Healing too fast?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a THR on the right (posterior) on Nov 9th. I am currently functioning at about 90%, just being cautious with the precautions. If I stretch the leg too much I get a bad cramp in the gluteus but other than that I have no issues walking, sitting, standing. I use a walker when out and about but not much at home, I just go slow and steady.

I had resurfacing on the left in 2007 and it broke 7 weeks in (pin through femur) so I ended up with a THR on that side. I remember recovery being very long, I remember using a walker for 4-5 weeks.

I'm hoping my recovery continues at this pace. I am doing my exercises but no PT was recommended, just walk, walk, walk.

Has anybody else experienced a speedy recovery? I only take pain meds at night when the leg is tired and cranky.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

People recover at different rates at different times. Last time it was the second surgery, following the pinning and the subsequent break, so that is possibly why you took longer to recover from the THR than last time. Just keep steady and careful as you are already doing
  • Posted

Hi Teri.

I had my survey on 27th oct and am also healing fast I think. I’m walking on crutches to pick the kids up from school every day and doing housework, shopping, cinema, pub lol. Saw physio today who said just keep going and do what ur body is able but do remember to rest up too! 

I’m desperate to get off the crutches but she said to hang fire for now as my walking gait isn’t quite strong enough yet.

I’m also off painkillers, just the odd paracetamol if I get sore. Sounds like you’re doing great! X 

• Posted

Dear Jane

We'll done. I think your physio is right.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

Dear Teri

Yes it was very quick and easy for me with my first one twenty years ago but I would caution you to carry on taking care for the first eight weeks whilst your bone is growing into the prosthesis.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

Hi TerI

I had same approach as you and same outcome.

The only problem is that you feel you can do more and on occasions forget you had the op !!!! Just ensure you follow restrictions and you'll be fine.

Sandra x

• Posted

UPDATE: 3 weeks post op

I had my post op appointment with my surgeon and everything looks good. I keep getting twinges (where I yelp at work and scare everyone!) but it's just the large inner thigh muscle healing. I'm back to work full time but end up having to use my cane at the end of the day because my chair seems to irritate the muscle after awhile. I've actually considered bringing my spare recliner in so I can relax with my pillow under the knee! Very pleased with the results so far and NONE of the original pain that was there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.