Headaches

Posted , 7 users are following.

I need a bit of advice.  As we all know, headaches are a common symptom of ME.  When I am laying down or even supporting my head, I do not get headaches.  However, if I am walking around or sitting without a head support, I get monster headaches.  It feels as though my head will explode.  Does anyone find that having a head support is a key difference in whether or not you get headaches?  Also, does anyone suggest a medication that will work on these headaches?  Gabapentin and Tramadol work for body pain, but don't seem to get the headaches.  I would really like something that would decrease the pain when I am forced to go without a head rest.  Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ravenwood, I have these headaches too - I've recently had blood tests and memory tests because i have awful short-term memory loss too.  I have been getting a huge sharp pain to the left of my head, and when I get it, I also have numbness to the left side of my face - do you experience that too?  Also, my head ache lessens if I lie down, and if I slouch on my settee, supporting my head.  I wonder if it's the same as yours?  I take Gabapentin for my arthritic neck pain and limb pains due to M.E. and I'm afraid not much else helps the head aches really.  Though when I had the flu last November, my head pain was twice as painful, and Paracetemol seemed to help then.  I haven't tried Paracetemol since, because I don't like taking too much medication and I'm on loads already!!!  So, Paracetemol might work for you?

Good luck with it, I really hope you get some relief as it's horrible isn't it.

• Posted

oddly my heart medication dilitiazem has reduced my migraines and headaches a lot it know it is used for migraines, maybe worth asking about?
  • Posted

Not sure really..I just lay down so , yes, my head is supported. Maybe trial and error ?

Good lucky anyway...hope you get those headaches under control soon.

Neurofen helps me....but I don't have headaches of foggy brain since being on Sertraline 50 mg.

Jinny🐭

• Posted

Hi Ravenwood; I'm not sure if this is of any use, but I do know that If I don't support my neck muscles, then my bad headaches come.....how I do this is either have physio strap my shoulders back (the tape goes from shoulders to centre of back), or if havn't been to physio, even just putting some Sports Tape around back of neck, helps to support my neck muscles, which eleviates the continual headaches....and of course the old hot pack, to also keep muscles relaxed with some muscle relaxent gel/cream............I also ensure that if I feel an headache coming, I treat it immediately with 2 soluble aspirin...but this happens maybe once or twice a month now, as I make a lot of use of my physio.  As I said, not sure if this is your answer, but ?may help............Bron
  • Posted

Hello Raven, when I first got ME I used to have headaches most of the time but I rarely get them now. For me it was environmental. Radiators are coated with formaldehyde which we breath in when they're switched on for instance so I stopped using them. 

I use eco friendly paint and I had to get rid of my fridge and freezer because every time I opened the doors I could smell the gases and got headaches and nausia. I got rid of my microwave. I can't live perfectly well without these things I found cleaner alternatives for everything. 

I can't speak for anyone else but as I said I hardly ever get them now and haven't for several years.

• Posted

Typo correction, I can live perfectly well without those things. razz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.