Health Anxiety

Posted , 105 users are following.

Good Evening 

26 year old male here working as an occupational therapist. 

Have a question relating to health anxiety, has anyone else experience when reading up on there physical symptoms and reading related symptoms to diseases ect they start to physically experience them also?. 

My physical symptoms are.. 

Pins and needles occasionally in hands and  feet daily. 

Tingling limbs this also includes hands and feet. 

Floaters in both eyes. 

Full body twitching and jerking throughout the day. 

Digestive problem such as excess gas, bloating stomach noises. 

Muscle tension and pain. 

Headaches 

Sharp pain in middle of chest happens throughout the day. 

Heart palpitations, rapid heartbeat where I can feel my pulse constantly in my hands, neck, arms, back of head. 

Docters are pointing to anxiety, had full blood count came back normal. And MRI Head and Neck.

Been offered antidepressants although I don't feel anxious or depressed I do feel constantly edge. 

And feel that I might of develop health anxiety due to the symptoms im experiencing. Thinking I have got MS, ALD, Eye cancer, brain tumour, or rare digestive disease...

I have now started to become fixated on my moles on my body constantly thinking they are changing or develping new ones. I'm starting to feel insane..

I am enrolling in counselling with my first session starting on Wednesday evening to expore and to give rationale towards thought process. 

Thank you for reading commets would be greatly appreciated. 

19 likes, 130 replies

130 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I know this post is few months old but I would like some advice on this becuase I think i might be experiencing this and am so scared and worried

• Posted

Hi...is anyone still on this thread? Just looking for information on how to cope with this! Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,

I'm not going to be of much use because I have really bad health anxiety but I do find that coming on here and chatting to people eases my worries and I sometimes listen to soft music whilst going to sleep as it helps my mind not to worry. I am also on sertraline which has helpe to rationalise my thinking x

• Posted

Hi holly! Thanks for the info! I think I may do the same. I'm not on anything, that's a great idea! 
  • Posted

Do any of you in this thread suffer from extreme bloating?  I also have health anxiety which has led to a lot of symptoms but this one has been going on for over 2 months now. I have had tests done and am currently awaiting results from a ct scan. I'm a nervous wreck about getting the results cause of course I think it's gonna be a tumor in my intestines. My stomach is constantly bloated and hurts 24/7. I get no relief EVER!!!!  I'm wondering if this is another symptom of anxiety or if there's really something wrong with me.  Any replies would greatly be appreciated. 
    • Posted

bloating could be due to a food intolerance or allergy - perhaps try some tests for this or eliminate certain foods from your diet if you think it could be something in particular! 

I had lactose intolerance which cause really terrible bloating. I think  the constant bloating could definitely be a response to something you are eating/drinking!! 

Gluten intolerance - is another common one! You should check it out!

• Posted

Hi richard.. I am literally experiencing everything you are/were. Constant eye floaters, chest pain, arm oain, wrist pain, gas, bloating. Constant what if thoughts. I go to the dr at least 4 times a month. Ive been to the er. Ive had a holter monitor for 24 hours at the heart dr. They all say anxiety. I am also on the hydroxyzine/atarax. How is everything going for you now? I have been experiencing this for 3 months now.
  • Posted

Hi guys and richard i am glad to have joined this group. Actuall i do not have most of those symptoms..The one that has been bothering for years is the tingling sensations all over my and i have been to the doctors a few times..They keep telling i am fine that i should just try to relax. This thing have embarrassed so much that my girlfriend of 4 years cannot even sit on laps because she is always uncomfortable. I feel really frustrated by just looking at other couples having a good time.
    • Posted

I also do feel cold sometimes and i find it difficult to stay in an airconditioned room..My body starts to shake after just 5minutes. This body tingling has really caused me alot of pain. My girlfriend has not choose to discuss it openly with me but i believe in her mind she will be saying..What the heck is wrong with him. Please i need your help..What are your taughts?
  • Posted

I have also been suffering from these same exact symptoms if not more.Some days are okay but I haven't a normal 1 in a very long time. It also seems as if my symptoms change its very scary I have been admitted in the the ER over 10x within a year. All my test results are normal ct/ blood count /cholesterol/ ECG/ I go so much they ordered me to see physciatrist I'm not crazy I know what I feel and I know this is out of control.Its been this way since 2013 I really don't see myself ever being normal again I can't drink/ vacation/ relax/ or anything without this stupid anxiety I don't understand how this condition can affect your entire life I'm so on the edge I'm scared I may always be this way.

• Posted

April, I know this is 2 years old but I wonder how you are getting along these days?

I'm doing the exact same thing and hoping there is an end to this!

• Posted

I'd love to hear how you're doing, Richard. I am experiencing a lot of the same symptoms, and my doctor has run a battery of tests... All negative so far. I have been on antidepressants since I was 12 and my issues began during my first year off of meds, so I have to wonder if it's not all related. I have definitely had anxiety attacks, and (same as many of you) I went Google-ing and scared the daylights out of myself. I am sick of wasting time and money at the ER. Did you ever get help? Has anyone ever gotten through this? HOW?
  • Posted

Hey mates how you doing? I been given anti depressants for a year now didn't really fix the problem. I just wants to mention if your having lack of focus and concentration, constipation, twitching and pins and needles, you most likely have an issue with dopamine so look into early on stage parkinsons.,not als or ms. Dopamine is what we need for focus and concentration without it you feel sluggish and spaced out
  • Posted

Im so glad i found this forum. I literally have been going thru this for a long time now. But this past year has been hard for me.

It all started with a new itchy mole ive noticed since i was 19. Im now 25. I was always self conscious about that... thinking i had skin cancer. Asked friends and doctors to look at it on my yearly physical.. looked normal. But i still wasnt satisfied. Also every where i went there was something that linked to skin cancer. I was begining to think it was signs that i was dying. It wasnt till last year in january that i had the first panic attack. I was sure i had skin ca. I began to have a headache which lasted me 3 months. I thought the skin cancer had metastasized to my brain. I also fel body pains especially where the lymph nodes are located. I had muscle aches and joint pain.. severe heart burns.. upset stomach, nausea, loss of appetite.. upper back pain where the mole is located. I couldnt help but to google everything. Which made matters worse. That month i must have went to the emergency room 3 times and had several physicals at different locations. All seemed fine. I was still not satisfied. I ended up going to a dermatologist.. where they check various moles since all of a sudden more of them were itching. They reassured me everything was normal. I was more at ease. I used to Wake up in da middle of the night .. cried myself back to sleep. All i thought about was me leaving my 3 year old son without his mom whom he is very attached to. I had bad depression. This used to take up my life... could concentrate or focus on anything. Eventually i told myself to snap out of it or get help... i felt mental. I snapped out of it... until recently all my worries are back and worst. Ive been having gastric issues... fatty stool.. constipation, proctitis.. so im thinking colon ca. Headaches are back .. its been about two weeks exactly the time ive been tellin myself i have colon ca. Body pains in the dame locations as b4. Bones are hurting as well so you already know my thought process. Im terrified.. i tell my close family hoping to get reassurance that its just mental.. but experiencing these physical symptoms just gives me anxiety...

While reading this forum i was just laughing because it is exactly what i have been going through. I could identify with every single person here. I am kind of embarrassed to dicuss this with a doctor.. but this is debilitating.. taking over my life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.