Health Anxiety but too scared to go to GP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone else have this - I have a constant stream of health anxiety issues but very rarely make an appointment to see my GP because I am too terrified of the whole experience and possible results. I spend months ruminating on the problem - googling it - a no-no I know - etc until it either goes away or something more pressing takes it place. I have been plucking up the courage for several months just to go to the opticians to have my eyes tested for new glasses because I din't want my eyes photographed - even though I am under the hospital for a different eye condition anyway. I just can't go for any type of tests at all - if I ever get a hospital letter I feel physically sick - just the sight of the breast scanning mobile units sends me into a panic and I know I've got to go soon and I am dreading it ..............there's just no peace. It's not just health issues either - loads of other stuff 0 I am so tired...x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know how this feels very well. Recently I was going through a bad anx time, and was day by day feeling very ill. Eventually I went to hospital and it turns out I had an infection and was dehydrated. Terrifying to be forced to go, but relieved too that it offers some explanation for feeling bad
  • Posted

Its better to go and ease your mind.  I know its scary but sometimes whatever the answer is you would be able to deal with it.  Do some breathing techniques before you go and try to tell yourself that everything will be ok.  

For the first time, in the last couple of months I had developed Anxiety.  I am 31 years old and before I hardly went to the docotors or the ER .  I now had visited the ER in total of 13x's and my GP 6 x's.  Because my body went out a wack and i wasn't sure what was going on.  I was finally diagnosised with GA/Panic.  I had developed Health Anxiety now where as before I didn't dwell on my symptoms.  I can't beleive how my life had change so much, but I have to accept and try to move on even though its hard.

Don't leave yourself behind, go to the doctors/ER, take a family member with you.  I wish you all the best, and just remember that no matter what it, you will deal with.  Keep a positive mind.  

Take Care of yourself and God Bless,

• Posted

Hello Lyn,  Sorry you are going through all this.  I know exactly how you feel. Like you under the eye hospital several problems won't bore you, but still anxious about

routine eye tests.  Like you I have spent a lot of time googling symptoms.  I try not to do that too often,  Hospital/doctors letters/tests also send me into a panic  I have just postponed routine breast mammogram because it was to much to deal with on top of other problems.  Now I have to make another appointment. I am not much help I know but wanted you too know you are not alone in the way you

feel and react.  I have just asked for some xrays because of back pain (suffer from arthritis) and although I don't want to go I know that I will feel better once they are done.  Have you tried CBT it does help a lot of sufferers. Good luck and hang on in there

• Posted

HI, thanks for your reply - I did try CBT but it just didn't work for me - I guess maybe because I knew what was expected to happen and so therfore fought against it or didn't believe in it. I tried to explain to my therapist that you can talk all you like about hot thoughts and possibilities of things actually happening etc but when you are in the grip of the irrational monster the logic just goes out of the window. Even though you know threre is only a 1% chance of something bad happening you believe totally in the 1%. I could never get past that. I know what you mean about postponing appointments because you feel like you cannot deal with x number of things in one go. The trouble is that no sooner is one thing resolved but another takes it place - lots of times they even overlap. Occassionally there are small pockets of respite but mostly there is always something - it's no way to live. At times I feel like I've been cheated of my life and that makes me sad. 
  • Posted

I feel the same way.  I was a lot worse years ago and had to take antidepressants which did help me a lot.  The problem was I gain a lot of weight, which I’m still trying to lose.  This gave me even more health anxiety.  I manage to go every year for blood work, s d my results are usually very good, but I have such a fear over getting diseases it’s rudiculous.  I haven’t had a mamogram in 6 years and keep telling myself I will get a colonoscopy by age 60.  I will be 57 in November.  I never had any problems or any call backs from a mammogram, nor dies cancer run in my family.  I just have such a fear of going and them calling me back it’s awful.. I’m a grown women and feel so ashamed of myself...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.