Headaches and Cimitidine

Posted , 1 user is following.

I started to take cimitidine abouta year ago when I had what seemed to be ibs. Quite by accident I found it got rid of the headaches that were non stop for months - the full ears etc. I had to stop taking it when I found it affected me with bad side effects. Then I had a bad cough which plagued me every day for a while and that went and the headaches came back. They are awful and go around the top of my head like a vice. The normal

medication for the headaches either did not work or gave me a bad stomach.In desperation I took one cimitidine and within half an hour it was nearly all gone and two hours later my ears and head were 100% again.

Surely this must mean that the headaches are caused by silent acid reflux?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

One of the side effects of Cimitidine is headache but I can't see any way acid reflux could cause a headache unless it in some way causes dehydration which leads to the headache? 

Ive tried googling Cimitide and headaches but it just comes up as a side effect. 

It's a mystery--but if it stops the pain can it do any harm? 

• Posted

Hi Hollyberry - what a christmasy name! Merry Christmas to you and everyone here.

I know that cimitidine can give you headaches. When I took it months ago for my coughing it gave me an awful headache.But when the coughing has gone away and the headaches are there it takes them away. I have found a loit of posts from people with silent acid reflux saying that one of their syhmptoms was a bad headache. But often doctors do not connect the two.

I would never take cimitidine three times a day forever the way some people do, but I fihnd that taking one tablet when the headache is terrible removes the headache for at least a few days. And then I would only take anohter cimitidine when the headache is as bad again. So probably two or three tablets a week at thevery most as opposed tio three a day.

• Posted

Hi Hollyberry - what a christmasy name! Merry Christmas to you and everyone here.

I know that cimitidine can give you headaches. When I took it months ago for my coughing it gave me an awful headache.But when the coughing has gone away and the headaches are there it takes them away. I have found a loit of posts from people with silent acid reflux saying that one of their syhmptoms was a bad headache. But often doctors do not connect the two.

I would never take cimitidine three times a day forever the way some people do, but I fihnd that taking one tablet when the headache is terrible removes the headache for at least a few days. And then I would only take anohter cimitidine when the headache is as bad again. So probably two or three tablets a week at thevery most as opposed tio three a day. My doctor told me that some people take cimitidine for sinus headaches etc but she left out that most sinus problems are cuased by silent acid reflux and being misdiagnosed as sinus problems when sinus is really just a signs of the acid reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.