Health anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm hoping someone can help.  I recently about 3 weeks ago stopped the antidepressant I was taking, it was mirtazapine. It really helped my anxiety and the vertigo disorder I gave, but had side effects.  My health anxiety is back bad.  I wake each day with adrenaline and anxiety.  My psychiatrist put me on Ativan but I'm afraid to take it everyday.  All my muscles ache, nausea, worry and fear, headaches.  All I can think about is how this is effecting my heart.  I can't stop thinking about being anxious and I keep reading what it can do.  I'm consumed with it.  I feel paralyzed like I'm afraid to move, I feel like a fool.  I don't know how to stop thinking about getting a disease. Does anyone else feel like this 24/7? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yeh i suffer from health anxiety and have these symptoms 24/7 plus more.. still seeing doctors to rule out anything sinister though
  • Posted

I have the constant dizziness and chest pain headaches body numbness the whole nine yards everything sharp pains in my head I'm super sensitive to every feeling I have want to go to doctor but no health insurance I live In constant fear I feel like I'm never calm

• Posted

Hi. Understand, have that feeling with my anxiety when it's bad. Wake feeling my heart is racing, butterflies in stomach, shakey , then the racing thoughts start, worrying about 'will I wake up every morning like this. It is awful, but so far it has always passed and been down to just going through a bad patch with my anxiety. Your gp probably gave you Ativan to calm you as your coming off med, this can give you similar symptoms , waking shakey and heart racing. Hope this passes for you, know it's scary but could just be pure anxiety, see your gp again if it carries on much longer. 😊??

• Posted

Hello, I'm currently on Prozac once every three days and Ativan whenever my anxiety gets really bad which lately it had been every other day. Dizzy, shaky, heart racing, etc. I also think that there most be something else wrong with me. I have had several tests done, even an MRI of my brain because of the dizziness. I do have hypothyroidism and I'm not sure if I'm reaching my pre menopause symptoms as I'm 42 yrs old. I really would like my doctor to referred me to an obgyn doctor and a endocrinologist. I sometimes think all of these symptoms could be hormonal. Not sure what to think anymore. Lately, the dizziness, nervousness and shakyness are Gerry worse. I do understand your frustration. I really hope we all find a cure to this horrible disease. Hugs!

• Posted

Patty818, 

This is typical anxiety..which for me is fear. It will consume you if you let it. I have learned to tell myself: stop excessive worrying because it makes me sick. I recently reduced my buspar down to almost nothing but I did it vert slowly over the last year. I didn't just stop taking it, because that can surely cause major anxiety. I still have bouts of panic and fear but I have learned to adjust by knowing that the worrying is just excessive (identifying it)and also try and get a good hobby like music or walking to help focus on something else. A sedative may be a good option for you right now. Your doctor wouldn't prescribe it to you if you had a heart condition. I hate taking medicine, but if I have to keep taking it, I may. Only you know yourself. Good luck....I hope im somewhat of a help.

• Posted

Out of interest, why did you stop taking the antidepressant? I completely sympathise with you... I had a breakdown at the start of the year and was saved by mine (Prozac). If you’ve gone downhill since stopping, that tells me they were benefitting you? Of course I’m not a doctor but I can relate so stontgly to everything you’re saying... I wouldn’t even consider coming off my anti depressant at this stage. Let us know. Love and thoughts. Xx
    • Posted

I stopped it because of side effects, I was swelling and having extreme legs aching.  I tried  other meds and had effects.  Now I'm on the Ativan only but really don't like it.  But will continue trying. 

• Posted

Im with you, I seemed to have more side effects taking meds. I took Buspar. It made me where I couldnt think clearly, couldn't remember at my job...so I gradually stoped taking it so I could function!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.