Health anxiety/ALS

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’d like to start off by saying I have been having health anxiety for about as long as I’ve been alive. I’m a 24 year old woman. I’ve also had a bit of health issues, and have what I’ve come to understand is somewhat chronic pain, which I take medicine for (amitriptyline), caused by an ischiofemoral impingement, diagnosed this fall.

About two weeks ago I started to feel a strange tingle in my leg. Over the next few days, my right leg started to feel tight and strange, and weak, and I started noticing twitches. It also ached a bit, and was painful to use. My right arm also felt somewhat weaker. I could also feel on my right leg that my calf felt smaller and tighter. I went to a neurologist and he cleared me, saying he could see no atrophy what so ever, and all his tests on my reflexes also turned out normal. I did an MRI on my entire body this fall, and they also tested my spinal fluid, and other than the impingement in my hip nothing weird turned up. My neurologist said they would have noticed something weird when doing those, so I can relax. I just get scared everytime I walk because I feel so unsteady and I’ve yet to see any improvement in my leg, it tingles and the twitches are still there in my leg. I also have some twitching in my left leg. I’ve had anxiety my whole life and he said what I really should focus on is my mental health, which I would like to agree on. Should I press for even more testing or should I try to just relax? This is really putting a strain on my relationship. Grateful for answers.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I'm so sorry to hear this. Have you heard of Functional Neurological Disorder or FND? It sounds awful but it's a mind/body condition that can be brought on by stress and anxiety. I'm getting a sense that it might be linked to that. In answer to your question I would go back to your doctor and ask them to assess you for this. Sending you loads of love. Stuff like this can be a bit scary sometimes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.