headaches when I feel anxious and not been able to eat properly at the fear of choking anyone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sick of taking hours to eat as I have to brace myself before I swallow at the fear of choking

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There is a symptom of anxiety that can cause us to focus on an automatic function such as swollowing or breathing.I understand how difficult this is for you .I too focused on body functions thinking I had health problems which further increased my anxiety. Can you start a project where just before you eat that you try some relaxation exercises, like the ones on the side of the page under related information,just before you eat.Also try reading a magazine with pics you like or a tv show while you eat and see if it can distract you.If you can shift your focus and forget a few times then you can logically question if you need to focus so much on wether you will not be able to swallow. Before taking a bite of food take a sip of water and you will see that swallow is working then take bite chew then swallow.Once you have swallowed it is past your breathing area.You cannot choke.follow it with another sip of water.Swallowing happens automatically.If we try to swallow when we dont need to, just to check if it is working,it can be difficult therefore causing us to believe when we have food there that we will not be able to.Sorry for this long explanation but I really want to help you.I know this fear is real.Remember swallowing when we dont need to is difficult for anyone.If you keep checking to see if you can swallow when you dont need to it will just make you more anxious. 
  • Posted

I get that. In fact I had it last night. I was trying to swallow a pill when all of a sudden it's like I couldn't swallow anymore. It took forever to get it down then I freaked out about it and then I would just keep having difficulties swallowing. It's just anxiety. When you are scared of something and are obsessed with the thought of it and pretty much mentally prepare yourself for it to happen again it gets 100x worse
  • Posted

Hi..I know what you Mean..I struggled with that earlier in my struggle of health anxiety over heart..I have been suffering for 6 mths..but I can safely say I overcome that fear. .so don't worry it will sure pass and you can eat like normal again..just eat slowly and small bites..and always stand by a drink with you..
  • Posted

Hi..just wanted to ask how are you?you manage to eat without the fear of swallowing?
    • Posted

Hi I swallowed a tablet earlier and I felt it going down and panicked thought I was choking them I had a panic attack I'm still panicy now 😯 I got put on propanadol yesterday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.