Healing after ankle surgery.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I broke my ankle on 18th February ( Tibia and Fibula) had surgery on 8th March. (Plate and screws.) After 6 weeks in a cast and nwb the cast was removed and I was told I could start partial weight bearing with crutches. Today I tried walking with one crutch, this is two weeks after cast was removed. I was very nervous but it went ok. I have also been to physio once but that the was more an evaluation, I was also given a paper with some ankle and foot exercises to do at home. All I can say is to do what your surgeon tells you to do and be patient it takes time a lot of rest and a ton of prayer but you will get there. I am 59 year old and at one time it felt like I would never walk again. Now the pain is minimal but I still have swelling and stiffness in the ankle but it is getting better every day. Hope this helps.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Thanks daphne - have to take it day by day. Is good to hear others experiences and how they are getting on and I wish u all the best in your recovery. Katy x
  • Posted

Thank you Daphne I have been back hospital today

To see the surgeon who did my operation it's 7 weeks on Thursday I'm still having pain in my ankle

We've agreed now it's ligament and one of the screws he did say I've healed lovely and if the screws still a problem he can remove it in a couple of months but I have to go back 3 weeks so maybe earlier if still problem on the plus side I have no boot now and have to start putting my weight on it it's still swollen and it's hard to put you're confidence on that foot again I'm glad it's going well for you good luck x

• Posted

Hi Kenneth I know I also was so afraid to put weigh on my foot again but once I did and saw I could it got better. I also find when I am lying down to keep the leg elevated even though I don't have a cast or boot, I also message my foot from the top of my toes all the way around up to my knee with some bio oil or tissue oil as this really seems to help with the swelling and circulation. Best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you I will get some bio oil i took arnica to get the swelling down as I'm allergic to ibubofen that helped I broke 3 bones and di slocated my foot but it's painful under the foot still x

• Posted

I hope the messaging under the foot will help. Keep me posted. X
    • Posted

It's a herbal remedy Google it I got mine from Holland and Barrett herbalist I had 30c x68 tablets I had 4 day break at the end of the 1st 7 then hade the rest it took the swelling down and bought out my bruising they're really good please Google it x
    • Posted

Hi Lisa I just don't like taking meds all the time, so I have been taking Turmerynne capsules, it is turmeric and cayenne this also helps for pain and inflammation as well as circulation. But arnica is also very good.
  • Posted

This is the way to go! No need to rash beyond your body abilities and a lot of patience. I am 51, 10 days post-op, plate and screws, very concerned about all rehab thing and my ability to walk again. 
    • Posted

Hi olga I was also concerned about the rehab and ability to walk and you are only 10 days post op. I was told that the first 2 weeks after surgery to rest as much as possible and to try sleep well at night as this is when your body does most of it's healing . In the beginning I found it very difficult to fall asleep because of pain and swelling and the cast was so uncomfortable, so during the day I would just rest but not sleep so that I would be tired at night and sleep better. During this time I kept my leg elevated with pillows and kept my room cool as well as this helped me with the swelling. I still keep my leg slightly elevated when I lie down. I found this the first two weeks after the op the worst, but when the staples were removed after the two weeks I started to feel better. This is a very emotional time but keep yourself busy by reading etc. I found making plans for things I will do once I am walking without any aid keeps me positive and now I feel I am nearly there. It is a long road but remaining positive helps you recover emotionally. Listen to your body it will tell you what you can and can't do. God bless and I pray your recovery goes well and even if you are concerned about your ability to walk, you will . X
    • Posted

Hi Daphne, yes sleeping at night is very uncomfortable and also I have pain every night starting around 2-3 am. Taking couple of Tylenols helps, but I found it strange, because I am basically pain free at day time. Thank you for sharing you experience and God bless you.
  • Posted

Hi Daphne I tried put my foot down after going shopping I had such a pain in my foot I soon picked it up again I'm doing it a bit at a time

I went to buy some bio oil as recommended but its £14 a bottle very expensive

I couldn't see on the package that it was a natural inflammatory so it's back to the paracetamol for the pain hoping you're well soon regards dawnx

• Posted

Hi Kenneth I use the bio oil only when I massage my foot and ankle I think it helps, I see you use arnica, don't you get it in a oil from as that could also help . As you know I started walking with one crutch today and every time I lie down I do a bit of stretching exercises and message also keep my leg slightly elevated and I actually don't have much swelling and no pain . The pain you feel under your foot does it perhaps feel like a electric shock (think it's the best way to describe it) because I also get that when I first put my foot down but find if I do a bit of foot exercises before hand helps, also walking barefoot. Would like to hear if it is the same type of pain.
  • Posted

Hi again I had arnica tablets but might be worth using the cream

I will get some when I put my foot down there was a pain in my heal and foot a sharp shooting pain it was swollen at the time as well I am trying to stand on both to share the weight then gently rock onto the

Poorly one just for a minute or so then I sit down and put it up again like yours it's very stiff the side feels like it's going to burstwhen I put weight on it if I can get it down pain free I will be so happy as I'm used to

Being very active it's at its best in the morning as I sleep with it elevated all night xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.