Headache....Muscle Tension?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So...the muscles in the sides and back of my neck are very tense today (which isn't really new, because I tend to tighten those muscles when I'm anxious, which is pretty much all the time)...anyone had any experience with a headache as a result of that tension? It's kind of an all-over headache (oh, and my jaw muscles hurt too), it feels as though my head is too heavy for my neck to support. I had myself in a right panic earlier today because I've been dizzy for weeks now too and I was convinced I was having some sort of catastrophic brain event (like a stroke)....clearly, since I've felt this way since I woke up this morning, I'm probably not going to die from it, but I'm still concerned...could this be one more wacky hormonal symptom (I've had a light period for the past six days....longer than usual and it started about a week and a half after my last one (which was very light/spotty)....which was the first one I've had in two and a half months)....more importantly, how can I stop obsessing about every little thing that goes wrong with my body? It's maddening!! The worry breeds the tension which breeds the worry...on and on it goes!

(I had a massage last night....could that have made my muscles feel a bit achier than usual today? She did spend a lot of time on my neck and shoulders).

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hello wearykitty i too get the same headachs as you i feel my head is too heavy for my neck and my jaw aches,I get a lot of those.  I do think for me its related to being anxious and yes i think i tighten those muscles unknowingly.  I always think i'm about to have a stroke but as it happens so often and i've not had one then it must be peri.  I have been on a very light sort of spotting period since Sunday.  I too obsess about every symptom and i used to shrug things off and was good at mind over matter but not any more although i have got better. Your so  right about worry breeds the tension which breeds worry. I cant make anything better for you but your not alone were all in it together so we must keep each other strong. sending you a friday hug x 
  • Posted

The massage could have aggrevated it temporariy - does my neck and shoulder problems, does get better though and was the right thing to do.

Big hugs xxx

• Posted

That sounds just like me. I used to have weekly physio and it really played up the following day, usually with a headache. I'm off to see someone this morning about the jaw pain. My head always feels heavy Xx
  • Posted

I have exactly the same. Had a massage on Wednesday morning and was told that my headaches and back ache would go - even though I haven't been suffering with either recently! The massage around my neck and shoulders was very painful and I've had a ache across my shoulders and neck ever since, along with a 'light' headache.I'm thinking about booking another (we were on holiday when I had it) and see if a local massuer can do something to stop it. I've been taking ibuprofen to help shift the discomfort for now.

• Posted

did you have headaches and neck pain when you were due on a period.

All the symotoms are there and how we are approaci=ginh the menopause i thikn that are bodies still think we are inperiod mode and still act like we are.

the other week i felt ill, sick headaches cold and just generally unwell, had a bit of spotting not mch but a horrible ache in my stomach,  sofrom my point of veiw my bidy is still reacting like a period is coming but it does not and i am fed up about it all and i am paronlid that there is something serious with me.  but just put it down to the menopause.  what us women have to suffer with!!!!!  how long do we have to suffer until we can feel 100% better

sorry to rant HTH

• Posted

Hi all. I saw guy about jaw yesterday and it is all muscle tension caused by stress and anxiety! Surprise surprise. I asked him about meno and he said menopause changes can add to the anxiety but I need to find coping strategies to deal with the stress relief😗. If I can reduce my stress the rests will follow. If only it were that simple!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.