Healing Costochondritis and Anxiety

Posted , 69 users are following.

Hi All,

I have been dealing with Costochondritis for nearly 5 months and like all of you, am at my wits end! It came about after I had experienced a very intense 3 month period of extreme anxiety due to lots of little and big stress factors in my life. I had a lot of physical symptoms accompany my anxiety but after seeing a social worker and psychologist for a few months I am feeling much much better and happy : ) and can see why and how I ended up with anxiety. Basically, I didn't know anxiety could manifest physically and it got worse because I began to become more anxious. Thankfully that is under control and all my blood tests and ultrasounds and bp/ heart rate are all normal and I feel more like a new and improved me. But about the time I got a grip on my anxiety the chest pains kicked in. I understand why and how and have been diagnosed with costo by 2 different doctors. I have tried Meloxicam which seemed to work for a week, but that is about it, apple cider vinegar, drinking ginger and chamomile tea, eating lots of vegetables and vitamins and trying not to life thing (which is very hard to avoid) and still I have costochondritis. I am even lathering myself with arnica gel everyday. I wanted to hear from anyone out there that has had costo arise from anxiety and also any tips for healing? I try to walk as much as I can and do soft exercise but am frightened I am aggravating it all. Thanks for any thoughts or advice smile Kelly

6 likes, 206 replies

206 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Kelly1981 and All,

I hadn't heard about it until last year. Am 46, and have gone through a horrible divorce. Before the divorce and during all of the drawn out mayhem, I had terrible pains in my chest, my intercostal muscles, the middle/upper part of my back (this came after I sat up wrongly after a sit-up). I was diagnosed with costo. It never really went away but had lessened somewhat until this past month when my father was diagnosed with advanced cancer. I find I get a shortness of breath feeling when speaking about something stressful, a sharp pain in my sternum and am finding it difficult to sleep at the moment, particularly on my side. I think stress and anxiety definitely contribute to it but I wouldn't be surprised if something is out of sync in my back or ribcage. I also sit behind a PC 8 hours a day but try to walk at lunchtime. In any case, the 2 major flare-ups came with the horrible divorce and now my Dad's prognosis/palliative chemo and dire outlook. Add also to the fact, I had to buy my ex husband out of the home and re-mortgage my home until I retire and I've no child support. My ex also didn't apply for custody or access for our one child...so you can imagine...a real beaut of a guy......I think I need a holiday with lots of sun. Living in Ireland so no chance of that! Just read over my reply.....God I sound miserable.....but I'll bounce back! Best of luck to everyone!

• Posted

So sorry you are having such  a rough time right now! I too have Costo..diagnosed in Dec 2015. It comes and goes, but when stressful times are occurring it definitely gets worse. I see a counselor which helps alot. Teaching me ways to deal with anxiety and stress. Also ice packs help alot and I take Neurontin which really helps the pain. And I have a TENS unit which helps as well. This too wil pass. hang in there. I pray alot and I feel it helps me tremendously!!!!!
    • Posted

Thank you very much! I think counselling is a great idea. I've been thinking of getting some actually. There is only so long you can be the "strong" one in the family. Something usually has to give! Life is very stressful these days.

• Posted

Hey everyone

So glad i found this forum and found other people suffering from this. Just reading through it is putting me at ease. Going through a bad patch of it at the moment, struggling to sleep most nights in such pain. Afraid to fall asleep thinking im about to have a heart attack. It only ever seems to get bad late at night getting pains in left side of my body mainly. From the chest, down my arm, neck, shoulder blade and even into my jaw. Then i start panicking and getting lightheaded an dizzy.

After 2 trips to the ER, both times i got ecg, chest xray and blood tests, all showed up perfect i got diagnosed with costo. And the doctor told me there was nothing they could do with it just take pain killers but they dont really work. Im 23 and dont want to have to put up with this for rest of my life. But find reading this forum a great help to calm me down when i start panicking from a flare up.

• Posted

Hey! Coming across this post also made me feel relieved. Every symptom you listed off is exactly me! I would be scared to sleep so I would end up staying awake all night with chest pain, it never leaves my mind! It radiates through the left side and down my arm/back/neck. It is truly a scary feeling not knowing and having chest pain like this. I also went to the ER and had every test done, it was all clear so I then got diagnosed with costo which I am now trying new medication for! I'll let everyone know how it goes... it is dilaxopan, and 2 Aleeves daily.

Thanks everyone for sharing!

• Posted

WE are all in this together!!!!!  Hang in there! trying to relax and I found going to a counselor really helps me alot. Also, Heating pad or soft ice pack for 20 minutes helps. And a medicind calledc Neurontin helps alot. Ruling out major things also brings peace of mind too!!! smile

• Posted

Hi...I too had anxiety first then Costro. I started seeing a psychiatrist and a counselor. Meds definitely help. Also Counselor helps alot. I take Neurontin for pain(Not controlled substance) Prescribed by my dr. Soft ice packs help alot. Eating foods high in inflammatory are helpful as well. I take Motrin eventhough I have colitis. Because Dr said I needed to take somthing to decrease inflammation. How does arnica gel work? I was going to buy some tomorrow. Hope some of this helps. We are all in this together and will get well!!!!  smile smile smile

• Posted

using soft ice packs help. Going to a counselor helps alot too. I was prescribed Neurontin which helps. and soft strteches helps too. I too have anxiety and take meds which are helping as well. A TENS unit may be helpful for you too. Does the Arnica gel help?????  I was going to buy somme tomorrow. I pray alot too. Good luck. We are all in this together and wil get well!!!!  smile smile smile

• Posted

Hi Kelly I know u posted this over a yearbook ago but I'm just reading to try & find help sad I was diagnosed with costo 4 weeks ago. Was told to just take paracetamol and ibuprofen for 3 and it's still no better I need fact it's worse! I have been doing yoga just gentle exercises but from what you said can this be one of the reasons why it's not healing 🤔 How are u feeling now? Do U have any advice as it's getting me down. I too suffer with this anxiety so it's all a vicious circle and I. Can't cope anymore sad thank you

• Posted

Hi Kelly I know u posted this over a yearbook ago but I'm just reading to try & find help sad I was diagnosed with costo 4 weeks ago. Was told to just take paracetamol and ibuprofen for 3 and it's still no better I need fact it's worse! I have been doing yoga just gentle exercises but from what you said can this be one of the reasons why it's not healing 🤔 How are u feeling now? Do U have any advice as it's getting me down. I too suffer with this anxiety so it's all a vicious circle and I. Can't cope anymore sad thank you

• Posted

Hello friend, iv been suffering from this for about a year now it comes and goes but now it has sadly developed into full on anxiety and depression for me which sucks, just take it easy and try to

Something relaxing because stress makes it worse I know from experience

• Posted

Thanks ranger. That's what's worrying me I think it is turning into depression sad I thought I was losing it but good that I know the cause I just want to get rid of it and nothing is helping !

• Posted

Yeah I don't wanna spook you but that's what mine turned into, just because of the type/location of the pain it made me anxious like hell because when I took a breath it would be a stabbing pain what felt lik in my heart or whatever so that's triggered the anxiety it doesn't even get that sore anymore tbh it's just this anxiety and depression. I need to get rid of but when I get anxious it definitely makes it sore and I get weird feelings in my chest like tightness or pine and needles type of feeling it's not nice but I'm hoping my new medication can help ( sertraline)

• Posted

I know. Been offered citropam (can't spell) but when u read reviews it's scary. Almost as if these tablets will make u worse initially and that's what I don't want! I want to try and heal naturally if I can. I am seeing someone at the moment to talk through my anxiety. Have looked up what inflammatory food to buy and also I've read that Vicks can help relax and soothe the chest smile so will give that a go. Will hold off on the yoga for a bit and just listen to my relaxation CD. It's horrible isn't it... u just want to feel normal! 🙀

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Have you tried cold soft ice packs? A TENS unit prescribed from your dr. Helps alot and I was prescribed Neurontin which helps pain and anxiety as well. I also see a counselor to help with techniques to deal with anxiety. I take a medicine called klonopin for anxiety(It helps) but thats  prescribed from my psychiatrist. It gets better. There are good days as well I promise. I also pray alot..which gives me stregnth. We all have alot to live for!!! This condition may realy stink, but Thank God its not life threatening!!!!  Im going to try a cortisone injection in two weeks. I hear some people get lots of relief from that. Eating foods like strawberries and bluberries are excellent for anti inflammatory help. Also, spinach is a really good one. Good luck. We are all in this together smile smile smile

• Posted

Yeah I am going to see about seeing a councillor soon Aswell also something called NLP from a therapist so I hope they can help me iv been like this too long and getting worse if you ever fancy a chat don't hesitate to message me sometimes conferring with fellow sufferers can help a little, hope

You feel better soon

• Posted

Hi grace. That's what I thought. There must be other pain killers or tablets other than antidepressants. I work at a hospital and one of the consultants offered me pain patches. Also offered acupuncture but still waiting for dates! I would love to try everything possible without using meds but sometimes we have no choice 🙀 I've gone back in ibuprofen for time being as they must have helped because it's cos me back with a vengeance not taking them. Madly enough I don't like strawberries but read that salmon broccoli kale cherries orange & walnuts also help. Can u get any of those tablets u take over the counter 🤔 Yeah it pretty much gets u down a lot doesn't it. Least it's good to know it's nothing sinister 😊

• Posted

Thanks ranger. Yeah it's good to talk because people don't understand how painful and lowering it can be. Let me know how it goes and if u find anything to help 😊

• Posted

Yes all of those foods are great too!!!! No neurontin has to be prescribed by your doctor. But its not a controled substance or an anti inflammatory. The TENS unit you can buy on the internet, but its covered through  insurance as long as you have a diagnosis...which ofcourse you do!!! We will get through this. Just have to push yourself when you can and rest when you need too!  smile smile smile

• Posted

I will do friend what I will do is send you a private message just so I can remember your username on this because I always go to keep in touch with people and forget it the names and they get lost in my notifications take care
    • Posted

Please let me know how accupuncture works. I want to go for that too!!!!!
    • Posted

Thank so grace. I am trying so hard to avoid meds if I can especially for anxiety 🙈 I am actually off work at the moment so I think I may take the rest of the week as I've not really rested with it since having it. Thanks for ur help and hope u manage to try and stay pain free too 😊

• Posted

Oh yes definitely! Bit nervous about it but will def try it and let u know 👍🏻

• Posted

I meant to ask grace do u feel breathless or just like feel can't breathe at times with the costo or is that my anxiety 🤔 X

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

yes I definitely do!!!! To be honest it can be a combination of both the anxiety and the Costro. Thats why I take anxiety meds. Helps alot. I dont care if Im on them forever lol. As long as they help ease my anxiety and live my life. Im just grateful theres something out there that helps me...smile smile smile   I'm waiting to hear from my drs to start or at least try accupuncture! Please let me know how yours goes. Thanks. Good luck! Talk to you soon.

• Posted

Hi grace thanks for that. Thought I was going mad! What anxiety meds do u take. I've got prescription for amitriptylene but also got citrolpram (cant spell) but scared to take any cos of side effects. You're right I think it's a vicious circle anxiety and costo! Definitely let u know about the acupuncture but off work at the mo as suffering with the pain sad I'm not back until 1st November but will let u know. I'm so fed up of feeling rubbish sad take care xx

• Posted

I take klonopin and paxil. Low doses. But help alot. and Neurontin for pain. Good you are off. Rest is the best thing for this!!! smile smile smile

• Posted

I haven't heard of those but going back to doctors Friday. How long have you had it? I feel as tho it's never going to go as feel worse than ever sad

• Posted

I was diagnosed in Dec 2015. But I have good and bad days. And my meds definitely help. Prayer helps me. Those soft ice packs are a God send !!! Lowering your sugar intake helps alot too. Seeing a counselor helps me sooo much too!!!  Hang in there!!!  smile smile smile Lemme know how it goes with dr. on Friday. Good luck

• Posted

Hi grace I went to the doctor and to b honest I think she thinks I'm a bit under the weather but that's how costo affects u! She gave me a note for 2 weeks! And advised me to take the amitriptylene 🙈 It's only 10mg for a month so think I've got nothing to loser. I need to get better and if it helps my mood a bit altho I don't think I'm that bad. I need to look for another job as that's the main vain of my life atm! Hate it and really gets me down so will take this time to try and make that change smile

• Posted

Thats a really good drug for Costro. I cant take it because Im on other anxiety meds. Thats a good dose to start at. Have you inquired about TENS unit? used cold Ice packs? Take Advil?
    • Posted

I've read about side effects but I think most meds have them. One was dry mouth which I think I could cope with. I'll see how I go.

I haven't tried anything else but I'm hoping if these help me relax that will be a good start as I feel tense and I know that doesn't help the pain 🙀

• Posted

Yes it would! A TENS unit helps  alot, sends impulses to other parts of body and numbs area that hurts!!!  Good luck
    • Posted

I'm a bit scared to take the amitriptylene as side effects 🙈 Do u think I'll know just after taking one if there will be any? I'm anxious enough and now worrying about this 🙀

• Posted

Don't be scared. I'm not a doctor, but if you were to have a side effect...yes it would be after taking the one pill. My son was on it for years for migranes. Helped tremendously. He was 11 when he started taking them. If you are that concerned take one at drs office and wait 30 mins. I've done that before. Good luck

• Posted

Gosh I didn't realise that children could take them. I think when u look at the leaflet it scares u. I really need to get over it as think that's part of my anxiety. I'm willing to give it a try. I think my worse problem is trying to relax sad

Thanks grace smile

• Posted

Sure no problem. I stopped reading those side effect leaflets years ago. Tylenol, advil, everything can have a possible side effect. Usually they are very rare, but because of law suits they have to share them. My son was fine on them. Really if it bothersc you, take one by an er or in your drs office. I used to do that, believe it or not. Good luck!!!!!!
    • Posted

Hi grace I have taken amitriptylene for 2 nights now and unless they affect u afternoon taking for a few days I've been fine smile all I would say is that mouth felt a little dry but read that's common and will settle and when I wake up I'm just still a bit more tired (not drowsy) so I'm just hoping they will help with the pain

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Great news!!! Yes thats a normal side effect. If you weere to have a bad side effect..it would have already happened !!! Good for you for being brave! Not always easy taking new medicine! You're on your road to recovery!!!

• Posted

Thanks grace smile if they help considerably after just a month in which they've been prescribed for I may ask if I can continue until I'm 100%. Thank you so much for advising me you've. been really helpful. I don't know if I'm back at work the 31st or the 7th yet as feel guilty already having 2 weeks off 🙈 but when I do and I hear about having acupuncture I'll let you know. if have it before me let me know. GOODLUCK 👍🏻

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Thats awesome news . I'm so happy to hear that!!! Woohoo..you are on the road to recovery! Wishing you a great week and continuous good health! Keep in touch.  smile smile smile smile

• Posted

Hi grace

Ah thank you smile I am hoping to go back to work next week as I don't feel I may need the extra one but I'll see. I do feel a bit more relaxed and although the pain hasn't completed gone it has reduced but I think my job plays a big part in that! (Anxiety wise) I've been using eucalyptus steamer and rubbing a bit on my chest, taking the amitriptylene and only taking ibuprofen when I need it. How is your pain at the moment? I feel a bit more positive now. Looking back I had this last December and although it wasn't diagnosed I do remember it going so that has helped to know that smile

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Im glad you are feeling better. Yes I have siome pain now in my chest and left arm, but neurontin helps alot as well as soft pt therapy I had today. I too use muscle rub and motrin if I absolutely have too, but its totally tolerable. When Im hurting the Neurontin helps me to rest alot.  Keep going. Im so happy to hear that

• Posted

Hi grace I thought I'd let u know that I've had two sessions of acupuncture so far. Think too early to tell. Doctor put me on naproxen now. Feel bad today and had a horrible episode the other night but think it was stress from work sad physio said my back is really tight.

How are you. Have you heard anymore about your acupuncture sessions?

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry you are having a bad day. Stress and anxiety definitely make the Costro worse.  I tried Naproxen too. Is it helping you? Neurontin helps me. I go to pain mgt center in January where they do acupuncture. I had a bad day yesterday too. Ended up in ER with nasty pain.  They did the normal tests. EKG, bloodwork, and X ray. All normal. Offered me pain meds with codeine, but Im allergic. So I fugured as long as it wasnt my heart. I'd go home ,rest, and take my neurontin, and do my soft ice packs. And watch some Christmas movies. I felt better. I'm ok today. I heard that accupuncture for what we have has been pretty successful. But doesnt work over night. So hang in there, be patient, and dont get discouraged. Pleaese let me know how you're doing. Hope youre having a great day!!!  smile

• Posted

Oh no that sounds awful 🙀 Sorry to hear that. Where do u get the pain most, did u feel it was something else or did u just go knowing it was the costo but couldn't manage it? 😔 Awful isn't it. I'm glad u feel better today. I don't know whether naproxen helping but not always taking the prescribed dose cos I don't like keep taking pain meds. I've got another 3 sessions of acupuncture so I'll see how it goes. Doesn't exactly help me going straight in to work after it. I work at the hospital so have it in work time, not ideal really but hey hi. I'm going to start going to sit in my car for a bit after just relax for a bit before going back. I hope u find relief over the next few days. I think rest is important isn't it. Nice to know u have some meds u can rely on tho and know they will help smile I'm still on amitriptyline which helps me relax but u fortunately doesn't help with work! I'm looking. For another job after Xmas cos I think it plays a major part in how I'm feeling.

Take good care grace and I'll let u know how I feel after I've had all my sessions smile

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for your kind words! I wish you good luck with your accupuncture! I'm sure it will help you. I agree stress plays a major role with this condition. I have an echocardigram today at hospital. Dr. is just ordering it to rule out anything since I've been to ER so many times. I'll let you know how it goes. I pray it will  be normal. I'm sure it will. Hope you have a great day!!! and a painless one too smile smile smile

• Posted

Hi grace how did it go today? I hope the results were positive. When u have gone to ER is it because of the chest pain or other symptoms?

I've been really upset this week, things gone in at home and trying to juggle 100 things at one time 🙄 I have felt so rubbish again today. U just feel ur going to have a heart attack don't u! This pain is awful, not even a pain u can describe is it. I really hope u r ok and hope things have settled 😊

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Thankyou so much for your kind words. Technician said he saw nothing alarming on the echo!!!!!   Yes I went to ER because pain was pretty unbearable and I knew my Blood pressure was up from being in pain.. Im sorry u have felt so lousy. Youre right. The pain from Costro is indescribable!!!!!  But we will make it through all this. And realize on the great days how much we appreciate good health and no pain!   have you gone to Dr. recently?

• Posted

Watching funny movies and Christmas movies..help cheer me up!!! Please hang in there. We are all in this together...smile smile smile

• Posted

Last time I went Grace he gave me naproxen and still taking amitrypilene. The pain still comes and goes but I know most of it is caused through work 😖 That was good about your results. It's just so frustrating isn't it. Just want it to go away 😔 What are you taking at the moment? Did the doctor suggest anything else. I was contemplating the injection but read that it's painful and doesn't always work?!

Yeah Christmas movies sound good 🎅🏻🎄 least takes our minds off it x

• Posted

Hi Lisa,Thanks!!!!  I take amitriptoline at night to go to sleep and helps pain too. Neurontin has been a God send for me. Really helps with the pain. And its not a narcotic. I'm so sorry about your pain. I know it really stinks! I too read the injection hasnt been that successful. Ask your dr about Neurontin. Have you ben to a pain specialist? Rheumatologist? I have appt in January with Pain dept. Going to try accupuncture. I have heard it has really helped some people.   Theres also a web site for Costro exercises. Shows really good streches......Lemme know how youre doing. I pray alot too. It helps me.

• Posted

Hi grace. I may ask about the neuraton. I'm on naproxen at the moment for another 2 weeks. I have had 3 sessions of acupuncture. I think it's starting to help a bit now but cos my job is so stressful sometimes I feel what's being done is being undone if that makes sense!

I've been doing the door exercises to help stretch the chest. I think that once I have sorted other problems it may settle in time. Keep me posted with ur pain appts but def try the acupuncture 😃

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Wow thats great news!!! about accupuncture. Im realy happy for you. Sorry your job is so stressful. yes, unfortunately that affects the Costro. Now i really want to try accupuncture.  Yes, Neurontin is helpful!  I tried Naproxen, but didnt seem to  help. Let me knoe if it helps you at the end of your course. We will get through this!!! Keep me posted, and I'll do the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.