Headaches from Fluoxetine

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started taking fluoxetine (10 mg/day) last week, and today was my 10th day taking it. It seems like every day since the day I started taking it, I have had on and off headaches centered around the temple. It really picked up 3 days ago, and has felt like I’ve had a constant headache since then. I’ve felt it everywhere from next to my eyes up to the top of my head, and sometimes in the back of the head. It feels like an immense pressure at its worst, and a bit of numbness at its best. Is this just a side effect of the drug? I’m fairly sure it’s just my body readjusting to the drug, but I just want some reassurance that nothing too horrible is going on. Besides the headaches, I have no other side effects, and my anxiety has even gone down a little bit!

Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matt

i am on 20mg and i am in my 6th week. i also have had headaches off and on , not every day. when they come they are quite severe across my forehead.usually ok when at rest but they get worse with exercise- walking etc. also i have numbness in my arms and hands along with it ( although this could be anxiety) . I also think it is side effects as quite a few people on here have reported the same.  Good that your anxiety has gone down after 10 days. I am still very anxious after 6 weeks, hoping for improvement soon.

• Posted

I am still struggling after 8 weeks it seems to take ages
  • Posted

I have awful headaches but I think they are probably anxiety because I have had them for ages I am 8 weeks on fluoxetine hoping I get some relief soon
  • Posted

Hiya Matt .. sorry it’s just the Prozac getting in to your body, thus is one hell of a slow med to take, I’m 8+ months and on 60 mg now and I’d prob say only in the last few weeks have the headaches stopped, and tuk 3months to feel good again about my self, and symptoms to go, but now I feel great and wouldn’t come off Prozac unless it every stopped working, bear with it, I’m sure you will get there x
  • Posted

Started 60mg fluoxetine 32 days ago. I have lost 7 kg (15,4 pounds) in one month - which is great. But having intense, long-lasting, daily headaches. Sleep around 5 hours per night. But going to stick with this treatment and find ways to adjust. Hopefully the headaches go away in time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.