health anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with health anxiety, started in may this year. I can't help myself, every time I get pain, I go straight to doctors or hospital,  Everytime it turns out to be nothing, just anxiety. Constant chest pain, pain in arm on and off, tension inbetween shoulder blades, anyone else get this? And what else do you experience with anxiety? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

With my health anxiety it tends to be i focus all the time on for instance a dry mouth, or a lump in the throat, or feeling dizzy etc. I know all these things are anxiety related, but it still sends my anxiety into overload. And then i focus on them more, which makes them worse - and so it goes. If you now have a diagnosis, then thats a good thing - it means its easier to get help.  Therapy would be more effective, it will help you get to grips with the underlying anxiety - without anxiety there is no health anxiety, it always comes first.  Medication cannot resolve issues, it just masks the symptoms which is typically not helpful for health anxiety.  My advice would be to get into therapy when you can
    • Posted

I had my first session with a psychiatrist on Tuesday, having sessions once a week with him. I can't take tablets as any side effects makes my anxiety sky rocket. When I first started having anxiety it felt like my throat was closing up, constant feeling of someone strangling me, tight chest and racing heart. Now I get chest pains, no energy and tension going from shoulder blade to shoulder blade plus a feeling that I can't breathe properly. It's horrible, once I get used to the feelings I'm getting, it changes to something else 
    • Posted

I'm the exact same, I don't take meds for the same reason. A psychotherapist may be more suitable than a psychiatrist as a therapist is not as led by medication as a psychiatrist is. I know how it is, I'm the same as you are
    • Posted

The one I saw was ok, he doesn't agree with medication as it's just a short term fix and doesn't help you with why it is happening 
  • Posted

Hiya I get this all time I go straight to doctors uve been going about a few lymth nodes on neck that havnt gone away can feel them  they said it's okie but I don't trust them.  At the moment my throat and neck feels tight like I cnt swallow all muscle are tense and I hate it lol what do ur doctors r say clx
    • Posted

they say everything is ok, bp, heartrate are normal and air ways sound clear. like you i dont trust them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.