headaches

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi has anyone taking tipramate for migraines. Has it helpt you. Or has it made you ill like its made me ill with the side affects or what other things doctors have tried with you

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

It was like poison to me!  I hated it so much!

It made me suicidal and begged them to find something else and eventually they did.

I know it works for some people, but not me.  Pregabalin, Verapamil and Sumatriptan, injections and tablets help me.

Good luck in finding something that works for you.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I was on it last year and to be honest it made me very depressed, didn't help and my hair started falling out. I was so grumpy with my partner and took everything out on him. As soon as I mentioned these side effects to my neuro he took me off them as they would only get worse. I've tried a lot of meds since then but recently I've been on epilim and it's been amazing I'm a least 70% better! Maybe worth mentioning also I take naratriptan as an abortive. Hope this helps. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Lisa

on Topirimate I suffered with slow thinking, all manner of gynecological pain, skin conditions, lightheadedness and eventually thrombocytepinea (excuse spelling!) which made my platelets suddenly drop. If you haven't tried it already ask to be put on Epilim or Epilim Chrono as it is from the same group of Epilepsy drugs used as preventers but the only side effect I experienced was some weight gain which if you are aware of in advance you can avoid. I had 2 years of no migraines on this until I became immune - good luck!

• Posted

I was given Topiramate and it was terrible for the first 3-4 days everytime i went to fall sleep i got a lil shock from my head running down to my toes and it was ALWAYS when i was bout to fall sleep, so for 3-4 days i didnt get any sleep and then after i found it made me feel a lil sick

i have also given amitriptyline which did nothing for me, i have been given 4 different types of meds for my migranes and nothing has helped so the doctor is sending me back to the nurologist to see what else they can come up with

everything they have given me they have either not worked or i got side effects from everything lol i swear the doctor is losing patience with me

• Posted

Hi thanks for your message migraines can be quite nasty. What does the nuro specilist do on the first appoitmemt
    • Posted

he/she asks you qestions about how often they come and what they feel like, checks your eyes then prescribes meds, its hard talking to them cause they dunno how you feel and how it affects your life, i had another apointment the otherday and they just gave me sodium valproate, omeprazole, naproxen (but they told me differntly how to tke it to what the phamacy told me) so i called them up and 2 days later still waiting for a call back
  • Posted

Hi Lisa

I took Topiramate for several months and it made me severely depressed.  I realised that it was the drug when I had a particularly bad migraine, didn't eat for 2-3 days and started to realise that I felt much better in myself. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Took Topirimate as my last medication about 12 months ago.Initially my migraines but as my body got used to it , it became ineffective.Went back to doctors on 3 occasions to up the dosage until one morning i woke up feeling like a zombie, didnt have strength to get out of bed.Stopped it there and then.

Now trying alternative therapies as given up on docs and tablets..

• Posted

I feel sorry for you i now migraines can be quite bad i get them bad
  • Posted

Hi Lisa

I was put on Topiramate over a year ago and felt ok to start with . Then the migraines came back with evengence. My doctor who was totally unsympathetic suggested that I play around with the dose . Upping it from 25mg to about 75mg . That's when the real problems started . I became deeply depressed and suicidal and feeling really ill.

It was only when I paid to go back to the neurologist as my Doctor said it was a waste of time . That the dose was reduced back to 25mg .

Having in the past tried everything there is for Migraine sufferers with either huge side effects or they didn't work .

I really think that Topiramate is an extremely hard drug for most people to tolerate. Think very carefully before you go down this route . I wish you luck .

• Posted

Hi carolyn thanks for your message ive been taken toprimate for a few mnths and they make me ill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.