Health anxiety and ectropion on cervix

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi just wondering if anyone could give me any advice really. So i went to the doctors the other week as my period was late... she said she would do an internal, after the internal she said everyhing looked fine but she noticed a graze on my cervix (ectropion)... at this point my health anxiety went through the roof😨 she said it is caused from being pregnant or on the pill (im not on pill or pregnant) my doctor doesnt think its anything to worry about. Im worried sick as i suffer from terrible health anxiety, i keep thinking its cervical cancer. Anyone got any experience of cervical graze/ectropion???

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there.....easy to say but don't worry. Some people are born with it. Its not linked to cancer and just means a bit of the cervix is eroded. You might have had it from birth. I had the bottom part of my cervix taken off a few years ago and its all healed up fine. Xxx

• Posted

Hi annie thankyou for replying im so worried about it... ive had smears in the past that have been normal and ive had an internal before and none of them have ever mentioned i have an ectropion. My gp said it might not have been there before and its a hormonal thing... ive read so many things online about it and it has scared me s******* 😫. I do suffer with bad health anxiety so im not the best when it comes to medical things. My doctor said she would refer me if i want for my own piece of mind... she does'nt think i need to be referred though. Just petrified its cervical cancer, anyone ive spoke to does'nt know about ectropions and have never had one so i feel really scared x

• Posted

Just wanted to bump this... if anyone has any helpful info on this ectropion thing would really appreciate your input. Anxiety is through the roof 😢 X

• Posted

Hi there....somehow I got an alert for another thread you had posted in about your anxiety and antidepressants.  Trust me......anxiety is not helping you erosion issue.  Sort out the anxiety and then the rest will sort itself out.  I have two children like you and have been on meds since my last child was born.  They do work and it takes a while....a good few weeks to feel the full benefit but it's worth it to get back on track and continue living.  Anxiety swallows you up......every small thing is major then you stress, then worry then it all starts again.  If the Dr says it's nothing with the erosion then go with it.  Get checked if you still want to and maybe have the small op to remove the area......similar to when I had a colposcopy and they burnt the bottom of my cervix off.  All done under local and actually not that bad at all.  To be totally honest it's like loads of things......if you hadn't have been told in the first place you would be none the wiser and your worries would be less.  It's so common and sometimes all the poking and prodding doesn't help when you get checked out.  My advice for what it's worth would be spot start antidepressants and then that in itself will start to help you.  Others won't agree me but e are all entitled to an opinion.  I wish you well. 

• Posted

Hiya Annie i know what your saying is right and really i know deep down i should go with what my doctor said... but then my mind takes over with the "what if's". When i first went because my period had'nt come i was thinking ovarian cancer then when she told me about the ectropion it went to cervical cancer... now i bk to ovarian as ive had abdominal pain on bottom left side of tummy, ive also had diarreah and now i feel a bit constipated and my stools are hard...sorry for tmi. I started meds last thursday...xx

• Posted

Morning.  A lot of the pains and tummy issues come from being anxious and also starting the meds messes body up a bit at first.  It won't seem like they are working but they will.  You won't notice it......then one morning you will be sorting the kids out and find yourself singing to the radio or something like that. Then you will realise the meds are starting to work.  It's a brain thing....the seratonin....honestly I have been there and I know that it will all work out but it will take time.  I used to worry myself sick especially whilst waiting for the results of the colposcopy but now it's all behind me.  And it will be for you too.  Where about do you live? I'm in Hampshire xxx

• Posted

I bloody hope so... to be honest i have'nt felt too bad since taking them, dont know if i feel much difference. My partner said he has deffo noticed a difference in me since i started them...i jump from one illness to another, did you ever do that??? Im inbetween cervical C and ovarian C... so bloody frustrating😠. Im from Lancashire (North West) xx

• Posted

My family keep saying if i had anything sinister going on then my bloods would of shown something out of range. I had a complete blood count in July and they keep saying it would not of come bk ok if i had cancer anywhere in my body... so confusing xx
  • Posted

Shame you are so far away.  I take Fluoxetine which like Paxil is an SSRI so it boosts the seratonin in your brain.  It will take a good while to work properly.  Stick with it and never ever just stop taking it.....ever.....even if you feel fine.  To stop suddenly is a definate no no.  You stop taking it very slowly through the Dr.  Ok.....lecture over! I am pretty sure that once the pills start to kick in you will be able to put the cancer into perspective.  You will wonder what on earth you spent so much time worrying about.  Trust me.....it's true.  You don't have cancer......you just have a bit of an eroded cervix......that's it....it's a bit thinner than it should be but then some people are bald and others are fat and others are blind.  We are all different and just because it's been picked up that you have this eroded patch, well that's all it is......just a nurse or Dr telling you that is what they have seen. You will be able to think better in a couple of weeks or so.  You need to stop looking on the internet and googling and worrying.  Grab the buggy and go for a walk or meet a friend for a coffee.  Seriously grab life and enjoy it and when you are out or with someone it will take your mind off your worries and then the days will go quicker until the meds kick in properly. I hope I am helping as I am trying but it's so hard because I was like you for too many years.  I turned 40 last month and it was the best thing ever.  I've taken up running again, ditched the so called friends that I didn't really have time for and made new ones, do as much as I can with hubby and the kids and live each day as I want to, not how other people want me to.  Lots of love xxxx

• Posted

Awww Annie you are a massive help to me and i really appreciate you taking the time to speak to me😊💜. Well im hoping they do make a difference as i have refused meds for over 2years because i thought "no i should be able to do this myself"... does'nt always work like that though. Ive been to the doctors nearly every week for 2years thinking i have one type of cancer to another... i think ive litrally gone through every single one (shame on me). Its just so real in your mind though isnt it😠. So did you have health anxiety????? You sound like your over it now which is brilliant😊👍. I started at the gym with my partner a few months ago but i have'nt been for a few weeks so i need to get bk into that too. My partner is a massive help but he said if i carry on with the "dr google" he is going to either take my phone off me and get me a crap one 😕😂 or he will have the internet cut off🙈. So i have tried my best not to google the last few days... i just dont know whats happend to be honest because i was never like this before, it seems to gradually creep up on you and before you know it your in the thick of it. My family are really good but sometimes get annoyed with me, i think they think im a bit nuts thinking ive i have one type of C to another. People dont understand untill they have been in this position and it's bloody hard. I wont stop the meds i promise😂 ive to go bk and see her in a month to see how im doing on them... no doubt il be bk in to see her before a month haha... trying my best to ignore symptoms aches and pains and not go to the doctor. Thanks again Annie 😊 xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.