Headache, wobbly, metallic taste 1 week after gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

my 74 year old mother in law had her gallbladder removed a week ago. After a year of intense pain she is now pain free, but seems to be taking a long while to recover from the anaesthetic- she has suffered headaches, backache, a dry mouth and a nasty metallic taste as well as feeling unsteady on her feet. She has not eaten well for months, due to near constant pain, but although she has been drinking lots of water and eating small but proper meals again post op, she is not feeling herself yet. She has not had a GA in over 40 years and we have been reassuring her that at 74 it will take a good week to get all the anaesthetic out of her system, but I had hoped she would have been feeling better each day. It is my father in laws 80th on Saturday and she would love to be well - any suggestions welcome, or just reassurance. She is seeing a nurse tomorrow to have the stitches removed so will be checked then but I suspect she will be told it just takes time....

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie yes unfortunately it does take time to recover the older you get I was 67 when I had mine three years ago took me ages to feel better, the GA alone is a look t to cope with never mind all the bruising inside a week is nothing really I was a good four to six weeks before I really felt well. I found walking around my bungalow eased things a bit and very small meals low fat no salads they can really upset your tum after GB removal. Tell her the party will do her good she can just sit and watch the festivities it will give her a boost. Hope she is feeling better soon love xxxxxxx
  • Posted

HiĀ 

I had mine removed a year ago . I was 50. It takes 6 weeks to recover. Although it is key hole inside they have cut and stitched etc you . The keyhole wounds are still cut through your abdominal muscle so lifting is out of the question ...if you do use them ..I swept the floor ..a week after u feel wretched like you've been punched in the stomach...also it's a trauma to be operated on.. We book it in but our bodies react to being stabbed...generally our nerves are shook up before too. I think she needs to tell the nurse get her blood pressure checked etc put her mind at ease ...she will propberly feel better just seeing the nurse.. I was rough for 2 weeks weak etc ..then I was out and about after that but resting.

remind your mother in law that 40 years ago you had your operation and then went for a week or two to a converlescent home to be looked after..and recover ..those were the days. Now they save money and boot you out in the same day ....

• Posted

It would be a good idea to have her checked for a mineral deficiency. The most likely culprits being iron, vitamin d3 or b12. She could also be dealing with low blood sugar if she isnt eating enough to make.up for the extra calories burnt in the muscle and cell repair. I felt almost exactly the way you are describing after having my daighter and it was dangerously low iron levels combined with low blood sugar from not feeling up to eating all that much.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies. She has her stitches removal and check up tomorrow, so hopefully she will at least be reassured. After so long in pain, I think she is relieved that the pain has gone and if it takes a few weeks to get fully back to normal, that is a small price to pay. I do just wish the doctors would set expectations a bit better....it would save a lot of worry :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.