Health Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I had Covid at the beginning of May, About a week into it I ended up in the ER because of extreme stomach pain and what seemed to be a panic attack. I've never had a panic attack so I was not sure what was going on, my skin felt like it was burning and I wanted to pass out. I've always had anxiety and have been on Wellbutrin since 2008. My anxiety has always been mild and seemed like the Wellbutrin helped. The week at had Covid, my anxiety was very high, after I got sick and went to the ER for the stomach pain and almost passing out, I continued to have stomach issues and other weird symptoms. My Dr ran me threw several tests and found out that my gallbladder was low functioning and causing my stomach issues. I had to have surgery to remove my gallbladder, my anxiety was high for that. I ask my Dr about the other issues I was having that seemed to be nerve issues, shakiness, skin burning, pins and needle sensation, blurry vision, sometimes I think I couldn't breathe, high heart rate, head pressure, etc. These symptoms would come and go even if I wasn't feeling anxious. My Dr ran me threw some other tests, MRI, blood tests, stress test and everything came back good. My doctor has set me up for and EMG and referred me to a neurologist. My Dr had also referred to a behavioral health for counselling. My Dr believes my symptoms are from anxiety because they come and go. My anxiety has been extreme since May because I was sure what was going on with my health, but I've never felt physical symptoms of anxiety before. After speaking with BHNP yesterday, I have been diagnosed with health anxiety and I'm being switched from Wellbutrin to Effexor. I still have a hard time believing that my physical symptoms are from anxiety. I hate feeling like this, it seems like I have more bad days than good days.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

anxiety can cause numerous physical sensations. Even if you don’t feel anxious if you have an underlying anxiety it can happen. But just know that it’s not dangerous to your health. Most of the sensations are a result of release of adrenaline. you can get anxiety off and on and it can pop out of nowhere. I’ve had many many physical sensations from anxiety and stress. so yes it is very possible. take one day at a time and don’t overthink things. I’m also sending you a private message. Take care

• Posted

Hi James, i have had similar physical symptoms from anxiety where my pulse goes through the roof, i feel dizzy and sick etc.

my counsellor said that after years and years of anxiety being supressed or pushed down, it will come out as physical symptoms which alot of doctors dont make the link to (physical and mental) so its good to hear that your dr seems to have done that.

I dont have it as bad as you from what your message says but just know that its just your brain telling your body to have physical symptoms in order to make you address the mental. talking really helps so i would definitely go ahead with any further counselling/therapy even if your Dr doesnt refer you any further.

i really hope that you see improvements soon!

• Posted

Thank you for your responses. I took my first dose of Effexor today and it made me really sick, like I wanted to throw up. I started sweating and getting a burning skin sensation in my body. I took a zofran for the nausea, but still having the sweating and burning skin. I wish this would stop.

• Posted

Hi James,

I have a health phobia, so I know what you're saying. As for the sick feeling after taking your med, well, my doctor told me to expect it. She said it would take a while to get your body used to it. Hang in there. Think positive and imagine how wonderful it will be to not have those horrible fears anymore. God bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.