Headaches for 8 months please help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi my name is Blair and I'm a junior in high school. At the beginning of this school year (September 11th to be exact), I started getting headaches. After about a week I told my mother and she took my to a walk in clinic. The dr told me I had a sinus infection which made sense because I also felt pressure in my face and had a stuffy nose. I took the medicine she prescribed for the 10 days but it did not help. I went to my pediatrician a week after and she prescribed me more medicine that did not help. Eventually (after being put on several other medicines that made me sick including an extremely high dosage of prednesone) my nose cleared up but my headache was still there. Since September I've had a headache every day at different intensities. I've gone to 4 pediatricians, 3 emergency rooms, an ENT, a dentist (I now have TMJ and have a bite guard for my teeth), Orthodontist, Eye Doctor, Chiropractor, and a neurologist. The chiropractor helped me a lot at first but now it seems like it's not doing much. I've had a CT scan that came out clean and just got an MRI and MRV done and am waiting for the result. I am not sure if I have chronic headaches or if there is something obvious that everyone's missing!! My headaches seem to stress from the back of my head and go to the front of it. My cheeks are also very sensitive and hurt often. Loud noise intensifies the pain too. There were many times were I couldn't get out of bed. Also, I am a long distance runner and was forced to stop running about 3 months ago because I was not able to function properly. My grades are slipping In school and I am having difficultly doing simple tasks and concentrating. Usually I am happy and full of energy but now I am exhausted, weak, and have anxiety. Please help me if you have any ideas or thoughts . Thank you guys so much!! -Blair

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have headaches like this myself, I lose my vision, sick to my stomach and noise is not at all accepted. I was finally told I had an aneurysm in my brain , but even though they went in and put coils in my head it didn't help I'm still having the headaches that cripple my life. Now they say my bones have broken in my neck and cause the headaches but I'm not sure they know why. I'm so sorry at your young age you are having such pain. I will pray that you get better and hope that we both can find our trouble. If I can help in any way I'm here.

• Posted

Thank you very much. It's so frusturating when after so many doctors they still can't nail exactly what the illness it!

• Posted

Just replied to your post on Medhelp, a different forum so I'm gonna post my same response here as well (trust me, I know what it's like to spend hours searching the web and posting to every forum possible to find out what's wrong):

I'm really sorry that you're going through this, especially because I went through something really similar for 6 months. It stopped a couple months ago after I started going to acupuncture...it sounds crazy, I know. I'd done everything you had...pediatricians, neurologists, medicine, eye doctor, MRI, and it was affecting my daily life. I finally decided to go to the acupuncturist and after 4 sessions, once a week, my headaches were 95% better. You have to do your research and make sure you go to the right person, but my acupuncturist says she can't remember how many years it's been since she couldn't cure a headache, or at least make it better. Please consider giving it a shot because I know how it feels lose all hope because of your headaches. Best of luck!

• Posted

It seems that I just need a mix of treatments. The chiropractor is helping and I was put on Amitriptyline for the headaches about 2 weeks ago and the pain is down 50%. An acupuncturist is the next place I would try if the medicine doesn't reduce the headaches more!

• Posted

you sound like me i've had these kind of syptoms but only for 5 weeks, many people believe i am on the verge of depression and i have had 4 weeks of school sometimes i feel  like i just can't face the day

let me know if you get anywhere

i hope you do

• Posted

I was diagnosed with depression as well and I was always a happy person. Amitriptyline is an antidepressant used to treat depression, anxiety, facial pain and headaches so it is working well for me I recommend it! I am going to need a higher dosage as I am only on 10 mg per day but this a great start.
  • Posted

Maybe you have perennial allergies, thus the sinus blockage, pain in the face and at the temples....the sinuses swell up and cause pain...I had a similar constant pressure on my temples.....have you tried a 24 hr non sedating new antihistamine like loraditine , certizine,..etc....it will stop release of histamine, stop your sinus swelling,.....stop inflamation,.....try it, for a week - 10 days...it may be your solution,.......pretty well no side effects,..no drowsiness.  good luck

RAY ..CANADA

• Posted

That sounds exactly like what I have. I always seems to have sinus pain and if it goes away it will come back within a week. I will have to try that! Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.