Headaches and Migraines - When will it end?!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

I've been suffering from what doctors now believe to be migraine related vertigo for about a year now. The vertigo has drastically improved, but the headaches and migraines are causing me lots of problems. Doctors put me on propanolol for headaches nearly 3 weeks ago and if anything I think this has made my problems worse. Headaches are way more frequent to the point I'm getting them every single day now, and I've had trouble sleeping full nights since starting them due to sleep disturbances which is making me incredibly tired all day. I've had to take Nurofen almost every day since starting on the propanolol, it's gotten to the point where it's only making very small differences and I believe it's making my headaches worse due to over use. I'm aware of how bad it can be to take them so frequently so have tried not to take them the last few days, but I'm at my witts end with it all! Every day I'm getting headaches of different severity, it makes me terribly sensitive to light and it's impacting my day to day life drastically. I have a doctor's appointment in two days and I'm posting here mostly for advice. Should the propanolol of started working now and is it likely to get better? Are there prescription painkillers doctors can give for these things that are better than taking over the counter stuff? I'm so tired of these headaches and really need advice.

Thank you.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I am in a clinical trial with the pills for a CRGP drug that I doubt will be approved.  The pills take 2 hours to work.  I have been taking them prophylactically and that is the only way they work. I do think the injections will be approved.  8 companies at least have one of these types of drugs.  I was a manager with a drug company and have been reading about these drugs for several years.  

I take a sumatriptan pill as soon as I feel it coming on otherwise.  If that doesn't work, I use the sumatriptan injection.  If a cold front is coming in at night, I will take a longer acting triptan called Naratriptan to prevent.  I always get headaches around cold fronts.  I'm trying the gluten free diet again, but so far no help.  I don't eat chocolate much anyway and I drink very little coffee.  I can't drink much in the way of alcohol any more due to migraines.  I will be grateful if these CGRP drugs prevent migraines, but who knows if they will work for me.  They work to prevent in 50% of the people and help anther 25% some.  Everything I've tried might help to begin with but then doesn't help after a while.  Good luck.  We all need it. 

• Posted

Hi Gaye

very interesting......it appears that many of my migraines have been weather related...not sure yet which is the cause between highs and lows with barometer changes.  I live in 

• Posted

Hiya,

Thank you for your advice. It's such a shame there's no easy fix with these things. Best of luck to you with your trials, I hope you find something that works for you.

• Posted

Hi Gaye

does the Naratriptan work well for weather related migraines?  Maybe I should try that.  Last week with the crazy weather, I was taking Rizatriptan each day to prevent migraines.  I wish there was an over the counter med that we could take for that but not sure which one if any would help.  I have not heard of Naratriptan so I will ask doctor about it.  We took a road trip and drove through Wyoming where the elevation became high.....I ended up in the ER as the pressure gave me a horrible migraine...so all kinds of pressure seems to trigger them..ugh.  All I know is that I'm greatful to have the Rizatriptan to take for onset of the migraine.....tried a different med in Wyoming....big mistake.  Keep us posted.

Wendy

• Posted

Wendy,

Naratriptan is a longer acting triptan.  It is slower to work than sumatriptan. The reason I take it at night sometimes is the clouds are moving in or a front is coming, and that is when I get migraines so I'll take one half of the 2.5 mg.  During the day, usually in the afternoon for me, I get very sleepy and feel the migraine coming on.  Then I take the sumatriptan which is faster acting. I half the 100mg and therefore the scripts last me longer.  I have a background in pharmaceuticals and although our company didn't have a triptan, I've tried to keep us with migraine drugs.  I'm now in a study for a new class of drugs called  CGRP.  Two companies might have the injection out this year.  It is a preventative and it is self administered. No side effects for me so far.  It is known to be very well tolerated, better than the triptans.  I'm just taking a pill which only works well for me if I take it the second I'm getting a headache or before.  It takes 2 hours to start helping my headaches and that isn't good for a treatment drug for migraines.

Migraines take so much out of our lives.  Someday they''ll figure them out, but I may not still be here!!

If you are in the Colorado area, they are doing clinical trials on the new class of drugs in Boulder and maybe elsewhere.  You might look into that.  We used to live in Denver and still have a home there.  A friend is on the CGRP drug from one of the studies they are doing in Boulder. 

Take care,

Gaye

• Posted

Hello Gaye

thank you for sharing.  Yes I hope they come up with better meds for Migraines...although Rizatriptan has been a blessing.  Just get concerned that if the weather is not good then I have been having to take one every day, so far I have not had to take more than 5 days...one each day.  Very concerned of getting rebound headaches if you take too much.  Lately my head issues startin evening and during the night as well....the weather seems to create issues for us migraine sufferers.  Must be barameter pressureand change of temperatures.  Mine starts in the eyes then sinus then head.  It is so hard to make plans and travel as I don't know when migraine will happen and if I  get it under control.

• Posted

Hi Emmy,I was on proprananol for 6 months and it was the only thing that has reduced my migraine intensity but unfortunately it can come with side effects.I had 6 weeks of worse migraines and permanent headaches before it kicked in and then I used to get about one a month but it was treatable with just 2 Nurofen! It was such a relief but then it triggered asthma and I had to stop taking it.Talk to your doctor about reducing the dosage and then gradually increasing it.i hope it works for you x
  • Posted

Hi Emmyx

did your doctors ever try you on a triptan like Rizatriptan or Sumatriptan before starting you on these other meds??  I take a Rizatriptan on the onset of a headache/migraine and it takes away migraine...the key is to take it right when you feel one coming on.  It sounds like you now have rebounding headaches from all the meds.  There is a pack that will help that.  My heart goes out to you.....I know as a migraine sufferer.  But the Rizatriptan for me gives me quality of life.

• Posted

Hi there,

Thank you for responding! They had me on Sumatriptan when I first began to get these problems, however the dosage they were suggesting were multiple a day instead of when just when they were coming on. They had quite a drowsy effect so after pumping several in a day, within a few days I was like a zombie! However, I did think about perhaps suggesting trying it again on the basis of taking it when completely necessary. I might suggest this or the other one that you are on to my doctor tonight. Many thanks!

• Posted

Oh yes Emmy

you should only take a triptan on the onset and only take another one if the first does not take away the headache.  You should only take 2 RiZatriptan in a 24 hour day.  If taken too many and too often you can get rebounding headaches.  Don't take the second Rizatriptan until 2 hours after first one and ONLY if needed. Remember the key is to take the Rizatriptan on the onset!!....so important.  If on the third day you still have headache my doctor said to take a rizatriptian along with a Fioricet...... to try to knock it out and to avoid rebounding headaches.  Please ask your doctor if you have rebounding headaches with taking too many meds ask for a pack that could help get rid of or knock out those headaches now.  Some doctors will not prescribe more than 9 triptains per month.  Only take when needed and I'm told no more than 2 a day and no more than 6 in a 3 day period......put that is prescribed for me.  I hope this helps and that you have the right doctor to help you...please tell him all the meds you have been taking..please let us know how your apt went.

Blessings,

Wendy

• Posted

I can definitely relate to this.

Propranolol never worked for me. 80mg slow release was to strong and just made me worse.

Got switched to amitriptyline as a preventative and that helped massively both with sleep, jaw pain and migraines. It took about 2 months to kick in as well though and 2 weeks to get over the initial side effects. It's a very slow progress all this.

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for replying! Yes, it really is a slow process. I have a feeling the doctor might tell me tonight to keep at it for another few weeks and then come back and see. It's reassuring to hear that other people had the same problems as me, good to know I'm not alone! I will definitely ask about other alternatives. Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Emmyx

how did your doctors appointment go yesterday? I hope you were able to get some good help. Keep us posted.

wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.