Headaches with decrease in EGFR

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all was wondering if other people have experienced splitting headache when their function has decreased quite quickly. I was 54 around 6 months ago and now 37 and feel very ill and tired/headaches/ sweating eg. Any advice would be great thanks. It's good to talk to other people who have ckd. I was coping well after surgery in 1995 for kidneys until I started anti-inflammatories given by GP around 6 months ago. I am so hoping I will go back to 52 now I have stopped taking Melixicam 15 mg.. Never again!!! Take care x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm probably not the best person to answer this since my CKD was a slow and gradual decline, finally landing me on dialysis, but I personally never experienced any increase in headaches during my decline and I have never heard of headaches being associated with CKD.  However, since there are so many other symptoms associated with it, I'm sure it's possible.

• Posted

Hi Mike

Thanks I am seeing the doctor on Thursday and getting repeat bloods re EGFR drop. How are you doing is the dialysis helping? BP is in 90s so may be causing headaches bit of a shock getting told last week I'd lost do much function after 20 good years. Will let you know how I get on with new test. Take good care.

• Posted

Hi Mike

Hope you are well.. That's good dialysis is helping you. New egfr today is 46 (from 37). 8 days off Melixicam!!! Still feel dehydrated breathless and chest tight.

Take care

• Posted

My husband gets very bad headaches, and has had a recent drop in GFR.  I suspect its related to his blood pressure, but he gets relief from a hot steam and thinks it could just be sinus related. 
    • Posted

Hi there

That's good steam helps your husband I will try that. I have had breathlessness for a year and was told prob asthma but now they think it is not?! I am being referred back to Respiratory Clinic and Renal Clinic. Egfr was 46 so stopping anti-inflammatories was right thing to do. I had no idea they could damage kidneys so rapidly. I now have gout also. I am 52.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I get very painful headaches, its so painful even if i fall asleep and then wake up its still there!! I take pain relief, not iburopfen lol which sometimes helps.They don't go, and normally come when I am dehydrated - its is a symptom of CKD. 

Sometimes its your body telling you to rest.

Take care 

S

• Posted

Hi there

I am resting a lot as I can hardly keep my eyes open when I am at work. Got better news today after yest blood test . Egfr is now 46 (was 37 last week). Now that I have stopped Meloxicam. Still feel ill but hope I can recover a bit more. Now GP asking for repeat bloods in 6 weeks for thyroid a little low. Anyone else had this along with their ckd? It's all so complicated. GP has now agreed to refer me back to Renal clinic as I have so many symptoms. I know many people don't have until later in stage 4 or 5 but I have lots of symptoms now. Thank you Tcare Elizabeth

• Posted

Should have said when I am NOT at work lol
    • Posted

Yes I am very dehydrated with a bad taste and chest tightness 😩

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Low GFR hits different people in different ways.  I can only relate my own experience, for what it's worth:  I didn't start to feel fatigued until my GFR got down into the low teens, and even then it wasn't that bad.  Actually it was probably the least of my problems; my other symptoms were much more significant.  I'm currently on dialysis now and things have improved, although PD only gives you back around 10 - 15%.  But I digress.

Long story short, with a GFR of 46 it seems unlikely that you would be experiencing the level of fatigue you are describing.  Chances are it's related to something else eg. your thyroid.  Perhaps others can weigh in with their experiences.

• Posted

Hi Mike

I have been very breathless for a year and this is perhaps part of the reason for my exhaustion too. I still work fulltime etc. I feel compromised kidneys have put a big strain on me and caused other problems eg breathing. Will see Renal clinic/respiratory clinic soon. They don't think it's asthma and did tests on lungs, heart etc which were clear. Had ckd since 1996. Hope you are doing ok .

Thank you 😀

• Posted

Lol. 

I am at the later stages of CKD, stage 4. I feel certain symptoms more - especially the thirstyness, tiredness, headaches and sickness for me...

I find waking up early and doing some sort of exercise or breathing exercises help (oxygen is higher in the morningss) i tend to do yoga and it really helps me though that is not the same for everyone. 

Having a short nap during the day or going to sleep early helps too. I have a rare genetic condition which there is not treatment for other than dialysis and transplant. Being from an ethnic minority getting a kidney is going to be a long wait! 

Looking forward to dialysis! Fingers cross PD works.  

I got diagnosed in 2014 and am 23 years old now. 

If you don't mind me asking, which hospital are you at?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.