Health anxiety and IBS flare ups!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am a 29 years old male, 12 years ago was diagnosed with IBS, after a 6 month battle with chronic anxiety and panic disorder, I finally beat it and everything was good....12 years later, I have recently a few months ago recovered from a bad bacterial infection, after several blood tests and ultra sound scans, it was confimed, I was good, yet my stomach continues to cause pains, discomfort and cramps....thus causing me to freak out more and start telling myself these symptoms are something worse, even cancer.....despite having the all clear with blood tests and ultrsound scans, the doctor confirmed, my anxiety is the cause to my IBS this time around.....its been 2 months and my anxiety is getting worse and worse....my health issues (IBS) are still causing me issues and despite knowing that my IBS symptoms are leading to anxiety over my health which is leading to more symptoms, its like I know my time is up.....well...thats how it feels....I have started Tai Chi again, along with Meditation, hoping this will help, but I have so much anxiety in me that my mind keeps repeating sinister causes for my confirmed IBS pain....are any of you suffering from the same concerns....the same symptoms...the same anxiety issues? Any advice on how to get back control of my life would be appreciated....I am breaking down everyday to a point where I am making myself feel sick.....I need some advice and assurance that what I have is typical and that the sharp pains, burning pains, aching stomach and wind and nausea are all effects from my IBS and that I can beat this with getting rid of the anxiety

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

IBS is a horrible condition because there is no full 'cure' and people who dont have it dont understand how seriously it effects your wellbein. The best advice I can give... as patronising as it sounds... is to try and live life as normally as possible. Dont stop yourself doing the stuff you love because you have a digestive disorder. The more you panic and dewel on things the worse it will be. Try Silicol Gel. Ive found its working quite well for me so far. Also try and see a professional about your anxety. I has some CBT sessions and they really did help. Even if it was just helpful for me to rant and cry at someone for an hour each week. Im a 21 year old female and have had ibs since i was 16. Ive bascially lost the so called 'best years of my life' to it. Couldnt go out with friends, drink, etc. It took a major wake up call for me to realise that life is too short to be p*ssed off with it. Sure, I have down days. But just because Ive got a digestive disorder doesnt mean i should live my life the best i can and have goals and dreams etc. Additionally not eating is going to make you feel worse. When im really struggling to eat i go 'BRATY' : (Banana, rice, applesauce, toast, yogurt) make sure the grains are white because they arent so difficult on the stomach even though they might not be as nutrious. Similarly try cooked oats/porridge, chicken or chicken noodle broth (not creamy soups) eggs (not fried) and salt crackers/oatcakes etc. plain foods. Sometimes mash potato is ok also or boiled potatoes. Basically not the skin. If you want fruit/veg make sure its well cooked, and i find that blending my own fruits and veg and making a smoothie is easier on me than eating fruits, especially easier than eating my 5 a day when I can barely eat. It also gets nutrients inside you which it sounds like you really need. Finally, white meats (fish and chicken) are good too (dont use oily fish at the start and dont fry it) and avoid fatty cuts of anything. 

Ive lost alot of weight with Ibs so proper nutrition and calorie counting has become a bit of an 'obession' with me because if your body is malnurished its going to be even more of a struggle to function. Pain in ribs is a sign of this, but also an ibs sign rolleyes.... On good days I try an have nutbutter spread on crackers and stuff for extra calories and nutrition. I find this is good protein and calories and good fats and because its in a butter formation its easier to digest than nuts. But start with the blander food first.

I hope some of this helps and good luck. :smile Feel free to message me if you want anymore advice and sorry its a bit of an essay. x

• Posted

Hey..! Just wanted your suggestion..! I have been to the doctor many times he always says that your mind is creating all this stomach problems. But symptoms are soo real that its very hard to ignore it. I have health anxiety and I am not able to accept it. 
  • Posted

Sorry, I just dont know what to say.  I am suffering too and started an antidepressant because the doc said my anxiety is a huge factor and the antidepressant can help calm me down and therefore calm down the symptoms, so I am trying Celexa right now 10 mg cause it slows me down so much but he wants me to take 20 mg.  I have such anxiety about all my illnesses and get depressed that I feel this way.  Its so hard.  keep in touch and godspeed!
  • Posted

Go lactose  free straight away I bet within 48 hours you will notice a complete change 

I promise you it will help you try it and get bacK here and tell me if you notice a change in your IBS good luck Boho.

• Posted

I couldnt agree nor with this! Going lactose free has really changed my life and I no longer have debilitating ibs symtoms. It was relatively easy to replace dairy for alternatives too smile Anxiety still triggers flares but I can now get it under control again x
  • Posted

Sir,

Until very recently I have suffered in various ways the symptoms of IBS. 8 years of anxiety, stress and very embarrassing moments.

I have tried hypnotherapy, lotions and potions - to no affect.

I then tried EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique.

After 6, 1-2 hour sessions I am beginning to truly get my life back - being me again.

It seemed pretty weird to start with, and I'm not sure how long I will feel great for, but this has made an immense difference to my life.

It is worth a try - I'm glad I did.

Good Luck.

• Posted

Thank you all for the feedback, I am working on my anxiety which I know once I can control, I will live my life again.....last night was the hardest night ive had for some time, feeling sick when trying to sleep and then havin a nightmare that i have a serious illness....waking up stressed and full of panic....I know my IBS symptoms are real and are being made to last and cause issues from my anxiety....I am currently doing Tai chi and working on meditation and also on the Emotional Freedom Technique which is calming...also stating to go for long walks to help my anxiety....today is a new day and I need to get myself under control....thank you for the replies....I know I can get over it...but it is tough....the whole day my mind works against me
    • Posted

I get alot of anxiety at night especially and it makes it hard to sleep. When and if I do finally get some sleep i have weird dreams about food, really strange and way over the top. But even so they play on my mind and in the morning I can get really paranoid about food because ive had some dream that has just plagued my brain.... It is all because youre anxious about ibs/food and the daily struggles that you find come with it.  I hope the meditation and other techniques work for you. Good Luck and try to stay positive. Positive thinking can overcome many barriers. x
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply...I appreciate the boost. Your right, positive outlook and focusing on reducing stress is the key. I have now had many anxiety attacks in the past week, all causing my stomach to worsen and become weak...anxiety has this effect....so now I focus a lot more on 'what if' its something serious.....I understand this is a common feeling amongst IBS and GAD sufferers....so I accept the anxiety and I will focus for many weeks on beating this....If my problems still exist in a few weeks time, I will again have to go to my doctor for further assurance that I am fine, something I do not want to do as it leads to longer waits in results...something that adds more stress and anxiety
  • Posted

I am just coming down from an anxiety fueled ibs flare up. I was 99 percent sure that it was my ibs but the 1 percent of not knowing was wreaking havoc on my brain and body. This Friday I went to the Er only to be told that everything was normal. I was 99 percent cured after assurance it wasn't anything sinister. All I can say is to relax and if need be get assurance that everything is ok. Best of luck to you

• Posted

I too suffer really bad with IBS and anxiety. I have a few triggers to mine. Stress, greasy and spicy foods. I’ve been rather stressed today and my ibs has flared up chronically. I find Buscopan helps massively and breathing exercises to try and remain calm as awful as it sounds. I understand anxiety and it is horrible to live with as it can take over our daily lives. Try not to stress. I’ve seen a few comments about going lactose free. I’d definitely recommend it! I’m lactose and gluten free. Gluten free wasn’t a choice as I’m intolerant to wheat but wouldn’t go back on it as it’s a healthier option. Try taking daily exercises like a walk or take the dog for a walk if you have one, try breathing exercises. Write everything that goes through your mind down on a piece of paper and then burn that piece of paper, works for me! I also have prescribed beta blockers from my doctor, propanolol. It just slows your heart down and you don’t have to take it daily just take it when you need it. I hope something works for you. Just try everything! Good luck! 
  • Posted

In addition to the advice about dairy, getting exercise, avoiding spicy or greasy foods, meditation and breathing exercises (I do progressive muscle relaxation and listen to binural beats music) I have also had some success with 5htp and, because i have food allergies and seasonal allergies ( something i would recommend anyone with ibs do is get a skin prick test to make sure some of your ibs symptoms are not being triggered by an allergic reaction) I also take allergy meds when i have a flare up. Maybe this is weird and wrong, but if you think about it a flare up with ibs diarreah is a bit similar to a "colon sneeze" you feel anxious, you feel a pressing need to go, what comes out is watery and you get momentary relief...until you have to go again. If anyone has had a similar experience or tries this and gets some relief with allergy meds let me know...maybe there is an important link here. God bless everyone and good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.