Headaches similar to cybersickness when reading paper documents

Posted , 1 user is following.

For the last 7 years or so, I've been aware of moderate headaches I experience (I'm only 20 years old - as far as I can tell, I've had these my whole life).

They are dull tension headaches occurring at the front of my forehead, leaving me slightly nauseous and struggling to concentrate, and I find my triggers are vaguely similar to cybersickness (which I also experience), but I can't find any match to these specific triggers online.

I'm not in an urgent situation, but if anybody knows about or experiences a similar condition it would be helpful to know. Thank you.

Triggers:

Reading (whether paper print or digital) whilst looking downwards.

I always find after using my phone for several minutes that I also get a bad headache, or more slowly if my laptop screen is tilted at a low angle or is on a low desk.

Similarly, I get a mild headache if I am looking at a fairly downwards angle, talking to somebody at the bottom of the stairs whilst I am at the top for about 20 minutes.

Quickly turning my gaze between two documents I am reading, e.g. two documents on my desk (this causes a severe headache after several minutes). Similarly, if I am working with large tables of data on a single document, this requires me turning my eyes around the paper a lot.

Fortunately, paracetamol helps these headaches. I used to rarely take it (only for the worst headaches), but I may start using it more. Avoiding my triggers also helps - though this is not always possible. Since I've gotten better at understanding these triggers over the last 5 years, I now only experience the headaches mildly a few times a week instead of severely daily.

Any insight you can offer is appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.