Headaches approx 3 years. Advice welcome.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering headaches for three or so. I had an eye which showed there was slight changes to my sight and i received a new prescription. The optomotrist explained my eyes were not causing the problem. i plodded on with the headaches as they were not very problematic. However over the last few months they become more painful both tension type and migrainous. I do not take anything for the pain unless i have to. i visited my gp who completed a fundoscopy which came back on both occasions. i was eventually given propanalol which initially helped however over the last 10 days i have had faily headaches again.

Nothing has changed as in worries, anxiety etc. I am on Cerrelle since 2017 and i changed medication in 2018 for arthritis pain. I dont drink much coffee or fizzy drinks, I generally get enough sleep, i drink lots of water and I exercise everyday.

i am going back to the gp as im startingto wake during the night with horrendous pains and i am back to waking up with headaches which last all day.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you

Ashley

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashley, Maybe have your dr review your meds and see about a better preventative. Not sure of your age, but, for me I have chronic migraines since perimenopause. Any type of hormonal change can be a trigger. I am on nortriptyline...I have vestibular migraine. Amitriptyline is another med used off label for pain. Of course talk to your dr though whereas you take Cerrelle.

• Posted

Thank you, i really think my meds need reviewing. I've only tried Propanalol.

I take cerrelle for period pain otherwise I am in agony or 2/3 days each month.

I am 39, I was first diagnosed with migraines when i was around 13. I only got migraines with aura after they settled down taking a preventative mediation every day. I don't get the aura as much now, thankfully.

• Posted

Sorry I meant say I hope you are managing your symptoms okay. Sounds like you're having a tough time.

• Posted

Hi Ashley, I have been on nortriptyline since Dec, I will get migraines, but they do not last days on end like before. Still have trouble around my cycle. I am at 30mgs...but my dr is titrating me up until the migraines are under control. I started perimeno at 38...migraines and dizziness chronic since 40. I am 41 now.

• Posted

I wanted to add...I also used to wake up with migraines daily. If you are taking over the counter pain relievers everyday...you may be getting a rebound migraine. Especially true with excedrin or similiar. The combo of caffeine, aspirin and aceteminiphin can get rid of a migraine quick, but can cause rebound headaches. Track everything and see if there is a pattern.

• Posted

i rarely take any OTC meds, only if im agony. i started a diary of when i have a headache, where the pain is etc as it helps to see if theres a pattern, there isnt unfortunately.

Back to the drawing board at GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.