Health anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.

I have been having anxiety for 5 months now,i havent been clinically diagnosed yet but i studied psychology and im very sure i am suffering from health anxiety.i all started with a nightmare and woke up feeling anxious and awful numbness and tingling feeling on my hands,shallow breathing and breathlessness.i got panic i guess and thought was having a heart attack.ever since then my mind has been fixated on that and im constantly worried about my heart.it has disrupted my daily life alot and i can hardly enjoy food and all the normal things i use to enjoy.i went to see doc and got blood test,blood pressure done and everything seem fine in fact the doc certify me in a pink of health.i just cant seem to get over the thought.i married with a loving husband and precious 1 yr old whom i dearly love and i cant stop thinking about dying and stuff.its hard.im 23 btw

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Doesn't sound like 'health anxiety' sounds more like generalised anxiety disorder. Worrying about anxiety symptoms doesn't mean you have hypochondria as you're just worrying about a symptoms of a panic attack.

That being said its scary, I understand. You just need to challenge your thoughts, see your GP about therapy. (Try not take the medication option until you really have too.)

• Posted

I guess but im slowly starting to become obssess with my health am constantly thinking something wrong with me.right now im just worrying about my heart.im thinking of therapy.
    • Posted

I do the same, I'm always worried my hearts gonna stop. I got a HR monitor etc (which I don't recommend lol) but trust me, it's a generalised anxiety problem, health anxiety would be more along the lines of OCD behaviours like rubbing your skin cause you think you have cancer or something. In therapy they'll get you to challenge your thoughts I'm almost at the end of my treatment, and I'm very close to kicking it to the curb. I still have moments where my heart skips a beat and I'm like 'oh no!' But then I just remember I'm not in pain I'm not dying nothing's happening. It's just cause I'm anxious. Then it goes. smile
    • Posted

Thanks for the support.thats exactly what i told myself nowadays too.just have to stay strong ☺
  • Posted

So many people worry about death and dying. The fact you have a baby spurs thats because you want to be there for your child. Just a thought here but i wonder since the babys been born if your sleeping well. Its stressful the first two years when you have a child and if the baby is with you in the room it can be a bit more difficult to sleep well.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the reply.I sort of have post natal blues,i wouldnt say depression.my son is the first baby we have in the family in a long time so every one was all over him to the point that i couldnt have him to myself.and i was unable to breast feed so naturally i felt like as if my son wont be close to be due to that plus everyone was constantly carrying him.i just felt so down and cried alot.especially cause i took a much longer time to recover from childbirth and due to the constant aches and pain and ofcause the sleepless nights,i was always irritable and stress.my hubby was very supportive though.and now im much better and i know that my son loves me and finds me especially when he needs comfort.he does sleep in the same room.i really wanna be healthy and strong for him and raise him up with lots of love and affection.with this thoughts all of a sudden and panic attacks i just feel like crap.i hope its all in my head and nothing is gonna happen to me and i will be able to live for atleast 30 more years.whenever i have panic attacks i will feel shortness of breath chest pain and discomforts which shifts to my left side and right side.i do feel sharp pains on my back.and just pain fatigue and body ache which just wont go away. before this i was happy and enjoy going out with my husband and child now i just wanna stay at home and no mood at all.i hardly eat also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.