Healing with an aircast after 6 weeks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all! I have been in this aircast for 6 weeks due to a fractured foot. I had my checkup today and the doctor gave me the go ahead to start walking on it (with the cast on at first and then gradually take it off) I just have two little questions as I forgot to ask while I was there.

1. How do you exactly walk with an aircast? 🙊 it just feels so awkward cause of the roller heel. I just cant get used to it.

2. Its been the mandatory six weeks and I've been sleeping with the cast on at night for this long. Should I comdinut sleeping with it or take it off now as its been six weeks?

I really appreciate anyone who decides to take the time to answer my questions! Thank you!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm not at that stage yet as I'm still early days, what is an aircast?

I have a full hard cast

• Posted

An air cast, is a type of removable boot. It has little balloons/air pockets on either side inside the boot that your can inflate and deflate to adjust the snugness.
  • Posted

I have an air boot also and have just begun partial weight bearing and walking. I started PT the day have the cast came off and the boot went on. First they have we exercises to do to improve range of motion. Before walking they had me just stand with my crutches and shift weight from one foot to the other, as much weight as I felt comfortable with in my bad foot. Almost a week later I decided I was ready to start walking with my crutches.

This is what I do: Boot foot goes first (left for me). Crutches go forward with my boot. I place them about at my heel. I step with boot, rolling from heel to toe with as much weight as I can handle (not much right now, my upper body takes the brunt of the weight currently through the crutches). I bring my good foot forward, landing slightly ahead of my boot. Then I do it all over again.

I hope that made some kind of sense. When I decided to walk, I stood there and thought "Wait, how do I walk?" My husband walked and then have me suggestions.

As for sleeping. It's best to call the doctor and ask. At 6 weeks when the hard cast came off, my doctor told me I only had to wear the boot when I'm walking.

• Posted

Hi Candice, l can't really answer your questions, I'm not at that stage yet. Please join the FB group, Broken Ankle/Foot/Leg Recovery-on a Quest for Normal. It's an amazing group, everybody at different stages of recovery and so much information. I don't know what I'd done without it! Xxx

• Posted

I'm at 9 weeks post ORIF for ankle fracture / broken fibula - male 51 years old.  I had a plate and a few screws.  I was non weight bearing for 8 weeks.  This is the first week walking with the boot.  I agree with Amanda on how to walk with partial weight bearing.  Put the boot forward along with the crutches to support some of the weight.  My doctor told me to let the pain/swelling level dictate how much weight and how much to walk around.  I eased into the first week walking around about an hour a day then increasing to 2 hours.  I had swelling at first but not significant pain so I continued to increase the time and weight on the ankle.  I am now at week 2 of non-weight bearing and am down to one crutch and putting 80-90% weight on the ankle.  My swelling is now minimal and minimal pain.  I am also doing the range of motion exercises regularly when I am not in the boot.  I only wear the boot for walking.  I take it off when sitting in a chair and definitely take it off for sleeping.  The more you foot can move around at this point to improve range of motion...the better.  Best of luck!   John

• Posted

Hello John

?Where you told to inflate the air pockets in the air cast ?, re reason I ask is my husband 52 had an ankle fusion before Xmas after 6 months we have been told its not fused they have given him another aircast as the original is now battered, in with the new boots was a pump and instructions regarding pumping up the boot for compression.  When we were given he original boot we where not given a pump or even informed of the air filled pockets. So now think this is the reason why his ankle has not fused.  Having to go in again for another operation.

• Posted

Greetings Candice,

The Aircast CAM boot is certainly awkward enough to walk in. The unusual curved bottom is supposed to help by furnishing a "roller action" to facilitate an ankle patient's forward movement. Like you, I found that it actually felt unnatural and no help at all. Eventually you will walk okay enough in it anyway.

If it has been 6 weeks since fracture and doc says start walking on it now it is probably safe to say you can take it off in bed (the only reason doctors want patients to wear it in bed is in case of possibility you could turn or twist in your sleep and possibly harm bone setting-- but once you are weight bearing that danger should not exist. As always, if in doubt call the doctors office for clarification.

Don't forget to wear the evenup appliance on your good foot's shoe so your feet (and legs and body) will be level when you walk with the boot.

You should be in ankle rehab already. There are plenty of recommended ankle exercises you can do while still not completely weight bearing. These exercises will give you an advantage in your later recovery and hopefully reduce the severity and extent of pain and struggles as you proceed to normal walking activities.

• Posted

At my 6 week checkup my dr said I can sleep without the boot as long as I'm not a sleepwalker and wont forget to put it on to get up to the bathroom. Believe me you will sleep great. Its a good idea to put an ace bandage on at night to give you a little support and protection.

?Totally agree with the crutch partial weight bearing. Let the crutches bear most of the weight of the injured foot at first and let your comfort dictate when to progress. Of course you'll progress at the instruction of your therapist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.