Healing "lesions?"

Posted , 15 users are following.

I was dxed with HS about 6 months ago, after dealing with on and off lumps/boil like things for a couple of years.  It had gotten pretty bad in the fall, so I finally broke down and went to the dermatologist.  They put me on a low dose of antibiotics  A couple of the lumps then opened and began draining.  And eventually, both of my armpits had open wounds in them.  There are 5 in one armpit and 3 in the other.   I went back to the dermatologist after dealing for 4 months and she basically said "yeah, that looks like it hurts" and told me to use vaseline and telfa pads to cover, as well as tests to see if it was infected (it was.)  So, she rx-ed another antibiotic, a stronger dose.  

Well here we are 2 months later, and the wounds haven't healed yet.  In fact, yesterday when I went to change the bandage, 2 of the lesions are about to "join" up.  It almost feels like my skin is just ripping open.  I haven't actually had any new lumps since I was diagnosed, but these open lesions will not close.  I think it's exacerbated by the fact that it's in my armpit and therefore never really dry and still. 

Does anyone have any secrets for getting these things ot heal?  I am so frustrated with the pain, the constant "leaking" and expensive bandages.   I have recurring yeast infections due to the antibiotics and I am just so frustrated with my body!!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there

so i was dealing with HS for 5 years started when i was 38. my mother had it in her underarms around the same age. i had them in my groin which was awful... painful. derm doctors put me on doxy for 30 days at a time which worked for a bit but then came back. i would get stereroid injections also worked for a short time. being so frustrated i would start talking about it to a co worker she mentioned she had them in high school. she even had whats called a cyst necklace which was HS on the back of her neck all the way across that left bad scarring. anywho she had the myrena in at the time & it was coming up on 5 yrs & she had to take it out & either leave it out or put another in she opted to leave it out saying she wanted to see what would happen... well the HS started to return she then went & had the myrena put back in & stopped getting it. here i am no answers from any doctors they come when i start my cycle & then start to calm down & then i get my cycle again over & over. so i said im going to go get the myrena put in & see what happens. its been 6 months & the HS is gone i could hardly believe it. i get one here & there when im due for my period . this is all hormonal. i truly suffered & this worked. now going to all my doctors i say if your patients have this tell them about the myrena. oh & btw i was on humira too reluctintly for 3 months & it didnt work. good luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.