Health Anxiety! ANXIETY RELAPSE.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My story is long but I'll try and cut it short as possible. There were alot of deaths around me in the year 2014, i also went through a difficult break up alot went on in my life that year. In 2014 I developed servere Anxiety & Depression mainly Health Anxiety, I quit my degree I had just started and also left work I was housebound depressed and full of anxious thoughts, I was convinced I was dying of all sorts of illnesses and diseases. So I went to my GP got help was put on Sertraline and referred to do CBT, the first month was awful i went from 50mg to 200mg of sertraline and developed what i thought was every side effect possible before i knew it within 3 months I felt like I was cured i had my life back. Suddenly the past 3 months I feel like my health anxiety is coming back full blown I have in the space of a month had yet again every illness the main ones convincing myself I have asthma which my auntie passed away from In 2014 and a stomach ulcer which my grandmother passed away with the same year. I also had a panic attack in Nandos which I convinced myself it was a Nut allergy and ended up in A&E now everything i eat or drink I think im going to have and allergy to which is terrifying me and effecting my life again. My GP put me on propanalol which I took once thought I had an allergy never took it again. I am going on Holiday in the morning and terrified I'm going to develop sun stroke, it's ruining my life in all sorts of ways and when I get back from my Holiday I'm going back to my GP and going to request CBT again I think any medication will make me worse at the moment with me constantly thinking I am having allergies. Also the anxiety symptoms are constant, constant tightness in my chest, gas, indegestion and IBS symptoms. Just curious if anyone had had an Anxiety relapse and how they went about it and what was sucsessful. Hope to shed a more positive light sooner. X

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

First thing I would say is forget cbt, it's a pretty ineffective route to follow. Ask your gp for a referral to Psychotherapy for proper therapy
  • Posted

Id try an anxiety med to start with taken as needed. I think if you have the right dose you wont be thinking you are having a reaction as it slows irrational thoughts down. They dont have as many wierd side affects as anti depressants. Just a thought. They also work fast.
    • Posted

Yes I'll see what my GP says about starting medication again will it be starting from the bottom again the whole process of 50mg up to the effective does, sertraline helped me last time so I do have faith in this medication.
  • Posted

eat a good diet that an allergic person would eat or have allergic Tests done.sometimes these medicines work but only for a while because they tend to strip nutrients and vitamins from the bodyyou may need a nutrient drink ora vitamin supplementhave a test to check your vitamin levelstake normal precautions so you won't get sick
  • Posted

I would say you must give your meds time to kick in they will make you worse before you get better im on citalopram and propanalol it took fours weeks before the citalopram kicked in and almost straight away for the propanalol. they wont kill you but in time will be of benifit to you Im sorry to see how you are suffering its horrible and ive been there I went on holiday about five weeks ago got to the airport where the security all crashed and i was convinced we were being sabotaged i even asked the officer. know i realise how irrational my thoughts were but i know i wasnt well at that time your brain is fighting over the rational and irrational thoughts its totally, totally horrible.Im about to start cbt in a couple of weeks. this was the worst time i have had anxiety but im coming out the other end and remember tell your self you will only get sunstroke if you sit out to long in the sun cover up and tell your self you wont get it because your covered up. i cant sit in the sun to long as it gives me palpatations and when i go abroad i go when its not at its hottest in that country. anxiety can and will ruin your life if you let it i know its hard when we are in the thick of it but focus on the positive you know you will come out of it again and keep telling your self that. try and enjoy your holiday and make some good memories 
  • Posted

I hope you go back to studying one day because it gives me focus with my mh problems.  Anxiety is a terrible thing but if you can overcome it by doing activities you will be better for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.