Healing Time

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I just had a 22 cm cyst surgically removed two weeks ago. My right ovary and tube was removed alongside the cyst. I had no pains or issues beforehand, just weight gain. The first day after surgery was hell due to the large incision (pelvic bone to belly button), but since then I have been progressing really well. I have stopped taking my pain killers and am able to go on walks around the neighborhood just fine. 

For those of you that have been through this, how long did it take your body to feel completely healed? I just want to know an insider's perspective to figure out how long it will be until I feel 100% myself again. I know every body is different, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey,

I'm 24 and had a 30cm cyst removed a little over a month ago. I'd say by week 3 I felt completely normal again and was off pain meds. However, my incision is much smaller than yours (only 3 inches horizontally on my bikini line) despite it technically still being a laparotomy. With a larger incision, I'd give yourself at least 4-6 weeks to fully recover. I went back to work about 4 weeks after my surgery.

• Posted

Wow! Did they get it out in one piece? That is incredible! Thank you for the reference. That sounds about right, I'm 25 and seem to be healing pretty fast as well.

• Posted

Well originally they thought they would have to cut vertically like your incision, thinking it was attached to my right ovary. They also warned me that I might have to lose my right ovary and tube if they were completely mangled by the size of the cyst. Turns out, when they got in there, the cyst was not attached to anything anymore, and they think it actually came from my tube and not my ovary. So they just popped it, drained it, and sucked the sack out of the 3 inch incision. I am very impressed with my surgeon's capabilities and I barely have a scar! They suspected it was benign as per my CT scan and bloodwork but had they suspected it was malignant, they would have opened me up completely and taken it out whole and probably my reproductive organs as well. But, luckily, everything stayed intact!

• Posted

Oh my goodness! You are so lucky. And it does sound like you had an amazing surgeon. 

Mine was benign, but it had completely engulfed my right ovary and tube and stretched all the way to the bottom of my ribs, so it there was no getting around the large incision. They also found endometriosis, so they had to do some cleaning up to my left ovary. 

Being a lady is tough.

• Posted

It really is.

Mine was taking up my entire abdomen and pressing on my diaphram, but I really had no obvious pain or discomfort. I went to the doctor got a general exam and he felt my stomach and then boom, found out I had a huge mass in there via ultrasound, then via CT.

• Posted

That's exactly what happened to me too! Bodies are strange. All my friends are freaking out and scheduling doctors appointments because they are freaked it could happen to them. 

Well cheers to being rid of our monster babies! And thanks for sharing your experience!

• Posted

So glad you are doing well. I had mine 3 weeks ago, although mine was just laporoscopy. For me, I felt so much better the second week that I overdid it. This week I have been trying to listen to my body more and when I start to feel pulling, soreness, or twinges of discomfort I sit down! I too would like to know how long it takes before I will feel completely back to normal and can exercise like I used to. I'm worried now that if I take an exercise class I will pull or tear something. I think healing is a process that just takes time. Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi. I had my 24 cm dermoid cyst removed last year when I just turned 32. I had the same type of cut you had. Please don't rush it, I went back to work after 5 weeks and wished I would have took another week. I work in an office setting so I would forget to stand up or move around and that would lead to painful rides home.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.