Drink ample water to ,that will stop headaches faster than any pill .

Hope things improve .Stay in the warm .

• Posted

Hi Marlen, the Neti pot arrived today, instead of coming out my nostrils it blocked my left ear up, which is where all my weakness lies with balance, so i will have to try to get better at technique or give it a miss, but i'd much rather go for this more natural method than all the decongestants i'm taking at the moment, but do feel a lot better today so hopefully this cold's on its way out.
    • Posted

Hi Anne the Neti Pts do take few goes to getting the knack of it ,I had prob with Dead Sea salts nasal ,my son in laws aunt put me on to those ,as she has bad sinisitus .Keep trying it out. Go practise your skills with it on hubby ,as he's off colour .those over counter hurts my head more ,so I don't even go there .Have thought about ear poppers ,but bit unsure ,same old do I dont i .My head feels full up today ,got it front of forehead ,only worst ear hissing today ,plus neck ache going ,nothing unusual there ,my sister in law just had a bad chest infection ,second time this winter ,said she's felt really rough  so it's everywhere Anne ,as you said get over it ,then reinfected again .my sister in law works in a school ,so same as you in contact with people .decongestants I think keeps it going ,bit like antibiotics long term use ,body never learns to fight it off .Your back in work tomorrow ? let's know how you go on with that pot .do you get a sinus throat ? It's a mucus tickle ,,get it when I lay down at night ,comes and goes .Roll on spring .
    • Posted

Marlene, apologise for the late reply. I suppose you have a point. My headache still exists and I still feel dizzy. Was supposed to go Bham today but cancelled going. Im eating well (touchwood). I always drink plenty of water but this headache does not seem to move.

You take care too. I am seeing my Dr on Monday, anything in specific I should ask him for besides a MRI?

• Posted

Hi Anne ,hope you've had an okay couple weeks .

Here's something that came up  good read go check this out ,never heard of this .

STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID MUSCLE 

SMC Muscle symptoms  You Tube 

Natural Solutions for muscle pain .

This is me  neck ache. Balance ,ear pain  facial pain  eye pain. .

closest I've seen to my probs ,chap got on after being told this is what he's got  have a good look at ,let me know ,thought of you and shoulder pain ,hit a cord as me and my shoulders .Will tell Darren  if he's not looking in .

• Posted

thanks Marlene.  I have already checked this out and it is interesting.  I still have this problem with congestion and it may be due to smell of gas at work that others can now also smell. 
    • Posted

My Anne go to work and get gassed  ,that's like carbon monoxide poisoning ,you get sickness with that  when I first got ill with head pain ,I got my boiler checked out with that in mind to the amount of pain ,but that was fine all as should be ,so x the carbon out of picture for my trouble .Lets hope that's your congestion gone if turns out to be that .Lots here with congestion ,but putting it down to the flu jab they had ,as so many with it ,never feeling well ,as you .

Have a read on what Rocksolid said ,Id never heard of it  never had it mentioned either at drs or an ENT .Unless we try were always going to be how we are now I believe .No movement .

• Posted

this is a good article on the SCM muscle, but is being moderated until you can probably read this reply.

One of my colleagues at work is also really congested, another is complaining of aching bones and headache, and i am going to move out of our main office on monday to see if it makes any difference to my congestion and buy a carbon monoxide monitor to take to work to check things out as our managers aren't taking my concerns seriously even though another 2 colleague are saying they can smell gas.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Marlene

i replied but it is waitng to be moderated as contained a link on the SCM muscle which gave some good tips on massaging this muscle to relieve knots in the muscle.  I am going to move rooms where i work to see if i improve as i will be away from the vents that are connected to the air con.  An engineer came out to our workplace and said the smell of gas was coming from below the window where i sit.  I am also going to get a carbon monoxide detector to take to work to see if there is any problem as at least 3 of us are having different symptoms of headaches, muscle aches and congestion.  It's ridiculous that the engineer that came out didn't check the room for carbon monoxide and just said the smell of gas is coming from the vents.  At least 3 of us have been smelling the gas.  Unbelievable!

• Posted

I hate those ventilation vents ,they just spread stuff around room by room ,can't mess about with breathing in gas,silent killer they call it ,and today there's less smell to it ,so you were lucky in calling it   Last thing you want in blood stream ,though a surgery would have had them detectors as like in Health and Safety .First thing I thought was gas as I said. Nothing else in here  plus wondered if outside leak,but engineer checked that out as well Zero .As you said unbelievable .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.