Headaches: Updated

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, my name is Adam and I'm 16. Recently I went for an eye test because I have been getting headaches for 3 weeks straight, every single day. The pain is dull and comes and goes throughout the day. I am concerned it could be something quite series like a brain tumour. My eye test showed that my eyes are healthy. Does that mean I don't have anything to worry about because they looked behind my eyes for any pressure to the brain and found nothing. If it isn't what do you think it is and how can I make them go away.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The majority of headaches have no sinister cause. They hurt like hell, they ruin our days but it's rare to be caused by something really bad.

A serious condition would also have other effects. Can you balance on one leg for 5 seconds? Then stretch hand out to right. Bring it in and touch your nose with index finger, repeat left hand. Count backwards from 100. Choose 3 random words, repeat them , then count backwards from 10. Repeat the 3 words. If all these work, there's no pressure behind your eyes, then you can relax. Chances of it being serious are minute.

could be sinusitis---pain from that is totally awful. 

My current head aches are caused by nothing more than a tightening of neck muscles--such a simple cause get it put me in hospital twice and 5 doctors failed to diagnose it. 

• Posted

Try checking your neck is loose.

google sinus problems and see if any of that gives you clues to your headaches.

do you use a tablet/ phone for long periods? Apparently that causes neck strain, leading to headaches.

drink plenty if water through the day--dehydration is a cause of headaches.

good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. I have done them all succeesfully. If it is sinus, is there any way of getting rid of it such as taking painkillers. I've had it for 3 weeks now. Parts of my head are very sensitive when you press on them. Is that also a symptom?
  • Posted

Sinus problems can cause awful headaches, sometimes pain around or behind your eyes, sometimes your face hurts. I can't describe how bad the pain can fet for such a minor problem! First time I had it I was convinced I had a brain tumour. Bent down to pick up some small plants---couldn't stand up. 

Try steam.hit water in a bowl, towel over your head, breathing steam.

Also this works and is not as disgusting as it sounds :

buy a carton or bottle of tomato juice

lemon or bottle of lemon juice

tabasco sauce

clove of garlic.

pour 3/4 mug of tomato juice

add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce and add 1 crushed clove of garlic. Heat in pan or microwave.

drink 2 mugs of this 2 hours apart. It's like spicy soup, not nearly as bad as it sounds and it cures sinusitis. You can add a piece of crushed ginger too if you like that.

• Posted

Sorry, steaming should say HOT water in a bowl!
    • Posted

Ok. Thank you for your advice. Will definitly try what you suggested. You have put my mind at rest with concerns of the brain tumour thing. Thanks again.
  • Posted

No problem.

obviously, if you get any other symptoms---blurred vision, or you pass out, anything unusual, go to your doctor.

Most headaches aren't sinister---bit that's little comfort when you're in pain!

• Posted

Hi, sorry to bother you again but do you know if it is normal to have tender spots on the scalp when having this illness. Is this part of it or something else. The pain is felt when you press on those spots on top of the head.
  • Posted

There are so many different types of pain. There's direct pain---say you stub your toe-your toe hurts.then there's referred pain--the pain is caused in one location but travels  

along nerves and is felt somewhere else. My headaches were caused by a neck problem but I felt the pain in a line across the top of my head and into my eye sockets.

try this---sit upright in a chair,place your hands spread out on your head and gently press and massage your scalp---very gentle, small movements.  If you do this for a couple of minutes, do you feel as if there's mucus moving down the back of your throat , or tubes behind your throat? If you do that's usually a sign of blocked sinuses.

try the steam---every hour for a couple of days if you can. And make the tomato drink. If that helps relieve the pain chances are it's a sinus problem.

make sure you get some fresh air every day , drink water and move your head and neck ( slowly nod up and down,side to side, tilt your head to side) move your arms too 

and shoulders. Pain makes you tense, you hold your body more rigidly and that can cause more pain.

id say if all the above doesn't help maybe see GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.