Healed of my trigeminal neuralgia.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi eveyone I was diagnosed with TN in 2011 at the age of 25. Last year it got really bad that I had to be hospitalised and given morphine through an IV which still didn't help. My attacks were HORRIBLE. I couldn't eat, talk, drink or even open my mouth at times. I wanted to kill myself. Layine i nmy bed for days crippled with lightning bolts of facial shocking.  My mum would cry when she saw me in that state. I visited a few doctors and dental surgeons but no one could help me. MRI of the brain showed nothing abnormal. I was so fortunate to find a maxillofacial and oral surgeon that did an xray of my last wisdom tooth on the side the TN affected. The xray showed the nerve in my jaw on the side with the TN was thinner than the normal side of my face. The surgeon came to the conclusion that my wisdom tooth was compression the nerve hence the reason why there was a difference in size to the nerve. I had oral surgey in MARCH 2015 and a few days after the intensity of my attacks subsided. I am now Tegretol free which is amazing because i couldn't go a single day without it. I get very faint shocks (nothing discomforting) now and again which the surgeon advised would happen since it would take approximately a year for my nerve to heal. Whenever i get faint shocks i take cod live oil in the capsule form and it stops. I read that cod liver oil is really good for nerve health so anyone suffering from TN should really use cod liver oil daily.  

I know that eveyone's case is diffent but all aspects should be looked in to because more than one dentist told me my tooth could never be causing my TN. And i know for a fact this is not "remission" because of the instant relief i had after my surgey. 

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patrice

Wow you certainly had a bad time of it. I'm really leased for you that you got results. At first my original dentist and Dr of twenty years ago disagreed that A) I had TN and B) it was dental related. In the end my Dr relented and agreed it was TN.

Thank you for the advice on cod liver oil, I for one will certainly give it a try.

All the best

Gloriana

• Posted

Thank You For The Cod Liver Oil Tip. So Sad To Hear Of Someone So Young Suffering As You Did, No Doctor Or Consultant Can Ever Realise The Pain TN Sufferers Go Through.

• Posted

Hi Patrice,

This is quite inspiring and positive to hear of someone who seems to have fully 'cured' this horrible affliction! I shall certainly try Cod Liver Oil! I have had one session so far of acupuncture and another tomorrow, so looking forward to seeing how that goes!

• Posted

i think you've got everyone one on cod liver oil!, im going to dig mine out now and give it a try. your story is fantastic im so pleased for you and i'll show it to my dentist at the hospital.  just about everyones MRI comes back normal unless you have contrast MRI.
  • Posted

Can it be use as vitamin supplement? Or take that everyday to prevent TN from attacking?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.