Headache, neck stiffness, should I insist on a CT scan?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Already seen a doctor and been given muscle relaxants for my neck.  I'm male 43, normal blood pressure, no smoking, some drinking, some family stroke history.

The reason I saw the doctor is that for about a week I've had an unusual headache in back of head (I never get headaches) accompanied by neck stiffness that comes and goes (sometimes severe on tilting back, hurts after a certain angle when turning side to side). No other  symptoms, no nausea etc.

My concern is whether this could be a missed warning sign for a brain bleed. Should I insist on a CT/CTA scan?  I'm planning to be on a fairly remote beach in three weeks and it would be hard to get urgent medical care quickly if anything happened.

Thanks for any insights!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Maybe u need a chiropractor do the headaches come and go or r they do constant
  • Posted

Ifi wereyou, I'd go to (depending on where you are in the world) A&E/ER. Cutting out themiddle man would be safest I think. I had a brain bleed, obviously they're serious, take no chances. Good luck.
  • Posted

A person can cause a bulging disc by rolling over weirdly in bed!  I would get a ct scan.  Does it help to put one of your arms, lower arm resting on top of your head, up in that position?  Everyone I know that has had surgery on a neck disc instinctively got in that position to alleviate the pain (for a few minutes!), including me.  Doubt it is a bleed because it would be such a severe headache you wouldn't have been able to post your concern.  Still, I would try to see if you might have a impinged nerve causing your headaches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.